Elk mountain - February first 2013

RidgeRacer

Decent conditions. Recovering nicely from the warm up and rain. Sun peeking in and out with flurries. Tunk is completely groomed out which is something I've never seen. More to come...

I saw it once early season... My mind was completely blown... Glad your out there having fun :-)

Kickapoo is a great trail. Tunk groomed reminds me of main street at bleu
They making snow on an open Susqy?

Kickapoo is a great trail.
Is that the one with all the turns in it? I wish they would make some banked turns there... I like it either way, but that would be a little more awesome...

What many people don't know is that Elk mt (the actual mountain) has 2 "peaks". There is the south knob from the Delaware trail. There is your geography lesson for today.

That is an awesome little bit of info that I did not know. If you look at the topographic map, as a whole the mountain looks amazingly skiable.

I'll throw in a quick geology lesson on top of that. Generally speaking, when mountains have two peaks like that in Pennsylvania, it's caused by pockets of highly weather resistant sandstone at each of the peaks, and in between them was at one time a level surface comprised of weaker layers of rocks, possibly lesser sandstones, and most likely a number of shale layers which washed away over a period of time.

• Like 2

Can you see Russia from there?

LOL no but speaking of Russia, it looked more like Siberia after I left the endless mountains region. Around Wilkes barre it started to dump and it didn't stop through the Poconos.

Anyway as much as I like to make fun of elk and their slogan, its hard not to like the mountain. The Fall line trails are the best this side of the state. I "woo hoo" more there than anywhere south of there. Easily one my favorite areas.

Iroquois

2013-02-01_14-33-00_937_zps022cf60b.jpg

2013-02-01_15-09-50_217_zpsf8b046e5.jpg

Edited by Ridge Racer

That's just weird. Usually Volkswagen size ice bumps.

For the last several years, when there is a major melt down or rain storm etc, as happened this week, Elk will groom Tunk to avoid the VW sized icy moguls. This is not unusual for Elk, they will do it several times a year as necessary, then blow fresh snow almost every night to let the skiers build up the moguls again.

For the last several years, when there is a major melt down or rain storm etc, as happened this week, Elk will groom Tunk to avoid the VW sized icy moguls. This is not unusual for Elk, they will do it several times a year as necessary, then blow fresh snow almost every night to let the skiers build up the moguls again.

I like it - It was fun blasting down it. I'm lucky I didn't lose my pass!

Here's another geography lesson,,,At 2,700 feet, the North Knob of Elk Mountain stands as the highest peak east of the Alleghenies.

I just heard the Elk commercial on the radio!!! PARidge you've definitely been hitting alot of ski areas this season. When are you gonna ski Blue?

I'm sure I'll hit it at some point. I'll let you know. - 3 weeks till Utah.