2012/2013 Season Improvements.

Kyle

Most skiers aren't middle class...most middle class people can't afford to ski.

The shit that comes out of your mouth some times......

Thats complete bs that most middle class people can't afford to ski, It all depends on what they spend their money on. I know plenty of middle class people who ski on a regular basis, including me.

anyway, i agree with molly on the slow snow thing, they need to figure out a way to filter the salt, or at least as much as they can, out of that pond water before they blow it onto the mountain. Although it wasn't too bad this year, last year was horrible. It was like trying to ski/snowboard with 100 pound weights strapped to the tail(s). I realize this may be out of bear creeks hands but it'd be nice to see fixed.

Park wise:

I think it would be cool to add some street style features to the park this year. I know we dont have a whole lot of room to work with but it'd be cool to have something like this set up in the park, could easily be made out of snow,

15096_1_lg.jpg

Kyle you're a fucking college kid. You aren't any class...I'm probably considered lower middle class by many but most skiers and riders in my opinion are on the wealthy side.

Yes I am a college kid Doug, great job, want a cookie? I still live in my parents house when I'm not living in my appartment, my family is middle class and as far as the government is concerned I'm still part of a family that is middle class.

• Like 2

Wouldn't being a college kid actually make him poorer than the average middle class person? I don't see where that argument comes from... In terms of earnings vs expenses, I'm sure his pass is more expensive than yours because he has less money... And he's probably got more expenses due to tuition etc? I'm not seeing where the argument is?

Wow, how a topic can get ugly within a few short posts! :popcorn:

Regarding the beer-n-food post awhile back, the beer selection has always been pretty good, with prices on the high end of acceptable. The food otoh has been hit or miss when i spent a good deal of time there. They had good grub in the grill when boston culinary was in there, and then really good stuff under the great Franco Brady. When BC mark gave him the muddy boot, the food was still good but there were two times i recall it being mediocre at best and too expensive. Haven't been back since but i still am trying to give it another go this summer.

A college kid doesn't have as many expenses..if a college kid makes $10,000 a year at a part time job they can conceivably spend a couple grand a year on skiing and maybe get a free trip or two with family. On the flip side a family with a household income of $100,000 a year with a couple kids..house..two car payments...might not have several thousand extra a year for skiing for the entire family unless its a huge priority.

You're forgetting the looming debt that hangs over almost every single college kids head, I made around 12k last year and maybe had an extra $100 a week to spend. and thats a big maybe depending on other expenses that came up. I can't speak for many college kids but when i'm working, my parents don't pay for anything, except the occasional thing here and there. I understand what your saying about a family but that is a very bold statement that many middle class families can't afford to go skiing.

Doug, let me ask you this, putting however much you make aside, Do you find yourself not spending money on certain things so you can have money to go on trips to jackson hole or to buy new bindings/boots/skis/poles etc? It's all about priorities, i think the reason many middle class families don't go skiing is not because they dont have the money, its because they would rather spend it on a new flat screen tv or a new sectional for the family room, or for a new iphone for their 9 year old kid.

I think it's more about location then it is about class. If you live close to a hill you can get into and enjoy the sport at any income level. If you are hours away and have to factor in the expense of renting or owning a second home to participate in the sport you have to be able to afford it.

If you are skiing with any regularity you are probably not middle class. Study after study after study shows Americans almost always identify as being middle class when they are not.

The problem is what is middle class on paper and what is middle class in people's minds are not the same thing. I don't really give two fucks, I make good money because people need my skills, if that makes me upper middle class or rich whatever...

The hilarious thing about this is if you live in America there is 90% chance you are in the 1% globally so to someone from say China this is a bunch of rich people arguing about who is less rich.

The bar / grill in BC is the best of any east coast PA mountain by far...its not even close. Great MT vibe, reasonably priced beer and quality food...can't really ask for anything more.

There isn't much that BC needs to change from the last few seasons. Some new park features maybe, and having ski patrol actually go through the parks every now and then and get people that don't belong in there out.

Since we're now on the topic of food, season pass holder discount on stuff would be great. Even if it is 5%. They make enough money off the ticket buyers and weekend warrior that they can afford to give us pass holders a little bit of money off our food purchase. I believe blue jfbb and camelback do this? I could be wrong though.

the grill has a better draft beer selection than any bar within 20 minutes I'd bet. I'm often surprised by the micros they have in there, 5 bones for a micro draft is not expensive in my opinion. All the food I've ever got in there is pretty damn good, the cafeteria in the lodge is another story.

