Snowbasin 2-24-2016

guitar73

ski day #4 was hosted by snowbasin. after skiing it hard at the bird yesterday, we all decided that hitting the groomers of snowbasin was the way to go. we ate our hardy breakfasts and hit the road about 8am. stopped by a local ski shop to get our <barely> discounted lift tickets and then hopped on the highway north. hit very little traffic and was in the parking lot just a shade past 9 am. parking was fairly dense for a wednesday, so we didn't get an optimal spot. it didn't matter though, there were very short, if any, lift lines all day.

as we were oggeling over the opulant bathrooms, jfskidan here tell that the strawberry area was holding the goods today. so we went up the needles gondola and worked our way over to strawberry. sun and cord for as far as the eye can see. a little wind transport as well helped to round things out. we laid the hammer down all the way to the strawberry gondola base. 2400 vert feet later we were at the top and the winds were howling fierce. we lapped strawberry all morning until my buddy rob fell ill and had to get a ski patrol ride back to the main base area. jfskidan and i met up with rob back at the main lodge, made sure he was ok, and then grabbed lunch. rob found a comfy couch to crash on and we went up the john paul lift to check out that area. jfskidan wanted to check out the downhill start areas, so we took the aerial tram up. we were headed for the women's start, which is a few hundred vert feet below the men's. a very sketchy narrow trail with hairpin switchbacks connects the two starts. it kinda reminded us of burma road, but with more serious consequences of wiping out.

we pretty much stuck to the groomers in the john paul and needles area for the rest of the afternoon. the snow started out hard but softened up nicely. here is one pic from today...because internet is sucking right now. will upload more later.

post-8325-0-53584700-1456363449_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

ski day #4 was hosted by snowbasin. after skiing it hard at the bird yesterday, we all decided that hitting the groomers of snowbasin was the way to go. we ate our hardy breakfasts and hit the road about 8am. stopped by a local ski shop to get our <barely> discounted lift tickets and then hopped on the highway north. hit very little traffic and was in the parking lot just a shade past 9 am. parking was fairly dense for a wednesday, so we didn't get an optimal spot. it didn't matter though, there were very short, if any, lift lines all day.

as we were oggeling over the opulant bathrooms, jfskidan here tell that the strawberry area was holding the goods today. so we went up the needles gondola and worked our way over to strawberry. sun and cord for as far as the eye can see. a little wind transport as well helped to round things out. we laid the hammer down all the way to the strawberry gondola base. 2400 vert feet later we were at the top and the winds were howling fierce. we lapped strawberry all morning until my buddy rob fell ill and had to get a ski patrol ride back to the main base area. jfskidan and i met up with rob back at the main lodge, made sure he was ok, and then grabbed lunch. rob found a comfy couch to crash on and we went up the john paul lift to check out that area. jfskidan wanted to check out the downhill start areas, so we took the aerial tram up. we were headed for the women's start, which is a few hundred vert feet below the men's. a very sketchy narrow trail with hairpin switchbacks connects the two starts. it kinda reminded us of burma road, but with more serious consequences of wiping out.

we pretty much stuck to the groomers in the john paul and needles area for the rest of the afternoon. the snow started out hard but softened up nicely. here is one pic from today...because internet is sucking right now. will upload more later.

attachicon.gifIMG_0144.JPG

Dropping in off the left side of the tram after a short little boot pack is a fun chute, how was the snow looking in there?

^^ off strawberry? If so, it looked ok, but we really didnt see many people hiking anything. They had snow last week, but monday/tuesday snow didnt yeild them much. We played around in a few trees but not much good in them. Some were straight up luge runs depending on how they face and tree density. It was a good day to put the legs in check. It was pretty hard to leave.

^^ off strawberry? If so, it looked ok, but we really didnt see many people hiking anything. They had snow last week, but monday/tuesday snow didnt yeild them much. We played around in a few trees but not much good in them. Some were straight up luge runs depending on how they face and tree density. It was a good day to put the legs in check. It was pretty hard to leave.

those are fun but no, I meant off the top of John Paul tram by the downhill course

those are fun but no, I meant off the top of John Paul tram by the downhill course

Nothing against anyone on this site and Im sure Im going to sound like a dickhead for saying it, but I dont think most people here would even look at that and say "Im going to ski that chute" 

• Like 2

Nothing against anyone on this site and Im sure Im going to sound like a dickhead for saying it, but I dont think most people here would even look at that and say "Im going to ski that chute" 

Many moons ago, I watched a dude get posted up in that general area while riding up JP. Ate lunch came back out and he had moved about 10 feet to an even worse position skier's right.

It had to be at least 45mins....I always wondered if he's dead now, just said fuck it and leapt......

I can't honestly say that I've skied anything like that....however, I have shit myself surviving a few of those....
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1456498381.994813.jpg

The upper portion of this would be one of those....scary steep but what sketches me out the most would be pretty much any section really steep and so narrow that a hockey stop isn't possible....at that point I get mindfucked.

I figured your time as an instructor at Jackson frost would prepare you for something like that.

• Like 1

here are a few additional photos.

base area.
post-8325-0-18572600-1456967215_thumb.jpg

jfskidan chillin'.

post-8325-0-46225700-1456967243_thumb.jpg

earl's lodge. that's some serious lumber.

post-8325-0-52331400-1456967300_thumb.jpg

on the way down to the women's DH start. this photo doesn't do it justice. kinda reminded me of burma road.

post-8325-0-36886700-1456967329_thumb.jpg

• Like 3