West Virginny 2.0

moe ghoul

After my first solo trip to Snowshoe in 2010, I knew that I'd get back there someday if the snow was deep and there wasn't anything north of us. So, 2 years later Sandy punishes the EC but every disaster has its silver linings. Besides pulling folks together to get thru hard moments and tragedy, it can also deliver the goods and pull folks together to make an epic trip to slay some styro soft powish snow in the 2-4 foot range bottomless. I left Philly around 6AM Wed, met up with a friend in Harrisburg, left his car at Walmart and drove down to Canaan Valley area in WV. Roads were in decent shape, the biggest problem was falling timber and branch snow hitting the car. We pulled into the Timberline parking lot around 2ish, and skinned a coupla laps to ski down Drop.

We stayed at the CV resort hotel. Advanced reports from guys we met up with alerted us to the cheap rate due to the power outage. $20/nite for a room including 3 hot meals a day. We all had camping gear, so just having a bed, toilet, running water and a roof over our heads beat car camping by a mile. More people we knew arrived Wednesday nite and Thursday morning, so we all headed over to Whitegrass. Think MRG vibe but 10 times more rustic and hippie, in other words, great stoke for hanging out and meeting new folks. Moonshine, some hot chow and a wood stove kept the party going. Groups of us went out in different directions based on touring speed. I stuck closer to the front of the mountain and the trees along the trail, others ventured deeper and traversed over to Bald Knob area.

Friday morning we headed over to Canaan Vally Ski area since we knew noones had hit it yet and we thought we might try to check out all 3 areas. Matt and I did 3 laps down and around the main lift with great snow and a few breaks in the sky with sun. We hit the road by 2PM for the Harrisburg drop and I pulled into my driveway by about 8:30PM

I could take up a lot of space here going off on tangents but I have a shit ton to do around here. My pictures are all iphony stuff of weak quality. Matt had a nice camera and Contour for video. I asked him to send them my way once he gets to it. I'll try and post some of that stuff up when I get it.

3 days makes me current leader on the Top 10 stat board. :pimp:

post-2366-0-59553100-1351974238_thumb.jpg

post-2366-0-44218200-1351974256_thumb.jpg

post-2366-0-81921500-1351974275_thumb.jpg

post-2366-0-15716600-1351974309_thumb.jpg

post-2366-0-84101900-1351974334_thumb.jpg

Edited by moe ghoul
  • Like 2

Awesome....what did you replace the old Moetel with?

honda_pilot_touring_4wd_2012

The image shows up when I used image function, then it disappears when I post it, then it reappears when I hit edit. 2012 Honda Pilot. Same Moetel with a few extra bells n whistles like Bluetooth and XM

• Like 1

Electric Outlet?

Love it dude, living the dream...well the dream has a helicopter but that's not really relevant.

Right place right time, nothing holding me back = go time. Yeah, I'm glad I had the chance to check out that area, would head back in a heartbeat if they get dumped on again.

Electric Outlet?

That would be helpful, lulz. Some of the new features are : Seat heaters, extra charging outlets, the whole USB/Bluetooth/Handsfree thing, sunroof, built in trailer hitch assembly. Prolly a few other things, but those were the features I missed in the old Pilot.

Edited by moe ghoul

That would be helpful, lulz. Some of the new features are : Seat heaters, extra charging outlets, the whole USB/Bluetooth/Handsfree thing, sunroof, built in trailer hitch assembly. Prolly a few other things, but those were the features I missed in the old Pilot.

I didn't realize my new car had one until a year or so after I had it... It's hidden under the arm extension on the center console... Since it only has one "cig" outlet, it was useful for charging a phone and GPS at the same time... Now I just have a GPS app... Now that I have heated seats, they are something I would hate to be without...

I didn't realize my new car had one until a year or so after I had it... It's hidden under the arm extension on the center console... Since it only has one "cig" outlet, it was useful for charging a phone and GPS at the same time... Now I just have a GPS app... Now that I have heated seats, they are something I would hate to be without...

I like heated seats for long distance driving, I can keep the car cool, but still stay comfortable. Here's a shot from our last day, 2nd to last skin lap off the top of the liftline. there was a nice little steep that we played on before packing up and heading home. There's some new or unfamiliar stuff going on with this site when I try to post pictures that makes my brain hurt, so I'm hoping this posts up.

post-2366-0-13976700-1352557019_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

awesome shot Moe! 100% jealous right now.

I'm hoping to get some better quality pix this season, before I start looking like my dad on skis. I have very little in terms of quality pix like this one. Most of it is lame top o the mountain views, lift self portraits, and nature shots. With an iphone.

I'm hoping to get some better quality pix this season, before I start looking like my dad on skis. I have very little in terms of quality pix like this one. Most of it is lame top o the mountain views, lift self portraits, and nature shots. With an iphone.

The picture quality and quality of the shot are both excellent. Looks like mid winter... Must have been an awesome experience, even if it was a hell of a drive. I used to being a separate camera, but now that the iPhone 4 rocks a 5 mp, and the 4s and 5 rock and 8 mp, it's becoming less and less necessary... It's also quicker to post and more user friendly... Pic came through perfect!!!