Colorado Trip 4/5-4/7...

I'm hitting up Copper mountain again today. I'll get some pictures since I left phone in car at copper two days ago. I'm feeling like this trip is flying by. Been here at the La Quinta inn for five nights now. One more night here tonight then I need to book somewhere to stay by the Denver airport tomorrow night. The Hyatt place where I've stayed twice for $99 per night is $169 so might stay at the best western plus which is under $100.

I definitely skied a lot more fresh snow than expectedly it snowed of varying intensities through early afternoon. Was snowing so wet near the base and a graupel mid mountain. Aside from the first few runs the best pow I found was off the backside of the Sierra lift. One of the few non high speed quads. I had a solid several hundred vert of fresh till I was back down in the Timberline area. I thought about hitting the waffle stand twice but resisted as it wasn't a nice day to sit outside and eat a waffle. Despite periods of low visibility I was able to fly as the new snow mixed in well with the refrozen spring snow.

I had a good parking spot at 8:35am...post-512-0-03390000-1460316986_thumb.jpeg

Scenery was good on the drive ..post-512-0-70077100-1460317013_thumb.jpeg

I was enjoying the new snow. post-512-0-28111900-1460317044_thumb.jpeg

Meadow skipping. post-512-0-18359200-1460317079_thumb.jpeg

Ominous sky's post-512-0-55886100-1460317118_thumb.jpeg

Lift ticket with buddy pass was only $69..window rate right now is $100.

• Like 5

Today is the last ski day...sort of surreal. It doesn't seem that long ago when I was at Blue for their Monday opening. This season was a blur. Gonna hit up Loveland on my way to Denver today. Booked a room at the best western plus Denver airport for $95. I believe my flight tomorrow back to Newark is around 11am.

This trip will end up being 2 days at Loveland 2 days at Copper mountain and 2 days at ABasin.

For lift tickets I spent Abasin 2 day $159..first copper day $79, second copper day $69..first Loveland day $65 and I believe spring rates at Loveland are in effect today which makes it only like $53. Filled up the Hyundai Santa Fe yesterday for $28. The gas station closest to I-70 is $2.79 a gallon and plenty of people are always filling up there. Next gas station is $2.39. Go a mile to the Cum and Go and it's $1.99 a gallon. I'd avoid the pizza there.

• Like 4

Today at Loveland was super nice. Unfortunately I forgot my phone in my car so no pictures although it was overcast and snowing most of the time so pictures wouldn't have been that good. There were about 1/4 as many people at Loveland as on Saturday and the temperature was around 30 degrees out. I pretty much made my way across the mountain starting wth two laps on lift one including some glades that had a tiny bit of fresh. Then lift 6, Ptaragim lift, lift 2 and over to lift 9. At the top of lift 9 there was a white out and I experienced a bit of vertigo. I skied some woods and this patrolled absolutely destroyed this tree line. There was fresh cord the entire time I skied and I definitely made sure to go as fast as I could. I even skied one groomer near the bottom

Of chair 6 that rivaled some of the steep groomers at Jackson hole albeit shorter. The off piste terrain ranged from fluffy to scratchy.

Being that today was my last day of the season I experienced all sorts of emotions. After about 10-12 laps I was getting cold and hungry so took a final run and got in my car and drove the hour to Denver and I just checked in at the best western plus near the airport. Also ate a roast beef sang. All in all a successful trip although I should knock on wood before my flight home tomorrow and Newark airport fuckery. Thanks to all who followed along in this report. I think I'll post some cheers and jeers later.

• Like 4

At the best western plus now by Denver airport. Pretty nice room has a table/ desk couch and tissues on demand. I can't get over the enormity of my room at the la Quinta inn. The second floor extended back behind the hallway as it was the top floor of that wing. I walked up those 14 steep spiral steps prob 30 times. Also two TVs and I didn't use either. Only thing I really brought in each night were my boots and wow were they feeling good the second half of the trip. The first day they sucked not skiing for 17 days previous my feet were weird. I left a $5 tip for housekeeping plus all my coins that are non quarters. I need the quarters for laundry and the coin push game at the diner. That's one thing I always see is the poverty in ski towns. The Wendy's in Silverthorne pays $12 an hour and honestly the service there was top notch...also left behind 5 cans of Labatt bleu for housekeeping.

I'm assuming the poverty line is sarcasm

Sort of but living in an expensive resort town making just over minimum wage isn't exactly living the dream. Sure most skibums out here are from exotic places like jersey and have undergraduate liberal arts and business degrees to fall back on but they're having fun.

In the security line at Newark. It's massive and barely moving. I bet some people will miss their flights. I have an hour and fifteen minutes till boarding so I ain't tripping.

I swear EWR was a big reason we moved.  Not that LaGuardia or JFK are any improvement.  We'd come home and hit EWR and it was always a nightmare somewhere.  If not the airport, then just finding your way HOME from the airport, with the left hand exits and construction was a terror.  Any time I miss good deli, I remember Newark.  

I will say that on a per day basis, Jackson hole mid season is cheaper than Colorado in the spring due to no car rentals needed and Jackson hole central reservations deals. It's not apples to apples comparing the two. Jackson hole mid winter is a lot more crowded than Colorado in the spring time.