East Coast Road Trips

NMSKI

Magic does a great job of grooming. They have a lot of easy trails off the top of the mountain that are long groomers and they aren't crowded. Your wife would probably love Magic.

Thanks for the info.  The reviews I had read acted like the only good time to go was after a storm and sometimes the easy way down trails are closed do to lack of snowmaking.  We were going to go On "throwback Thursday". Tickets are only $20. 

I think it's some type of BCS style calculation where it has to be 6" or more with 50% of terrain open...[/quote

What does BCS mean??

Bowl Championship for college football. It was some crazy calculation as to how national rankings were calculated.

They've since done away with it.

Looking at a trip in February in Vermont.  Up in the air between Bromley, Magic or Stratton.  Will probably do Bromley and Stratton.  I am concerned about the lack of Grooming at Magic for my wife. 

Killington during Spring Break.

Stratton does do a nice job grooming.

There's nothing wrong with Okemo at all, as long as you don't go in expecting stuff like outer limits or Devils fiddle at Killy, or national at Stowe. Okemo is super fun to just not have to worry about hitting the speed limit on the groomers, and there's some fun trees if you know where to go. Not much of an apres scene, but the loft is a pretty rad spot.

Okemo is the flattest mountain in Vermont. Go west ZZSlope you said you've never been. As warren miller says if you don't go this year you'll be another year older when you do.

Haven't you quoted Bolton as the flattest before?

Okemo is great for what it is, but you'll be bored after 2 days...

Haven't you quoted Bolton as the flattest before?Okemo is great for what it is, but you'll be bored after 2 days...

yeah Bolton is pretty lame and I even thought about it when I wrote about Okemo but fuck if you're gonna drive all the hours and you like gnarly terrain don't go to Okemo. If its thanksgiving weekend and a white ribbon of death it doesn't really matter that much. Okemo is flatter than Stratton and mount snow but families and lower level skiers enjoy it there....and it is better than blue. Nothing as steep as hunter mountain

And and as for east coast road trips aren't all the PASRs gonna rent out Platekill for a day sometime. It's day trip range for all of us and Johnny law said he's got five on it!!!

Yeah but Pocono if you're gonna drive like 7 hours why not go somewhere a little better in Vermont or more challenging. Especially for people who are into bumps and trees. Okemo severely lacks in natural snowfall...

POC compared to what you ski at BB and JF blue is like Vermont but without the drive.

Okemos nickname is Slowkemo.

Not in the next 14 years. After I retire it will probably depend on where my girls end up. I like it here in the summer and fall. I'd prefer to be in the mountains in the winter and Florida in the spring.

I'm only here in Allentown cause this is where I make money but I like Allentown more now than a decade ago. There's not as much stimulation in western ski towns. The majority of college educated young women on the east coast end up initially in big cities like Philly, NYC and Washington DC. The last several years with the economy bad and not so many jobs for recent college grads there has been an influx of hot young girls returning to Allentown after graduation while people my sisters age(33) all got the hell out with some moving back to raise a family.

Yeah but Pocono if you're gonna drive like 7 hours why not go somewhere a little better in Vermont or more challenging. Especially for people who are into bumps and trees. Okemo severely lacks in natural snowfall...

POC compared to what you ski at BB and JF blue is like Vermont but without the drive.

Okemos nickname is Slowkemo.

POC, you have to remember that GSS is like the ski snob of PASR. For the longest time, you were the biggest idiot on the planet if you didn't go to Stowe or Jackson Hole. I mean, nowhere else is suitable for human recreation.

Go where you want in VT. Okemo, Stratton, or Mt. Snow are all a little mellower and would probably be a great stepping stone for your girls skill level. Killington and Sugarbush are a step up in terrain and steepness, while Stowe and Jay offer fairly well rounded offers in terms of terrain, lift infrastructure, and natural snow. None of them are cheap, but they are all worth exploring.

Haters gonna hate.