2015-2016 Season Review

Ride Delaware ?

Now that Killington has shut down the lifts for the season, the Northeast ski season has come to a close. It was not a good east coast year. I'm expecting that those who went west this year had a much better snow condition year.

For me, it was the worst season I have had since 10/11. I posted only 60 days, all of which were at Sugarbush/Mount Ellen. I wasn't able to get in the trees at all this season. Posted a volunteer career high of 40 patrol days (really wasn't worth free skiing alone). Didn't get an October or May Day in this year. The bad conditions put it all in perspective. Really wasn't as bummed out as I expected to be.

How was everyone else's year?

i made the most of what we had. definetly the worst season weather and conditions wise of the 16 i have been snowboarding, but i still enjoyed it. i did get my greatest PA day of all time in during the blizzard

I had a buddy who went over to Wisp during the great blizzard, and he said it was stellar. Unfortunately, the snow came too far south and I had to work the storm...

I made the most of it, but I definitely wasn't as driven as I have been the past couple years...

My season was average.  I could have had more days, started out strong, but then didn't ski for a whole month.  Got in a few really good powder days (which would have been better if I could ski powder ;)).  I missed the PASR crew since they didn't visit this year.  A little bittersweet giving up the place in Winter Park, but hopefully my place in Crested Butte will be done by next ski season.  Demolition of the old house starts tomorrow.  Builder says 7 months but construction never goes according to schedule.  

Picked up a good book on training for alpine climbs.  Not totally relevant since I don't rock climb but am following their suggestions.  My hope is to hike Longs Peak in August.  If not Longs then at least a 10-12 mile 14er with 4500' elevation gain.  

Edited by Barb
  • Like 1

My season was average.  I could have had more days, started out strong, but then didn't ski for a whole month.  Got in a few really good powder days (which would have been better if I could ski powder ;)).  I missed the PASR crew since they didn't visit this year.  A little bittersweet giving up the place in Winter Park, but hopefully my place in Crested Butte will be done by next ski season.  Demolition of the old house starts tomorrow.  Builder says 7 months but construction never goes according to schedule.  

Picked up a good book on training for alpine climbs.  Not totally relevant since I don't rock climb but am following their suggestions.  My hope is to hike Longs Peak in August.  If not Longs then at least a 10-12 mile 14er with 4500' elevation gain.

Barb have you ever skied created butte?? Do you think you'll mainly do day trips when you aren't going to crested butte???

Got the least # of days in that I have since I started skiing again 5 years ago so that was a bummer. Had some really fun days at Blue though, my last 2 Saturdays up there especially come to mind. Fun crew and fun spring conditions. It was cool getting to see Stowe and sugarbush despite epic bad conditions. The trip to Taos was fun as always despite some variable conditions at times. Looking forward to a great 16/17 season with the usual blue days, Taos trip and maybe weaseling my way into some other PASRs trips if anything interesting presents itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barb have you ever skied created butte?? Do you think you'll mainly do day trips when you aren't going to crested butte???

I got the same pass as last year so I still plan on going to WP since it's close. I really hate day trips on the weekends since I-70 is always terrible. Found a cheap motel downtown WP I may use a few times. Will only have one kid at home next year so it may be easier for me to leave for a few days at a time during the week. We will see.

Staying local at community college for a year then he wants to transfer to University of Hawaii. Too bad he didn't get serious about school till this past year.

And I just realized I didn't answer your question; no never skied at CB.

Edited by Barb

Staying local at community college for a year then he wants to transfer to University of Hawaii. Too bad he didn't get serious about school till this past year.

And I just realized I didn't answer your question; no never skied at CB.

You're saving a shitload of money. I haven't skied CB since I was in college. It's not as large as most of the summit county areas but also not that busy mostly Texas tourists. Lots of extreme terrain and also I remember some decent greens and blues.

Oh it was wonderful. Didn't start till the beginning of January, ended in late January after breaking the shoulder, canceled Utah trip.

657c5d6f7d2cd245df50b7dd98535e67.jpg

Sorry to hear that Ridge. I hope everything is healing up well.

I've had to readjust to new norms since I stopped patrolling full time. Both of those years I posted 114 days. The past three have been 65, 77, and 60. The bad conditions just didn't force me to make the drive, and I didn't have the expendable cash to get out west. I should remedy that this season.

I was still able to make the best of it and hang out with my friends at the mountain a lot. I can't wait to get back out there next year. Here's to hoping for 300" plus in the Green's.

I had a great season all things considered weather wise. The 5 families we had up there from Christmas week on were solid so we made the best of it. Looking forward to next season starting early and being able to use our passes in NY, VT & NH.

I think the local resorts will open early due to social media.

I think the local resorts will open early due to social media.

I'm going to need more info than that... Why does social media play into early opening?

I had a great season all things considered weather wise. The 5 families we had up there from Christmas week on were solid so we made the best of it. Looking forward to next season starting early and being able to use our passes in NY, VT & NH.

Did you go with the Peak Resorts pass adding Hunter?

• 4 weeks later...