okemo

zzslope

okemo gets a bunch of hate, but you gotta appreciate it for what it is. there's nothing there super gnar difficult, all their steepest trails are groomed. if you like maching down groomers and carving turns, you'll have plenty of fun, as there is a lot of undulation and weird off camber rollovers to keep things interesting in the groomer department. the trees on south face are pretty fun, and will get sun and warm up a little sooner than the rest of the mountain. on a pow day, hit that stuff early. jackson gore has some fun trees too. most importantly, hit up tom's loft apres ski. their nachos are massive, and it's a pretty rad little bar where the longtrail folks tend to frequent with swag. 

• Like 2

Been there many times with family and friends when kids were young,  Great Vermont family/starter mountain for the kids, but as stated will get a bit boring quick if only adults skiing.

Take the Sunburst Six first thing to the south face and lap that area until the late risers make their way there and the lift gets too crowded.

There's nothing very steep out there, but you'll get a lot of runs in quick.

If you're lucky, there won't be any races or practice and you can make some high-speed runs down World Cup and/or Chief.

Typically the Sunburst lift was massive crowded and probably still will be, but it's being upgraded with heated bubbles, guess for the wussies that can't stand the cold.

Yes, mid-day, hit the Waffle Shack for the sugar rush.

Jackson Gore has some of the more interesting runs, for Okemo that is...

White Lightning and Rolling Thunder they typically don't groom, so they can be fun.

Don't miss going down Black Hole either.

Towards the end of the day, since we stayed in Solitude, I'd end up just lapping the Solitude lift as it was empty at the end of the day.

Ludlow is a nice little Vermont town with all sorts of shops and dining places.

Killarney's is interesting and so it Pot Belly's.   We've had some not so good experiences with Tacos Tacos, but YMMV.

The nice thing about Okemo is that you're a stones-throw away from Killington, so if you get bored with Okemo just ride up and pick up the Skyship Gondola if you don't want to head all the way up to the resort.

There's also snowmobiling on the way up to Killington, if you get the desire.   The one we went on took you up a closed-down ski slope, nothing real great, just another fun thing to do with kids.

Definitely not the steepest, technical, etc., but it's skiing and that beats working!

• Like 1

there are some decent trees at Okemo.  enough that when you mix in it with the groomers  it will keep you occupied.  When i was there last year, i think they hadnt had snow for a while and got like some rain or sleet, which made for a crusty top.  the less traveled trees where pretty tough to navigate. off the southface i would  revisit loose spruce, and check out forest bump.  Everglade, tree dancer and the shadows will have more traffic through them and the first two are nice, but like the entire mountain, fairly mellow.  looking at the trail map i dont remember even checking out supernova at jackson gore.  

like everyone has stated previously, family, groomers, waffles, no gss......

• Like 1

Okemo is getting way more love than deserved from PASRs

I wouldn't call it love, it's just an honest account of the place by skiers trying to present an unbiased opinion. Some people just like to ski. Remember, not everybody sells enough tombstones to only ski Blue, Stowe, and JH.
  • Like 1