Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Yeah I definitely would take them to shop first, even if it costs extra. I don't understand how all of the DIN settings and tuning work.

Smart of you!!!!  You can make up the money for the shop mount by switching to Geico or buying the peanut butter and jelly that comes in the same jar. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Smart of you!!!!  You can make up the money for the shop mount by switching to Geico or buying the peanut butter and jelly that comes in the same jar. 

Yep. One thing I don't mess around with is bindings. I was skiing on old bindings not on the indemnification list for a few weeks in 2015, and I was always paranoid they would malfunction. I haven't tested the bindings on my Elans yet this season, but since I'm planning to upgrade anyway it doesn't matter.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Yep. One thing I don't mess around with is bindings. I was skiing on old bindings not on the indemnification list for a few weeks in 2015, and I was always paranoid they would malfunction. I haven't tested the bindings on my Elans yet this season, but since I'm planning to upgrade anyway it doesn't matter.

Thanks SandyAnus

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Did I tell you my first set of skis was $15 and came with the poles? It was a packaged deal at the Goodwill store.

Yeah you told me and the first pair of skis I owned I grabbed from my cousins basement.  They were K2 skis named after the worlds second highest mountain and I rented a pair of boots for the season from Nazareth sporting goods.  Not Nazareth in Israel but Nazareth pennsylvania known for its colonial charm..

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah you told me and the first pair of skis I owned I grabbed from my cousins basement.  They were K2 skis named after the worlds second highest mountain and I rented a pair of boots for the season from Nazareth sporting goods.  Not Nazareth in Israel but Nazareth pennsylvania known for its colonial charm..

Look, Facebook is spying on me. Because i wrote "Chamonix" somewhere on this forum yesterday.

image.png.b63a87eb00967a6739cee06b9eff4a3b.png

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is gonna be waste of money. New skis, new bindings... Just use the DIN chart. To graduate from beginners skis you need to mount your own bindings. Especially if they're integrated.

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

This is gonna be waste of money. New skis, new bindings... Just use the DIN chart. To graduate from beginners skis you need to mount your own bindings. Especially if they're integrated.

B-b-but Tarponhead got his skis mounted today by the shop and he's like an expert.

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

B-b-but Tarponhead got his skis mounted today by the shop and he's like an expert.

On what skis exactly did he have them mounted? Did that require drilling and a research of a drill pattern? Then probably he just chose to let others do it for him, to be safe and to save time. But if the bindings are integrated, it's just the matter of sliding the two parts on the rail and positioning them according to your BSL. The DIN settings you can get from the chart based on your weight and skiing abilities. They're an approximation anyway. Then turn those DIN screws with a screwdriver, be done and throw a party with the unspent cash.

Edited by eaf

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don't think SaltyAnt should mount his own bindings and set his own DINs unless he is a self described handy person.  Let an expert in the shop take care of it. 

No, I'm not a handy person. Since mounting bindings is a one-time thing, I'm fine letting the shop do it.

Now with my bike, I learned how to tune gear-shifting from watching YouTube videos because the damn thing always gets out of alignment and I got sick of going to the bike shop all the time. If I screw that up, worst case scenario is the chain pops off at low speed and I fall over at 2 mph maybe.

Now compare that to doing 50 mph on skis and having the binding come off.. yeah, no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Fine. Let's buy those skis first. Maybe then you'll see how it all fits and will reconsider. For you're being somewhat irrational here.

I'll blame Steeze for being irrational. I'm conservative when it comes to tuning/mounting gear that could result in injury, and since there's 1 vote for, and 1 vote against, I'll go with the less risky option.

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Not even integrated bindings? If no, then that's 2 votes for no and 1 vote for yes. Since I get to vote too that's 3 votes for no then.

I don’t really like intergrated binders and won’t be buying any skis that use them anytime soon. 

That being said, I’d mount intergrated binders, super easy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

I don’t really like intergrated binders and won’t be buying any skis that use them anytime soon.

Any reason? To me a binding is a binding. As long as my boot stays in when it's supposed to, and it pops out correctly in a fall, what does it matter?

Edited by saltyant

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Any reason? To me a binding is a binding. As long as my boot stays in when it's supposed to, and it pops out correctly in a fall, what does it matter?

Some integrated bindings are actually cool, at least if you believe marketing. The way how they're mounted on the ski itself allows the ski to flex better underneath the boot. Check out railflex.

But if you don't carve, the benefit is lost.