Weekend Report 1/31 to 2/2

Schif

So I've been up to Montage a few times in the past few days, and in 3 days things changed so drastically I couldn't believe it. Thursday night I went up for a few runs after work. I rolled in around 6pm and parked right next to the Phoebe lift and went right to it on Cannonball. Conditions were very unlike Montage that night, squeaky snow, and lots of cookies. Grooming was inconsistent and it looked like it had been rushed in some places, and neglected for a day or two in others. The weather was brutal as well. 7 degrees when I got out of the car and 5 when I got back into it. I had every inch of skin covered up, but it was still biting out there. Top of the mountain was totally off limits, i tried one run top to bottom and was thrilled when I finally got back down to the valley. All in all I got in 6 runs and got the hell out of there in a little less than an hour. I guess a lot of people felt the way I did because all night there might have been a few dozen people out there total.

This morning, the heavens were shining down. I had to go into work, so I had written today off as a total loss, but I ended up getting to go home around 9. So after doing the recycling, and taking care of some other household stuff, I grabbed my gear, put on one light layer and headed out the door. I got on the snow just before 11, and was really surprised with the conditions. Well groomed snow everywhere, with fresh dustings of man made stuff on all the bumps. Snow was not tracked out anywhere when I got there and the crowds, while pretty heavy for Montage, were very manageable. Long haul was running, and while it seemed like 5/6ths of the chairs were filled, there was no wait to get on, so I lapped that a few times. The woods, thanks to a lot of dense man made blowover, are actually pretty skiable, though not very deep. I cruised around the upper mountain, the lower mountain, and the three double diamonds a hand full of times each under sunny skies and moderate crowds. Fantastic day out there. I left around 3 when lift lines were at their peak, and I was waiting upwards of 3 minutes for a chair. Unacceptable in my book, so I went home and made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup.

On one of my top to bottom runs on the last headwall of lower fast track, there were a few safety team guys ushering everyone over to the far right side of the trail, and about 20 people standing with their skis off below them. I saw a few pairs of skis stuck in the snow crossed, but I didn't see any ski patrol anywhere so I was very confused. It all hit me when I hopped on long haul and got an aerial view though. There were at least 6 ski patrolers huddled around a sled in the middle of the woods between fast track and runaway. From what I heard from someone on the lift later, someone had been flying down the trail and either lost control or was never in control, and went flying into the trees. The scene was pretty deep in there and there are a lot of rocks and a snowmaking pipe right at the edge of the trail, so that must have been a pretty spectacular crash to wind up 100 feet deep in the woods. I guess whoever it is was pretty banged up, but not dead thanks to his helmet. Just more motivation to keep my brain bucket on. Interestingly enough, I've seen ski patrol in that general area a few times already this year, but nothing as severe as this one. I guess people can't handle that pitch and the turn.

I'll be back at it tomorrow morning, hopefully a little earlier and I'll add a little more to the Montage report.

• Like 5

Grilled cheese sounds good. I just had one with bacon and tomato. Nice reporting!!!! 5 degrees is so brutal for PA..out west 5 degrees is comfortable

Depends on where you are out west. For lots of resorts, that's also cold.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Keep getting at it.

This week should be interesting.

Tomorrow. Real temp -2, wind chill -25

Tuesday. (Not scheduled to ski, have to go to Kalispell) Real temp -7, wind chill -35

Wednesday. Real temp -6

Thursday. -3

Friday, whoa, heat wave at +4.

Love this stuff.

Yeah, about 7-8 inches on the ground in the valley. Darn work and responsibilities. I wish I was up at Montage today, hopefully they got the Phoebe lift running. It was still down when I left at 5pm last night. You would have a lot of unhappy people if Boomer and White Lightning were not lift accessible.

Yeah, about 7-8 inches on the ground in the valley. Darn work and responsibilities. I wish I was up at Montage today, hopefully they got the Phoebe lift running. It was still down when I left at 5pm last night. You would have a lot of unhappy people if Boomer and White Lightning were not lift accessible.

ski down and hike over to Long Haul. Untracked runs down that would be worth it.

Elk was only reporting 4", but CB was reporting 9". Looks like the changeover line is a little north of Easton right now.

Friends staying 1mile from Elk reported 9" and still snowing at 8:00 this morning.

I'm missing it..broke my shoulder at Whistler two weeks ago.

Aaarrrggghhh.

Friends staying 1mile from Elk reported 9" and still snowing at 8:00 this morning.

I'm missing it..broke my shoulder at Whistler two weeks ago.

Aaarrrggghhh.

10 inches in my driveway when I shoveled at 7 this morning. I just walked in the door so it looks like I missed the good stuff today. Hopefully the good stuff wasn't found today and will be available for me tonight or tomorrow.