12-13 Ski Season weather?

GoPrOwithSTYL3

last season's ski conditions were alright..... PA kinda sucked but lucky for me I go to Killington VT every year where I got 140+ trails to ski. In PA the season started maybe...a tad before Christmas? Do you guys think that this season will be any better? Maybe starting up early december? I hope so....

Tell me what you think.

Looks like someone is trying to jack my weather thread... I think we are due for a cold and snowy winter season soon, but something about this year is making me nervous :-/

Yea I am hoping for early or mid december and lasting till maybe end of march. that would be good.

I just want a powder day every Wednesday...is that too much to ask for?

Powder.... In PA?? When was the last time THAT happened? :(

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I would think that snowfall in PA has much less an impact on skier visits because PA typically has very little snowfall... In the northeast where they get 5-7 times as much snowfall, I think it has a larger impact...

Two seasons ago there were at least 8 powder days and I'm not talking about wet cement..fucking Pixie dust...blower...cold smoke...Titty sparkles in PA!!!!

Few and far between, unfortunately.

I believe snowfall has a large impact on skier visits in PA. Its called the backyard affect,

and to think last season i had the most ski days ever (for me)...i actually didn't mind having all of BC to myself ;) just wish they would have blown more snow.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I would think that snowfall in PA has much less an impact on skier visits because PA typically has very little snowfall... In the northeast where they get 5-7 times as much snowfall, I think it has a larger impact...

There are parts of PA that avg 200", Eastern PA does not get alot of snow, western pa, particularly the Laurel Highlands area does.

Blue Knob has a couple of legit 6" or so in most years.

I don't care what kind of winter it is, right this second all I want to do is go skiing.

Two seasons ago there were at least 8 powder days and I'm not talking about wet cement..fucking Pixie dust...blower...cold smoke...Titty sparkles in PA!!!!

truth. it was like every wednesday for 2 months. it was the best year i've had in PA.

There are parts of PA that avg 200", Eastern PA does not get alot of snow, western pa, particularly the Laurel Highlands area does.

best PA day I've ever had was Seven Springs with about 6 inches of snow 2 years ago. thats the year they got 300"?? and the trees were fantastc. it was like skiing a shitty hill out west.

I think this winter is gonna be an average winter, boulder will open first, probably around december 5th, with Blue following it up on the 10th, bear on the 12th, and the rest of the areas mixed in between those dates.

as for snowfall, i wouldnt mind getting dumped on a couple times but itd be nice to not see as much rain.

I think this winter is gonna be an average winter, boulder will open first, probably around december 5th, with Blue following it up on the 10th, bear on the 12th, and the rest of the areas mixed in between those dates.

as for snowfall, i wouldnt mind getting dumped on a couple times but itd be nice to not see as much rain.

I agree. Those places usually tend to open first. I love when we get like a foot. I can practice rails in my backyard for a few days. It's great.

It's been a long time since there has been a winter event for the area that has been all snow... Many storms end up being snow on the front and rain on the back... A couple one foot dumps would be sweet, and a long time in coming...

I don't think Boulder will have another epic November 9 open this year, but I think they will have something by the 20th... Im going to be an optimist this year and hope everyone in the NE is open by T-Day, and everybody in PA without a set opening date is open by the first weekend in December...

I'm hoping for a couple good rain falls as the snow is amazing after it rains and then when it freezes up über fast!!!! Plus rain means less crowds

haha yea I like to go when it rains. It doesen't matter, if you have a jacket and non vented helmet, it doesen't affect you.

Stupid people.

My favorite is when there's a 70% chance of rain and it's sunny...just me, Atomic Jeff, Root, AngryHugo, NastarGlenn an Concussion Ted whooting and hollering soaking up the sun...high fives all around and cold beer in the parking lot..

lol u go on weekdays or whenever you can? Im still in school but I still go weeeknights and sundays and fridays

These long range forecasts for winter make me laugh, and seriously, do you really think they carry any weight? the farmers almanac? what was their prediction from last year? i dont recall anyone making predictions late summer or early fall that said we would have a snow event on halloween, and then not so much for the rest of the year. i dont recall anyone saying that it could be one of the warmest winters on record.

i think i remember something being posted from accuweather that said we were in the "battle zone" for last year. i would have to say we lost that battle.

Big Boulder will open as soon as they can with one little trail that 1,000's flock to just to get on the snow. Blue and Frost will open a week after that.....weather permitting of course.

• Like 1

These long range forecasts for winter make me laugh,

i think i remember something being posted from accuweather that said we were in the "battle zone" for last year. i would have to say we lost that battle.

truth

The Jet stream will once again be the main factor, last year it didn't play nice at all but if it rides in a more normal position that would be fantastic.

It's been a long time since there has been a winter event for the area that has been all snow... Many storms end up being snow on the front and rain on the back... A couple one foot dumps would be sweet, and a long time in coming...

I don't think Boulder will have another epic November 9 open this year, but I think they will have something by the 20th... Im going to be an optimist this year and hope everyone in the NE is open by T-Day, and everybody in PA without a set opening date is open by the first weekend in December...

you're very optimistic with that november 9th opening haha.

It'll be what it'll be. My own theory is that good years alternate. On the other hand, last year apparently was a "good year" here in terms of totals. IMO the snow arrived too late, even if it did arrive. It meant we had weeks of insufficient coverage off groomed. If all the snow suddenly shows up in the second half of the season, even if the total was okay, does it make it a good season? I don't think so.

Yeah anythig could happen. Does anyone know if Bear creek has good terrain parks? i was thinking about getting a season pass there with some of my friends

I would say their parks are decent. Its really hit or miss on the weather and how much snow they can get down. Two years ago their park was on point almost the entire season. Definitely one of the better parks in the mid atlantic that year. Last year was a different story though, the park kind of lacked for obvious reasons, bear was unable to put down as much snow as the previous year so it took a huge running start for the parks to get to mid season form. Although they were not perfect last year bear did as much as possible to keep their parks up to par. So it all comes down to the weather. I've had a pass at bear for the past 4 years or so and i havent had many complaints about the park yet. i'd suggest getting a pass there if youre just going to ride park, plus you cant beat the price on the pasr discount, unless you can get a shop pass.

this will give you a good idea of what bears park was like last year,