Where's the snow?

Sara43

Largest/longes topic since October 2011 in the Sno-tage forum or on all of PASR?

Since Sno-Tage.  I love that by the way.. 

I was just thinking, perhaps they have poor intentions for their customers, but maybe they're sprucing the place up to be able to sell to a major resort corporation, it doesn't seem likely they'd fix the lodge up for anything other than a better resort in the future. 

I think you are looking into this more than necessary. That cold spell two weeks ago was awfully early and how were they to know December would start out warm. Sno-tage is in a tough location being farther than the other pocono areas from Philly and the Lehigh valley. They do have the city of Scranton right there but from what I remember Scranton is pretty poor.

I could watch that video Johnny law posted all day.

And Sara now I have the hall and Oates song Sara smile stuck in my head. Thanks.

I just wish I had friends/sources from the snow makers, I'd probably have more accurate information if I could get it first hand. The rumors I hear are from other departments and friends of friends of disgruntled former employees.  Perhaps I should sneak in next time they make snow and bribe an employee to spill all the beans on recent events. 

Welp, I'm done for the day, This god damn website is a great way to waste time. 

I'll be back to bitch and moan next time they don't make snow or something. Or if have PMS and you cock suckers turn this thread into something way off topic. 

I think you are looking into this more than necessary. That cold spell two weeks ago was awfully early and how were they to know December would start out warm.

How do you know I'm not actually trying to publicly shame the resort instead of playing along with this dialogue 

If they look at past history, we always seem to get a warm snap in December.  

• Like 1

You guys keep getting off track like a kid with ADHD..

So I'm guessing you didn't know that snowmaking is actually possible to blow marginal at 37.4 degrees if the relative humidity is less than 20% and Ideal heavy snowmaking can be made at 28.4 degrees with ideal humidity.  Even at 32 degrees it's possible to make snow if the humidity drops below 60%

Blah Blah blah....you have no idea what your talking about ...we might bottom out at about 40% RH

You can check our avg's here - https://weatherspark.com/averages/31282/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-United-States

Here's the deal toots, they are fucking broke because they don't make any money, they have very high debt service levels because they don't make any money. Blowing snow is a dicey proposition that depends on 100 different variables outside of weather. If your window is 6 hours but your pumps in that time can only push say 5000gpm you could maybe get half a trail done if then the next week is above freezing you would be better off taking that money and shoving it up your ass. Which, funny enough, is also where your opinion should go.

If you want Sno to be there next year they have to be highly profitable to service their debt load. That means they spend as little money as possible while maximizing visitors and then money they spend. You don't do that by blowing snow in shit conditions, with shitty future weather for 10 fucking people who are all going to be passholders who don't spend money on the shit they actually make money on like booze and food. We aren't their customers, we are bankers lending them money at o% interest rates in an arrangement called a season pass, their customers are Bob and Suzy Chapstick who have 4 kids and show up once in Feb and once in January after it snows. They rent gear and spend 150$ on food. They aren't trying to fuck you over they are trying to make money because it's a business, the sooner you figure this out the less you'll sound like your 12 years old.

Also 

• Like 6

Blah Blah blah....you have no idea what your talking about ...we might bottom out at about 40% RH

You can check our avg's here - https://weatherspark.com/averages/31282/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-United-States

Here's the deal toots, they are fucking broke because they don't make any money, they have very high debt service levels because they don't make any money. Blowing snow is a dicey proposition that depends on 100 different variables outside of weather. If your window is 6 hours but your pumps in that time can only push say 5000gpm you could maybe get half a trail done if then the next week is above freezing you would be better off taking that money and shoving it up your ass. Which, funny enough, is also where your opinion should go.

If you want Sno to be there next year they have to be highly profitable to service their debt load. That means they spend as little money as possible while maximizing visitors and then money they spend. You don't do that by blowing snow in shit conditions, with shitty future weather for 10 fucking people who are all going to be passholders who don't spend money on the shit they actually make money on like booze and food. We aren't their customers, we are bankers lending them money at o% interest rates in an arrangement called a season pass, their customers are Bob and Suzy Chapstick who have 4 kids and show up once in Feb and once in January after it snows. They rent gear and spend 150$ on food. They aren't trying to fuck you over they are trying to make money because it's a business, the sooner you figure this out the less you'll sound like your 12 years old.

Also

[emoji7]

• Like 1

I just wish I had friends/sources from the snow makers, I'd probably have more accurate information if I could get it first hand. The rumors I hear are from other departments and friends of friends of disgruntled former employees. Perhaps I should sneak in next time they make snow and bribe an employee to spill all the beans on recent events.

Welp, I'm done for the day, This god damn website is a great way to waste time.

I'll be back to bitch and moan next time they don't make snow or something. Or if have PMS and you cock suckers turn this thread into something way off topic.

How do you know I'm not actually trying to publicly shame the resort instead of playing along with this dialogue

If they look at past history, we always seem to get a warm snap in December.

Why come here and insult? Listen ET... This is PASR and getting off topic is what we do. Also my virgin ears (eyes) cannot tolerate all of these insults and talk of magic fingers so play nice.

• Like 1

I'm backkkkkk. I swore I'd never post on this site again.. BUT, this is out of hand.

Sara.. Who've you been talking to? If they're former employees, why should it matter?

It's likely they're jist angry and exaggerated things? Sources, Friends of Friends???

Come on now.

I can not, will not speak on behalf of this company, but you wanted perspective from a snow maker, you're looking at one.

