Big Sky 2015

guitar73

I'm going there in like three weeks.....it's a wonderful place.......first time going there?

cool. yes, this will be our first time going. too bad it's a low snow year for them and the weather forecasts for next week look less than ideal. oh well, can't win them all i suppose, lol.

Challenger lift is running, but we haven't gotten to it yet...but we may hit that up tomorrow.

so far, der impressed with this place even though it's a low snow year. best stuff we found the bowl under the lone peak triple. lots of soft bumps and good steep chutes in there. we also got two tram runs in. yesterday, we did liberty bowl, which was just fabulous.....not as steep as I expected. today we did marx, which is def a bit steeper than liberty, but there were loads of snow bumps in there to help out.

lots a rocks and dirt showing thru, but this place is so expansive that it doesn't really matter.

just finishing up lunch now, may head over to moonlight basin and cruise the rest of the day.

Challenger lift is running, but we haven't gotten to it yet...but we may hit that up tomorrow.

so far, der impressed with this place even though it's a low snow year. best stuff we found the bowl under the lone peak triple. lots of soft bumps and good steep chutes in there. we also got two tram runs in. yesterday, we did liberty bowl, which was just fabulous.....not as steep as I expected. today we did marx, which is def a bit steeper than liberty, but there were loads of snow bumps in there to help out.

lots a rocks and dirt showing thru, but this place is so expansive that it doesn't really matter.

just finishing up lunch now, may head over to moonlight basin and cruise the rest of the day.

Nice !

Place is mad boney, my recollection is its igneous rock which is why that joint is so sharky.

MT if I remember right is all magma related, Lone Peak I know is a Gabbroic Xenolith composed almost entirely of pyroxene.

Gallatin in general was intruded by a series of plutons about 60mil years ago when the Fallaron plate subducted under the western NA plate.

Moonlight might be your best bet since it's more north facing...A ride up Challenger and down the Headwaters might be in order..I always thought Moonlight had some good tree skiing...The Madison base area is a cool place for lunch or a brew....as is the Moonlight main lodge....Do you know if the North Summit snow field is open?

Nice !

Place is mad boney, my recollection is its igneous rock which is why that joint is so sharky.

MT if I remember right is all magma related, Lone Peak I know is a Gabbroic Xenolith composed almost entirely of pyroxene.

Gallatin in general was intruded by a series of plutons about 60mil years ago when the Fallaron plate subducted under the western NA plate.

Professor JLaw throwing down the knowledge. I think my IQ raises a point for every JLaw post. Unfortunately my IQ lowers a point for every GSS post. Being as GSS posts on average 20 times as much as JLaw does, I should be a lab rat by seasons end.

• Like 6

We've been starting each day on a south facing aspect and then following the sun around the mtn. that strategy has served us well so far bc its been above freezing during the day and dropping below at nite.

today we are planning to hit up moonlight early. def gonna check out the challenger lift area. should be a good time.

• Like 1