Next weekend opinions - 12/14

tnt

Family trip - Wife and I, one daughter and her friend.

Blue or Jack Frost - I realize the bias on this board is for Blue, and really, it's probably our #1 pocono mountain as well, but I've been wanting to try JF for a while. Haven't skied there since I was in high school. It looks like they let the place bump up nicely, and allow tree skiing, such as it is. Which I think would add some nice variety to our day trips. Also hear it doesn't get as crowded on weekends.

So was thinking of giving it a whirl Saturday, realizing there will be no bumps yet.

My main concern with it is, the 600 vert feet just sounds painfully short.

If Blue gets the valley open by Saturday, which seems possible, that might change things though. but that also might bring out a crushing crowd too….

Thoughts?

Never to early in the week to start obsessing about the weekend!

Blue will have 1000'+ of vert open this weekend. JF is fun, but its only fun when it is 100% open and there is a good base of snow in the trees - both of which are not happening right now. Of course I'm biased towards Blue, but at this point, it seems like it will be the best option in the "Poconos" this weekend. And I don't think crowds will be a problem still this early in the season.

Yeah, boy, it's hard to get away from the vert. foot issue. When you think about paradise - nice long trail for the kids - seems like the way to go….

Gonna keep an eye on Camelback too.

There is one other issue - my youngest uses her PA Ski Pass, so if we hit blue again this weekend, she'll only have one more blue ticket for the whole season. Might be a shame to squander it on another not fully open day.

Yeah, boy, it's hard to get away from the vert. foot issue. When you think about paradise - nice long trail for the kids - seems like the way to go….

Gonna keep an eye on Camelback too.

There is one other issue - my youngest uses her PA Ski Pass, so if we hit blue again this weekend, she'll only have one more blue ticket for the whole season. Might be a shame to squander it on another not fully open day.

Camelback

-800 ft vert

-less lift capacity

-no parking lot to lift access

-probably better snow

I can't wait for my first six pack beer this weekend.

Blue will have 1000'+ of vert open this weekend. JF is fun, but its only fun when it is 100% open and there is a good base of snow in the trees - both of which are not happening right now. Of course I'm biased towards Blue, but at this point, it seems like it will be the best option in the "Poconos" this weekend. And I don't think crowds will be a problem still this early in the season.

This is absolutely the truth. JF is never really that crowded, and its redeeming feature for lack of vert is the trees. (which are pretty far from being skiable) They are pretty limited on slopes right now, but i guess Tuesday they can really crank things up again. Blue has the most open, i believe.

camelback knocks JF out of the running. go to Blue or CB. they are hands down PA's best mtns

Those have been our two mountains in PA for that last four or five years, with an occasional trip to Shawnee. When the kids were very little we went to bear creek a lot.

what? CB lifts spread the crowds out better than blue and the lift is like a 5 second walk from the parking lot

Negative.

The Sullivan Quad and Sunbowl double is way less capacity than Blue's 6-pack, 2 Main St double's and the Vista lift. There's nothing open to spread any crowds out to.

Camelback's parking lot is downhill from the lifts, which means climbing several flights of stairs, up through the lodge area to the Quad. Blue is a shorter and easier walk on level terrain.

Negative.

The Sullivan Quad and Sunbowl double is way less capacity than Blue's 6-pack, 2 Main St double's and the Vista lift. There's nothing open to spread any crowds out to.

Camelback's parking lot is downhill from the lifts, which means climbing several flights of stairs, up through the lodge area to the Quad. Blue is a shorter and easier walk on level terrain.

Is the lower lodge at CB not open yet?

I usually park there once the place is all open. Easier walk to lodge, less crowded lodge and not so uptight about packing food in….

Is the lower lodge at CB not open yet?

I usually park there once the place is all open. Easier walk to lodge, less crowded lodge and not so uptight about packing food in….

Beats me.

All open is a different, but they are not all open this weekend. Nonetheless, the walk from Blue's lot to the 6er is the shortest walk/up hill capacity.

This. I'm not a blue fanboy by any means but frost is so much better enjoyed when it's 100% open especially if it's only a day trip.

Wow Bear creek looks to have like 3" new. Based on the tables at blue less than an inch and pretty good visibility so not coming down as hard.

My Ski Report Ap is showing Blue with 3" already! I think some one there is exaggerating….

Whatever they get is better than nothing. And with cold temps the rest of the week, maybe we'll get more new trails than we thought by the weekend.

~4" at Blue when I left at 11:45. Great conditions out there this morning. I wish more was open because when I got there at 10, there were still pockets of untouched snow on the trails. Low crowds and more trails would have made today pretty great.

Nice - good for you man.