Monarch Mountain TR

Barb

I asked the kids for weeks to go on a ski weekend with me away from I-70. At the last minute they finally gave me a solid no. It's kind of a sad day as a parent when the reality sets in that your kids are too old to want to spend time with you (unless they want money). They would do a weekend like that with their dad, but teenage boy don't mix with their moms I guess.

Anyway I decided to try Monarch Mountain. All the schools had off today and I knew I-70 would be a shitshow with long lines everywhere. Lift tickets are normally $74 but if you have a season pass to another CO resort they are $40, score! It is a small mountain with 5 fixed grip lifts, mostly doubles. They have all natural snow, no guns.

The last storm cycle was almost 2 weeks ago so the snow was pretty hard pack but the grooming was nice. Felt a bit like I was at Eldora just doing laps. But the scenery was great, nice views from te top of each lift. I got a solid 3 hours in with no breaks before the crowds started filling in. The place has a real nice vibe. All the employees were incredibly friendly from the parking attendants to the liftees.

There is a double black bowl that I hear is fun but I am definitely not at that level. Overall a fun day, bluebird skies. Can't ask for more.

968c2f5f23ef22c57e447eba47cdae55.jpg

fb523c9bf4c3ccacaf74dee91122b5e5.jpg

0ea49d269cf40e576583c6a62b6f049e.jpg

eb570ae6af31f6ec9813a2dce7bd28f6.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice,  Their Cat skiing is supposed to be incredible, but it's a bit pricey at $350/day.

I'll be heading there at the end of March ... 2 days at CB and 1 at Monarch.  I didn't know about that $40 deal but I got a 3-pack of tix for $100 at Christy's PowderDaze.

Thanks guys :)

Phillycore and JFBBDan beat me to it. My mom was never an avid skier. She skied a little as a kid at apple hill and doe mountain and up at split rock..but fuck when I was in high school I would not turn down an opportunity to ski even if I was slumming it with my ski patroller uncle at Jack Frost...floyds was a lot steeper back then..

I'm starting to plan my April trip to Colorado maybe I'll see you and kragan out there and chippy and Jordan!!!

• Like 1

Nice. When your boys get to their 20's they'll start hanging with you again. Our son is 26, lives in Arizona. We're going out to see him again in April. I mentioned he didn't have to hang out with us all the time. He answered that he wanted to hang out with us a lot. Made me feel pretty good.  :)

• Like 1