Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

10 hours ago, eaf said:

On what skis exactly did he have them mounted? Did that require drilling and a research of a drill pattern? Then probably he just chose to let others do it for him, to be safe and to save time. But if the bindings are integrated, it's just the matter of sliding the two parts on the rail and positioning them according to your BSL. The DIN settings you can get from the chart based on your weight and skiing abilities. They're an approximation anyway. Then turn those DIN screws with a screwdriver, be done and throw a party with the unspent cash.

Moment Bibby's, yes drilling.  They most likely used a Look jig to properly mount them (no guessing, searching for a pattern, etc.), set the DINs to his specs and test the release.
All in a couple of hours, while we were out skiing.  $72 for a couple of hours time, seems to make sense to me.  If you mount them yourself, you've got nobody else to blame but yourself!
It probably would have taken that much time just to find the drill pattern.   Paying a reputable shop to mount bindings properly is definitely worth it IMHO.  YMMV.

Edited by indiggio
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saltyant said:

Any reason? To me a binding is a binding. As long as my boot stays in when it's supposed to, and it pops out correctly in a fall, what does it matter?

Uh NO!  A binding is not just a binding.  You definitely get what you pay for.  Stay away from low-end, cheapo bindings.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

For my skiing, I don’t see where they add much benefit. I had them on my Crossfire’s and Hot Rod Jet Fuel’s.  Easier to replace breaks brakes when they brake break.  My Mantras (bought used) came with PX’s so I put those on my Bacons. I decided to step up my game and go with Pivots for my new Head Monsters. 

After reading a lot into the causes/reasons for ACL/MCL tears while skiing, I won't put any bindings other than Pivots on skis anymore.
The concept of a rotating heel piece makes a ton of sense to me to release in a sideways fashion, while all other bindings mostly only release in a vertical fashion.

Well worth the extra $, if they help save my knee from an injury.

Edited by indiggio

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Uh NO!  A binding is not just a binding.  You definitely get what you pay for.  Stay away from low-end, cheapo bindings.

To me a binding must be on the indemnification list and tested peroidically by a shop. If those criteria are met then I'm good.

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

After reading a lot into the causes/reasons for ACL/MCL tears while skiing, I won't put any bindings other than Pivots on skis anymore.
The concept of a rotating heel piece makes a ton of sense to me to release in a sideways fashion, while all other bindings mostly only release in a vertical fashion.

Well worth the extra $, if they help save my knee from an injury.

Agreed 100%

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

If i buy brand new Volkls I assume the binding will work fine if tested by a shop and then I'm good to ski on them. Correct?

I’m surprised you haven’t bought them yet. 

Get some new sticks. Merry Christmas. 🎄 

• Like 1