I would be more than happy to educate you in snowmaking in a private conversation to help you relax. I've been watching this thread since it started.

• Like 6

I'm backkkkkk. I swore I'd never post on this site again.. BUT, this is out of hand.

Sara.. Who've you been talking to? If they're former employees, why should it matter?

It's likely they're jist angry and exaggerated things? Sources, Friends of Friends???

Come on now.

I can not, will not speak on behalf of this company, but you wanted perspective from a snow maker, you're looking at one.

I would be more than happy to educate you in snowmaking in a private conversation to help you relax. I've been watching this thread since it started.

Do you know of anyone who actually uses the automated systems ?

I know of at least 10 mtns with supposedly fully auto systems and everyone of them still has guys walking.....

Come on now.

Who the hell are you.. You think you know more than the people I know? You're probably just some dip shit who doesn't know what's going on.  

Thanks Santa clauss. Anyone who knows me well knows I've had my fair share of battles with ski area management and various other industry folk over the years, but you learn from that. Snowmaking is way more complicated than saying, "hey it's below 32°, let's make some snow!" Heck, toast and I made a backyard snow gun back in the day and learned about it the hard way by almost blowing up a compressor. Montage's check book wasn't stacked with cash from last season quite like some of the other players who opened early and they've got a lot of factors working against them. While it sucks for pass holders, I totally get why they wouldn't have gambled on a freak mid November cold snap. If their snowmaking capacity isn't up to snuff in the sense that they could have laid down enough to open, it might have been the right call. If they did blow but not open, and they hit this warm streak, they might have lost everything and had to start over, costing lots of money. I'm hoping as much as anyone it gets again soon, and I'd love to get up to montage again this year and check it out.

• Like 5

Who the hell are you.. You think you know more than the people I know? You're probably just some dip shit who doesn't know what's going on.

not trying to instigate anything, but he's said he's a snowmaker, and you won't divulge your sources. I'm more inclined to believe the person who says they work for the mountain. Getting defensive and aggressive about it doesn't help your cause much either.

Do you know of anyone who actually uses the automated systems ?

I know of at least 10 mtns with supposedly fully auto systems and everyone of them still has guys walking.....

Johnny Law, I personally don't know of any local resorts that are automated. I feel like conditions change too quickly and we don't have a long enough season to justify one. We get by just fine. I do my best to train new snow makers what to look for. There's really no substitute for experience. If we have heavy wind, or mobiles are parked in a narrow crossover, guns have a tendency to blow back and "waffle up" which pretty much chokes the fans of air, resulting in less air time and making a big mess regardless of the temps and the blockage progressively gets worse the shorter the throw. I don't believe an automotive system could do anything but throw an alarm resulting in staff having to break the ice off manually anyway. We walk when starting up and shutting down (great except side, my pedometer read 19 miles from the other night, when we have safe groomed trails we use an arsinal of snowmobiles to move hose around and to move guys around faster when things get very cold, we also have our own cat to pull mobile guns around.

Thanks Santa clauss. Anyone who knows me well knows I've had my fair share of battles with ski area management and various other industry folk over the years, but you learn from that. Snowmaking is way more complicated than saying, "hey it's below 32°, let's make some snow!" Heck, toast and I made a backyard snow gun back in the day and learned about it the hard way by almost blowing up a compressor. Montage's check book wasn't stacked with cash from last season quite like some of the other players who opened early and they've got a lot of factors working against them. While it sucks for pass holders, I totally get why they wouldn't have gambled on a freak mid November cold snap. If their snowmaking capacity isn't up to snuff in the sense that they could have laid down enough to open, it might have been the right call. If they did blow but not open, and they hit this warm streak, they might have lost everything and had to start over, costing lots of money. I'm hoping as much as anyone it gets again soon, and I'd love to get up to montage again this year and check it out.

328601ebd4832a8a3eb5d1ca70352d43.jpg

• Like 3

100% dead serious, I gave you some shit but you have to stick around...I too love to poke bees nests

Johnny Law, I personally don't know of any local resorts that are automated. I feel like conditions change too quickly and we don't have a long enough season to justify one. We get by just fine. I do my best to train new snow makers what to look for. There's really no substitute for experience. If we have heavy wind, or mobiles are parked in a narrow crossover, guns have a tendency to blow back and "waffle up" which pretty much chokes the fans of air, resulting in less air time and making a big mess regardless of the temps and the blockage progressively gets worse the shorter the throw. I don't believe an automotive system could do anything but throw an alarm resulting in staff having to break the ice off manually anyway. We walk when starting up and shutting down (great except side, my pedometer read 19 miles from the other night, when we have safe groomed trails we use an arsinal of snowmobiles to move hose around and to move guys around faster when things get very cold, we also have our own cat to pull mobile guns around.

Thanks man

Spring has the ability apparently, some VR too but they all send humans it's just weird that they sell them if nobody uses it.

JL, I'd assume Very large resorts up north, out west, and many resorts in Europe would use them.

Well I'm going to the gym, leave more questions about snowmaking if you'd like.

Please don't ask, I'm not going to comment on anything Sara's accusing the mountain of.  I will just say, I'm not a successful business owner, I say that, because I own a photography company and I can't get it off the ground.  So I have no right to assess any actions or choices management has made.  I'm sure they're looking at the big picture and anything Sara was complaining about could be justified due to the 'Big picture'

Frustration, I'm very impulsive and I said a lot of things that I would never have said in real life and I got frustrated easily. That's why I left.