M-bike, I would totally go for a mountain bike ride followed by beers. I'm not very fast on a bike these days though, still better than most though I'd say.

the grill has a better draft beer selection than any bar within 20 minutes I'd bet. I'm often surprised by the micros they have in there, 5 bones for a micro draft is not expensive in my opinion. All the food I've ever got in there is pretty damn good, the cafeteria in the lodge is another story.

M-bike, I would totally go for a mountain bike ride followed by beers. I'm not very fast on a bike these days though, still better than most though I'd say.

Ever been to the kutztown tavern? I'm not of age to drink but I went to lunch there with my dad during school and he spoke very highly of their beer selection. Fairly close to bear as well. Make a left out of bear creek, follow that road out basically to the d

• Like 1

i meant to say deka factory in my last post. my iphone decided to auto correct it to deja. as for a time reference to anyone, the tavern in about 12 miles from bear. google maps say it takes 30 minutes, conservative driving could probably make it there in 20, i made it to bear in about 15 when i was up at school.

JF/BB have a good deal for season pass holders in that respect plus they really take care of their employees. Bear really is out for the last penny people will cough up as i remember absolutley nothing special done for pass holders in the few years i had one. Employees there get food discounts but only in the cafe. JF/BB give discounts to employees on all food AND booze, which helps bring the prices down from resort level to a more normal level. It's perks like pass holder deals and taking care of employees that generate a sense of loyalty and when it comes to owning a business, that is one of the key things you must strive for to stay in business.

JF/BB have a good deal for season pass holders in that respect plus they really take care of their employees. Bear really is out for the last penny people will cough up as i remember absolutley nothing special done for pass holders in the few years i had one. Employees there get food discounts but only in the cafe. JF/BB give discounts to employees on all food AND booze, which helps bring the prices down from resort level to a more normal level. It's perks like pass holder deals and taking care of employees that generate a sense of loyalty and when it comes to owning a business, that is one of the key things you must strive for to stay in business.

I believe passholders get some sort of discount in the tune shop and the retail shop, although that will still break the bank. Bringing the price of a 90 dollar hoodie down to 87 isnt really taking care of your passholders.

Bear does try to do a season passholder appreciation day which includes discounts on items and giveaways and all that sugar coated PR stuff, but thats been cancelled the past couple of years i believe.

In the long run is it going to kill bear creek to give people, who are spending upwards of $400 dollars BEFORE the season starts, a 10-15% discount on food? probably not, the money they'll "lose" will easily be made up on a friday night with the massive amounts of school kids that come in on a bus with mom and dads money and buy outrageous amounts of food.

I'll say this much about the ole Doe, at least the owner and manager walked around the place and talked with customers. Some gave them kudos and others bent an ear and for the most part not much ever got done or improved upon (likely no $$$ to do it). The ONLY time I was ever approached by a manager at BC was when the head of food services, Franco Brady, would come to our table and ask how the food and/or service was. I'm not exaggerating when I say that at least 75% of the time I ate in the Grille, Franco came around to check in with us and nearly every other dining party there. Now, if the head guy Mark Shrotel, or perhaps the head of ski school or any other manager would do half of that, then at least I'd get the feeling that someone gave a shit there. To be fair, Elk is worse and Sno not much better (save for the days when Dick Ford owned it for a short time).

I've seen and talked with a bunch of management people at the bar in the years that I have been going to BC.

I think it was 2 seasons ago (maybe 3) I was there and was talking / drinking with some guest services people and had mentioned / complained / bitched about the lack of lights on the landing of the top jump on BB. A little while later in the season there was a light there.

I've seen and talked with a bunch of management people at the bar in the years that I have been going to BC.

I think it was 2 seasons ago (maybe 3) I was there and was talking / drinking with some guest services people and had mentioned / complained / bitched about the lack of lights on the landing of the top jump on BB. A little while later in the season there was a light there.

it was 2010/2011 season because i remember you bringing it up on here. The top two light towers on black bear had two lights that pointed in almost the exact same spot leaving the landing of the first jump in a dark spot, you mentioned it on here and i remember within a week they moved the light so it would illuminate the landing of the jump.