IF 2/6 Saturday

C1erArt

Was out in the morning after a couple hours on Friday. Very solid and fast on Friday with Floyd's a little bumpy.

Heading out this afternoon, taking the morning off watching FIS women's super g on nbc sports extra.

Missed the big snow fall, but yesterday was great. They blew snow from the fans Friday night and left the headwalls on East mountain and Challenge with some powder. Headed right over to East before they closed Floyd's for racers, but they had the younger racers on Telstar and Solitude doing slalom, the older team was off somewhere so Floyd's was open all day.

Skied a couple dozen runs listening to Springsteen until the rentals started coming over around 10.

IMG_3728_zpszwkhq1dy.jpg

They put a lot of snow into Challenge glade, and was able to ski all the way down to the race shack - first time I skied the lower gray birch area in quite a while. Did scrape my bases a little on a camouflaged rock.

Then a few runs on an empty Challenge, then Thunderbolt, Exhibition, and called it a day. Exhibition bumps looked good, being top to bottom with new snow, but decided not to push my luck. Skipped the lodge this time and booted up in the lot.

• Like 3

we were out sunday morning. challenge glades still had decent coverage. bumps on t-bolt and exhibition started out firm but softened up nicely.

I was there too....and concur.  

Nice day.  Sun was out.  Nice views on east mountain, but the skiing was kind of boring there.  Was surprised those happy land trees were skiable at all given he rain.  

I might be in the 'they should add a high speed lift' camp now.  I was skiing alone while my kid and friend bopped around on their own, and boy, you do spend a lot of time on those slow lifts there...

Anyway, a fun time.

• Like 1

I was there too....and concur.  

Nice day.  Sun was out.  Nice views on east mountain, but the skiing was kind of boring there.  Was surprised those happy land trees were skiable at all given he rain.  

I might be in the 'they should add a high speed lift' camp now.  I was skiing alone while my kid and friend bopped around on their own, and boy, you do spend a lot of time on those slow lifts there...

Anyway, a fun time.

Frost can be alot of fun, but the stuff other than the trails has to be in play.  Otherwise, it will close in on you pretty quick, and get kind of boring.  Years ago, Phillycore made a push for them to clean up the elevator and open it back up.  They cleaned it up, cleared out some trees above it, and it was really good for like the first two years.  seems like as the years wore on, stuff like that sort of got neglected.  the elevator needs a haircut, and i spent some time last year cleaning out the E glade.  They blew snow on top of huge branches, rather than spend a little time before hand to clean them out.  In a year where we get good snowfall, there are lots of trees to play in, Gonzo's grind, Mad tree glade, and off of Telstar.  For the life of me, i cant figure out why they just give up on T-bolt glade, and just keep challenge glade in really good shape.  T-bolt glade needs a crap load of snow to cover up the boulders that are in there, and i've seen a bunch of people get hauled out of there in stretchers.  In really good snow years, Frost can be tons of fun.  there really is some more area there to explore.  

• Like 1

At this point the best thing about Frost is the lack of crowds. Other than that it's getting too small.Also, my girls have been asking about tubing and I just found out it's not included in the season pass and there's no discount. That's weak!

Frost was small when I first skied there in 9th grade. I just can't imagine spending so much time riding lifts and so little time skiing. My minimum run length is blue.

Frost can be alot of fun, but the stuff other than the trails has to be in play.  Otherwise, it will close in on you pretty quick, and get kind of boring.  Years ago, Phillycore made a push for them to clean up the elevator and open it back up.  They cleaned it up, cleared out some trees above it, and it was really good for like the first two years.  seems like as the years wore on, stuff like that sort of got neglected.  the elevator needs a haircut, and i spent some time last year cleaning out the E glade.  They blew snow on top of huge branches, rather than spend a little time before hand to clean them out.  In a year where we get good snowfall, there are lots of trees to play in, Gonzo's grind, Mad tree glade, and off of Telstar.  For the life of me, i cant figure out why they just give up on T-bolt glade, and just keep challenge glade in really good shape.  T-bolt glade needs a crap load of snow to cover up the boulders that are in there, and i've seen a bunch of people get hauled out of there in stretchers.  In really good snow years, Frost can be tons of fun.  there really is some more area there to explore.  

What is Gonzo's grind?

Yeah, I agree - when these little things are open, it's pretty fun.  Just the trails get's you bored very fast.

Frost was small when I first skied there in 9th grade. I just can't imagine spending so much time riding lifts and so little time skiing. My minimum run length is blue.

yeah, but the crowds at blue can be so soul crushing.  JF you have the place to yourself.  What people are there are pretty chill too.  I get a little bummed listening to the cursing and attitudes of the crowds at blue and CB when skiing with the kids.  

How were the lines sunday?

• Like 1

yeah, but the crowds at blue can be so soul crushing.  JF you have the place to yourself.  What people are there are pretty chill too.  I get a little bummed listening to the cursing and attitudes of the crowds at blue and CB when skiing with the kids.  

How were the lines sunday?

I'm cool with getting in a quick two hours of no lift lines and lots of runs at blue. Would take double as many runs and double as long on the lift at JF to get that. Most of the cursing and attitudes at blue are the kids. Lines weren't bad Sunday cause of the super bowl. No more than a few minutes. Easy 7 runs first hour and 6 second hour and then one third hour and then beers.

At this point, I don't see myself buying a season pass next season.... Most likely I'll start day tripping it different places.

There's a lot I miss about JF, and a lot I don't.

I can say the same thing for all the places I've skied.

This includes out west too...

Do you miss being an instructor??

I'm cool with getting in a quick two hours of no lift lines and lots of runs at blue. Would take double as many runs and double as long on the lift at JF to get that. Most of the cursing and attitudes at blue are the kids. Lines weren't bad Sunday cause of the super bowl. No more than a few minutes. Easy 7 runs first hour and 6 second hour and then one third hour and then beers.

Yeah, that is ideal, but I'm driving 1:45 each way, so a few runs, then bailing when the crowds come isn't an option. 

I skied til 2 yesterday and never waited more than 5 minutes. Most of the time it wasn't even worth taking the VIP line because crowds were not bad.

Nice. 

What is Gonzo's grind?

Yeah, I agree - when these little things are open, it's pretty fun.  Just the trails get's you bored very fast.

gonzo's is the area under the upper portion of the east mtn chair. I think I may have skied it once...maybe. just boat loads of cobbles and junk in there.

At Frost Sunday afternoon I skied onto the lifts pretty much every time with no wait.  Also did 6-7 runs per hour, but of course those runs are 1/2 the length of Blue.  For me the major attraction of Frost is the great snow conditions.  Even late Sunday afternoon Challenge was in great shape and T-bolt was good sking except for the middle of the first headwall.

• Like 1