Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

25 minutes ago, eaf said:

Oh, brother. That's it. I'm off to watch Frozen 2010 now, it will correlate nicely with today's broken lifts. And you do the combined risk analysis of the hobby meanwhile.

Enjoy you must have a kid below age 7 lol merry xmas or if you are muslim happy Ramadan in advance. 

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Any reason? To me a binding is a binding. As long as my boot stays in when it's supposed to, and it pops out correctly in a fall, what does it matter?

For my skiing, I don’t see where they add much benefit. I had them on my Crossfire’s and Hot Rod Jet Fuel’s.  Easier to replace breaks brakes when they brake break.  My Mantras (bought used) came with PX’s so I put those on my Bacons. I decided to step up my game and go with Pivots for my new Head Monsters. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eaf said:

Some integrated bindings are actually cool, at least if you believe marketing. The way how they're mounted on the ski itself allows the ski to flex better underneath the boot. Check out railflex.

But if you don't carve, the benefit is lost.

I had Railiflex on my og Head Monsters.  Nice system.

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I swear Ski2Live saw the same exact movie and was telling me about it on the lift on the day we had hot cocoa.

Well, I'm surprised that with your obsessive overanalysing of everything you haven't actually watched it yet. Scary stuff... Happens on a lift of an Eastern mountain near you. :o Allegedly :)

That will put your worries over bindings into the right perspective!

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don't think SaltyAnt should mount his own bindings and set his own DINs unless he is a self described handy person.  Let an expert in the shop take care of it. 

I would encourage him to mount his own bindings whether they are integrated or not. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

In before he says no. 

I expect he will. Once he gets the skis and falls in love with them.

The reason for waxing is both to move faster in wet snow and to protect the bases from dirt and abrasion in hard and cold conditions.

Plus it's a crime not to wax sintered bases.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

I expect he will. Once he gets the skis and falls in love with them. The reason for waxing is both to move faster in wet snow and to protect the bases from dirt and abrasion in hard and cold conditions. Plus it's a crime not to wax sintered bases.

I should probably learn how to wax, and do it regularly. I moved across flat terrain with ease with the RTMs, whereas I struggle with my Elans.

2 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

I just set salty up with the best deal he will find this year. Shit or get off the pot time. 

This is truth. That price for brand new wrapped RTM81s is awesome. $35 for shipping is reasonable too. Even if you decide you want something wider in a season or two, you could probably move them for not much less than that, or hang onto them as your hardpack groomer ski and get something wider anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

This is truth. That price for brand new wrapped RTM81s is awesome. $35 for shipping is reasonable too. Even if you decide you want something wider in a season or two, you could probably move them for not much less than that, or hang onto them as your hardpack groomer ski and get something wider anyway.

Exactly. I doubt this will be my last pair of skis. I'll try them for a few seasons and also attend the demo sessions to try wider skis later in the year. But I really want a better ski for the rest of this season.

4 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Buy them now. No reason to dilly dilly any longer. You loved 'em, Root found you a great price, just do it. Your biggest problem is going to be finding a fake ID to get into the beer store to buy Root his thank you sixer.

Lol. Fake ID? I'm almost 30! Is this a McMuffin reference from that movie Superbad? People used to say I looked like McMuffin when I wore glasses.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Lol. Fake ID? I'm almost 30! Is this a McMuffin reference from that movie Superbad? People used to say I looked like McMuffin when I wore glasses.

I was just messing with you. Back on topic though,  you should seriously be able to put those bindings together yourself. I don't even want to say "mount," because you're not really mounting anything. The rails are already mounted, and you just have to slide the two pieces on there. Setting DIN is just a turn of a screwdriver, and forward pressure isn't hard to set with a bit of googling.

I'd take mine in for mounting if they had to be drilled and stuff, but these, no way it's worth paying for. 

Incidentally, if you were stuck on the 170 instead of 177, don't mind used and 2016 gear, these are killer cheap too:

http://www.powder7.com/Volkl-RTM-81-Skis-170cm-Used-2016/for-sale

But comparatively, $529 for brand new is a better deal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

I love it. No skis in sight, and we're almost arguing over who gets to wax them first.

Oh, btw, you WILL wax them yourself, right?!

I used to think I was the shit in college cause I'd use a gummy stone and rub on wax on my skis in the dorm hallway..I've never hot waxed myself and I have way over 1,000 lifetime ski days.  Ive also never used an iron on clothes..if stuff is wrinkled I steam up the bathroom to get wrinkles out..

10 minutes ago, Barb said:

:ph34r: McLovin 

Once I walked into a bar by my dorm and some guys were busting on me calling me "McMuffiin" because they thought I looked like McLoving or something. Then they busted me for asking the bartender for a 4 pack of beer when I guess they don't actually sell 4 packs.

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I should probably learn how to wax, and do it regularly. I moved across flat terrain with ease with the RTMs, whereas I struggle with my Elans.

Just get a cheap waxing kit and watch a couple of youtube vids. It's stupid easy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

I was just messing with you. Back on topic though,  you should seriously be able to put those bindings together yourself. I don't even want to say "mount," because you're not really mounting anything. The rails are already mounted, and you just have to slide the two pieces on there. Setting DIN is just a turn of a screwdriver, and forward pressure isn't hard to set with a bit of googling.

I'd take mine in for mounting if they had to be drilled and stuff, but these, no way it's worth paying for. 

Incidentally, if you were stuck on the 170 instead of 177, don't mind used and 2016 gear, these are killer cheap too:

http://www.powder7.com/Volkl-RTM-81-Skis-170cm-Used-2016/for-sale

But comparatively, $529 for brand new is a better deal.

Get the 177.