The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

Most high end boot liners (double check beforehand) can actually be placed in the oven at a low temp and molded yourself. I use the heat of my foot and 100 plus days on the snow to do that myself.

convection oven. you don't want to use a regular oven for that or they won't heat evenly. also, you probably shouldn't do this, as it can cause more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing.

Edited by Justo8484

convection oven. you don't want to use a regular oven for that or they won't heat evenly. also, you probably shouldn't do this, as it can cause more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing.

Precisely why I don't do it. At the mountain they hooked us up with boot fitting etc, so that was nice even if I didn't take advantage of it. Hopefully that's pretty standard in case I need some work done in the future.

Those elements are super thin to begin with. I had A-lines before anyway...going back to a fully custom foot bed.

this enough you can definitely feel them though. glad you're going back to real custom footbeds though. a-lines work great for a lot of people, but with all your goofy foot problems, i don't think you're one of those people. it's also much easier to flush mount heaters in custom footbeds too.

this enough you can definitely feel them though. glad you're going back to real custom footbeds though. a-lines work great for a lot of people, but with all your goofy foot problems, i don't think you're one of those people. it's also much easier to flush mount heaters in custom footbeds too.

Going to the a-lines solved a lot of problems after ditching the nestors footbeds in my RS130s. The custom footbeds worked great in my old crazy blue Langes. It's painful, but I'm slowly getting my ankle to flex more.

Stoke alert... During wheel of fortune tonight one of the prizes was a trip to Greek Peak and Hope Lake Lodge. Eastern ski Stoke!

The new owners got the place for a steal, so I know they are trying really hard to shape it up. That's great PR. Haven't been there in 12 years and I know it has changed a lot.

The new owners got the place for a steal, so I know they are trying really hard to shape it up. That's great PR. Haven't been there in 12 years and I know it has changed a lot.

Nothing has really changed there in 30+ years up to now. They are getting a new fixed grip quad with a conveyor loader. Great place when they get some natural snow. The snowmaking system still needs an upgrade. I hope the new owners continue with skiing improvements. The old owner sunk all of the money into condos and the water park.

Nothing has really changed there in 30+ years up to now. They are getting a new fixed grip quad with a conveyor loader. Great place when they get some natural snow. The snowmaking system still needs an upgrade. I hope the new owners continue with skiing improvements. The old owner sunk all of the money into condos and the water park.

Does it have a solid condo base, or is the hotel basically it? I can't remember. IIRC, the hotel dragged them pretty far into debt, but they seemed to be making the payments. Unfortunately, the bank was a victim of the loan crises and they couldn't find a new loan when the bank called it. I believe the new owners got it for a small fraction of what it was worth. They should be able to make a good run at it.

I was at GP this summer for a wedding. The hotel/lodge was pretty nice and good service. I didn't get a chance to check out the water park but the mountain looked fairly tame. Guess there is parts that are decent but if I was driving to NY already i'd keep going the extra bit to get to the other mountains from first impresions.

I was at GP this summer for a wedding. The hotel/lodge was pretty nice and good service. I didn't get a chance to check out the water park but the mountain looked fairly tame. Guess there is parts that are decent but if I was driving to NY already i'd keep going the extra bit to get to the other mountains from first impresions.

When I was there, I was still relatively fresh, and I had no problem with any of the terrain. It's pretty mellow and is only 900' tall. I think it's a combination of amenities and decent natural that make it relevant. Others on here know the terrain better than I.

terrain is decent, some nice woods and a few steep pitches - non of which can really be seen or sensed form the hotel. the key is the lake effect snow when the machine is pumping, not uncommon to get at least a few inches of fresh every night. much closer than any of the other ny mountains and you can still actually ski there on a weekend day!

Winter10-11027.jpg

IMG00027-20110219-1247.jpg

IMG00188-20100102-0957.jpg

• Like 4

Does it have a solid condo base, or is the hotel basically it? I can't remember. IIRC, the hotel dragged them pretty far into debt, but they seemed to be making the payments. Unfortunately, the bank was a victim of the loan crises and they couldn't find a new loan when the bank called it. I believe the new owners got it for a small fraction of what it was worth. They should be able to make a good run at it.

The hotel and condos are across the street from the ski area. I think they run a shuttle bus if you stay there. The mountain is only 900' vertical but it is spread out. About the only improvement in 30 years up to now has been the glades. Zeus, Hercules, and Olympian are pretty steep. The East side is pretty flat but has some nice glades. Like mbike-ski said, when they get the lake effect the snow is great. If you have the WNEP card it's worth the drive to check it out.

Gore is a much longer drive but a very big mountain. The 2D trailmap doesn't do it justice. It's a 3D mountain. Worth the trip with the "free" ticket on the WNEP card. I was there last weekend at the Harvest Festival.