East Coast Road Trips

NMSKI

POC, you have to remember that GSS is like the ski snob of PASR. For the longest time, you were the biggest idiot on the planet if you didn't go to Stowe or Jackson Hole. I mean, nowhere else is suitable for human recreation.

Go where you want in VT. Okemo, Stratton, or Mt. Snow are all a little mellower and would probably be a great stepping stone for your girls skill level. Killington and Sugarbush are a step up in terrain and steepness, while Stowe and Jay offer fairly well rounded offers in terms of terrain, lift infrastructure, and natural snow. None of them are cheap, but they are all worth exploring.

Haters gonna hate.

Well when I was a teenager I went to Killington thought it was good then went to Okemo and Stratton and not so good and super crowded then in 11th grade I went with my dad to sugarbush and stowe. Sugarbush was awesome I really enjoyed Castlerock and paradise then at Stowe I really enjoyed the top to bottom fast lifts and the tree skiing and decided to go to college at UVM. At UVM I skied mostly Stowe, sugarbush a little especially freshman year when they still had the big pass and also Smuggs, jay peak, Bolton, MRG and Killington for early and late season. I had some really nice trips to Stowe in my 20s with powder but last two trips there were meh conditions and was tired of long drive so haven't been back to Stowe in like 5 years. If blue mountain is a 10 on a scale of 0 to 100 I put Okemo as a 30... Stowe as a 50..Colorado resorts as an 80 and Jackson hole as a 90. I really like skiing jackson hole. RideDE you're affluent and hardly ski out west. It is cool that you get alot of days in at sugarbush although sucks that you are on patrol as in my opinion that's a major waste of on slope time but many like the commeraderie. But fuck if given the choice between a 5-6 hour drive to Okemo or a 7/8 hour drive to Stowe I'd choose stowe. Anyway in the future I plan on skiing much more out west. 9 trips out west in the last five seasons is good but I wanna go more. Eventually I wanna take off winters and live in the Rockies. I feel like I'm selling myself short not heli skiing or skiing in Europe but that will come eventually.

Doug isn't on theirs.

I've heard I look pretty good through beer goggles....

And RideDE you skied stowe one day ever in April you goober. I've skied Okemo prob like 6 times total. Will I return...nope

• Like 2

GSS makes a lot of sense here (can't believe I'm writing that). Why drive 6 or 7 hours for terrain similar to PA (only longer) especially with Killington and Sugarbush right up the road. When I travel I want to see and ski terrain that will make it worth my time (and money). It doesn't have to be extreme but definitely different than what I get here. With regard to the kids, all mountains offer mellow terrain.

Edited by RidgeRacer

Went to Okemo Last year with my 7 year old.  We had a great time.  It is very fairly friendly and the heated bubble lifts are pretty awesome on a cold day.  My son loved it

If you go to Okemo.  The Timber Inn Motel was a nice place for the price.

I would hardly call myself affluent. I might be able to afford one trip a year out west, but it would make the rest of the year a little tighter. When I take over the business, I'm sure I'll be much better off. It's not like I'm complaining now.

I went to Stowe in April and it was pretty awesome. We had freshies and I hit some amazing wood lines. I'm not complaining at all. I've hit Okemo at least 8 days, and I don't need to go back either. I also wouldn't not go back. There's just no point when Jay is closer than Okemo from my place in VT.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that I'm saying if you're gonna drive several hours why not go somewhere good. I don't think I'd have fun at bear creek.

I also can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with this within reason. If I am driving up to VT, I'm more than willing to take the extra hour from Okemo to Killington. Since I have a place at SB, that makes it irrelevant, but I would also drive an extra 40 minutes past Bell to get to Platty. When I'm in the car and driving 8 hours, an extra hour for better skiing and riding is negligible.

Okemo severely lacks in natural snowfall...

Lol.  its probably 4-5 times Blues natural snowfall.  

Lets remember that Okemo's target skier is the family unit. That applies to very few people on here.  They dont make any claims to have the most bad-ass skiing in Vermont.   Yes, every mountain has mellower terrain, Okemo has more.  They do have some pretty nice trees though.

So put Okemo right next to Blue, which one would you ski?  

Lol.  its probably 4-5 times Blues natural snowfall.  

Lets remember that Okemo's target skier is the family unit. That applies to very few people on here.  They dont make any claims to have the most bad-ass skiing in Vermont.   Yes, every mountain has mellower terrain, Okemo has more.  They do have some pretty nice trees though.

So put Okemo right next to Blue, which one would you ski?

Okemo. Put Jackson hole next to Okemo which one would you ski??

PARidge and RideDE agreeing with me isn't a bad thing. I'm very logical!!!

Our little crew is pretty balanced in a funky way.....

Pa Ridge theory....... The bigger the steeper the better.....he will take the baller route with crust before a mellow line with 6-8" fresh. I'm quite the opposite, I want good snow and terrain is secondary. Anything that I feel like I'm managing more than skiing is only fun for a while than I'm ready to just ski.

BlueSkiDanTheMan is kinda in the middle.....he's turned into the tree whore that I used to be. Considering that when we met he wouldn't chance the trees too much and now he blows me away, his level of improvement is just crazy.

With all that said..... I can have fun at any mountain at any time....the level and length of that fun depends on...

Snow conditions

Terrain variety

Weather

People who I am skiing with

Travel time

Overall mood at the time

My physical conditioning, health

There was a time when I was the nutty Explorer of the three but that has definitely changed over the years.

• Like 3

Okemo is on the lower end of snowfall in VT, but it is by no means something to sneeze at. It's on par with the snow offerings in the Catskillz. I want to say they average "170? Granted most snowfall totals are calculated at the peak, so the base may very well be closer to 100". Killington is just an hour north, but it averages 250" at the peak. I'd have trouble believing that they hit 150" down by Skyeship @ Rt. 4.

The base at Okemo is only 1144 feet..doesn't matter how much snow Okemo gets they brutally groom that mountain for the low intermediates that frequent the place.

Other than the trees, I don't know if they really have any trails that are natural only trails. Those are becoming much rarer in the Northeast. SR also grooms the crap out of everything. Very annoying.

Went to Okemo Last year with my 7 year old.  We had a great time.  It is very fairly friendly and the heated bubble lifts are pretty awesome on a cold day.  My son loved it

If you go to Okemo.  The Timber Inn Motel was a nice place for the price.

this is the okemo target skier - fun place to cruise with the fam for sure. years ago a bunch of friends would do a vt every year and each of us would take turns selecting the mountains so the perpetual intermediates in the group would always choose okemo or Stratton. Good thing is you can always find a seat at the bar at okemo! Stratton is kind like a Disney/mall version of vt, the parking garage is a reall stoke stomper for me, would rather walk two miles through a muddy lot outside. We did southern vt a bunch of years and would rather be at mt snow, bromley and magic

Personally, I still find Mt. Snow and Bromley to be similar to Okemo in terms of terrain. Not a make or break, but just how I feel.

Magic, bar none, has the best terrain in the southern half of VT. It's just tough getting it sometimes with limited terrain and lift openings.

this is the okemo target skier - fun place to cruise with the fam for sure. years ago a bunch of friends would do a vt every year and each of us would take turns selecting the mountains so the perpetual intermediates in the group would always choose okemo or Stratton. Good thing is you can always find a seat at the bar at okemo! Stratton is kind like a Disney/mall version of vt, the parking garage is a reall stoke stomper for me, would rather walk two miles through a muddy lot outside. We did southern vt a bunch of years and would rather be at mt snow, bromley and magic

MBike how do you like Okemo compared to Whiteface??

Haven't been to whiteface since high school I only asked Mike cause he goes there most years.

It's out in the middle of nowhere. Limited amenities. Some of the terrain got repetitive, but I enjoyed the steepness, view, snow quality, and lift infrastructure. I'll go back this year.

That being said, I still prefer Gore...

It's out in the middle of nowhere. Limited amenities. Some of the terrain got repetitive, but I enjoyed the steepness, view, snow quality, and lift infrastructure. I'll go back this year.

That being said, I still prefer Gore...

When I skied whiteface there were only three runs from the top.

When I skied whiteface there were only three runs from the top.

did they have gondola?  high speed quad?  we know you put lift service up pretty high on your scorecard.  

Whiteface is cool.  i like whiteface.  What i dont like about Whiteface, is the lack of options.  like you are pretty much just going to ski whiteface.  yes, gore isnt that far, but still, not as many options, as say Vermont.  Utah is similar.  Stay central, go where conditions are best.  

The whiteface theory could also apply to Steamboat.  Another personal fav.  

did they have gondola?  high speed quad?  we know you put lift service up pretty high on your scorecard.  

Whiteface is cool.  i like whiteface.  What i dont like about Whiteface, is the lack of options.  like you are pretty much just going to ski whiteface.  yes, gore isnt that far, but still, not as many options, as say Vermont.  Utah is similar.  Stay central, go where conditions are best.  

The whiteface theory could also apply to Steamboat.  Another personal fav.

No none of those things. I went with ski club in 9th grade and 12th grade. I did manage something like 35,000 vert per day at whiteface but I skied alone to maximize vert as most people I went to high school with were gapers and rentards. Speaking of fast lifts...the main two lifts I use at Jackson hole, thunder and sublette are not high speed but they are super steep and direct and cover about 1500 vert in like 7-8 minutes. The new teton lift is high speed.

Phillycore time to be a nutty explorer again. You remember the bushwacking we did years ago to the right of Floyd's???

I'm fairly certain that was me, you and Jeff. I thought you had a photographic memory.

Our little crew is pretty balanced in a funky way.....

Pa Ridge theory....... The bigger the steeper the better.....he will take the baller route with crust before a mellow line with 6-8" fresh. I'm quite the opposite, I want good snow and terrain is secondary. Anything that I feel like I'm managing more than skiing is only fun for a while than I'm ready to just ski.

BlueSkiDanTheMan is kinda in the middle.....he's turned into the tree whore that I used to be. Considering that when we met he wouldn't chance the trees too much and now he blows me away, his level of improvement is just crazy.

With all that said..... I can have fun at any mountain at any time....the level and length of that fun depends on...

Snow conditions

Terrain variety

Weather

People who I am skiing with

Travel time

Overall mood at the time

My physical conditioning, health

There was a time when I was the nutty Explorer of the three but that has definitely changed over the years.

So true

I'm fairly certain that was me, you and Jeff. I thought you had a photographic memory.

Sorry thought Phillycore was also in those woods actually on second thought if Phillycore entered those woods he would have probably ended up on his belly head first with his skis stuck against a tree lol.