Jump to content
SallyCat

Help with Binding Mount Question?

Recommended Posts

Just got new Volkl RTMs with system bindings, and I put the bindings on the rails and then secured them with the one center screw they use. Problem is, one of the screws gets flush but won't tighten. The other one is fine. 

Any suggestions? Locktite or something?

(And no, I'm not doing the whole installation myself, I will have Blue's shop do a final adjustment and release test.)

These are the bindings. Thanks for any input.

https://abetterski.com/ski-binding-reviews/marker-ipt-wideride-12-ski-binding-review/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you put them in the ski stretcher that screw will fall into place. Then you can tighten it flush. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Once you put them in the ski stretcher

Length is overvalued. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wiggle it around a bit and force it?

 

 

 

seriously on the wiggle part, ive had a few system and demo bindings over the years and sometimes the plates can be a bitch to align

wtf is with all these rtm's?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, it's soooo important to pay for the final adjustments. Rocket science.

Is it the bolt that's stripped or where it's being screwed into? It's not clear from your picture where exactly that bolt is, but if it's anything like those Fischers or Atomics that I've seen, then it's not really load bearing. You'll be screwed only if it completely falls out. With that said, if the skis were bought locally, I'd just exchange them. If the screw is not too loose, I'd use blue loctite and then still check it every time I go skiing. Otherwise just create new threads and find a bigger bolt in HD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit, it just won't tighten.

All I want is to pay $25 for an adjustment instead of $80 for a mount. That's the only reason I put them on the rails to begin with--hoping that counts as "mounted."

 Most place don't charge as much to mount a system binding as they do a flat ski, but Blue seems to have only one price and I don't want to pay the high one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Oh this is sallys thread i apologize. Thought it was salty. 

It's ok man... we've all done that

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Oh this is sallys thread i apologize. Thought it was salty. 

They aren't the same?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Oh this is sallys thread i apologize. Thought it was salty. 

I'm the one with the girl parts. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SallyCat said:

I'm the one with the girl parts. 

That doesn't help differentiate.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RootDKJ said:

Does the acronym "RTM" on this ski mean anything?

Really Tough Mounting

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried swapping screws, same result. (I.e., it's the ski, not the screw).

"Ride the Mountain" because they're all-mountain skis. Also why we don't turn to the Germans for their creative genius. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCat said:

Tried swapping screws, same result. (I.e., it's the ski, not the screw).

Same result, meaning the same hole keeps spinning or does the spinning follow the screw?

Are the threads in the hole into which the screw is going stripped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, indiggio said:

Same result, meaning the same hole keeps spinning or does the spinning follow the screw?

Are the threads in the hole into which the screw is going stripped?

Yeah, sorry I was unclear. The same hole spins both screws. The other hole tightens both screws.

Not sure about the threads; I'd have to take the binding off to look at it I think. 

I'm about to give up and just hand it over to Blue's shop and see what they say. 

Thanks for the help, though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCat said:

Yeah, sorry I was unclear. The same hole spins both screws. The other hole tightens both screws.

Not sure about the threads; I'd have to take the binding off to look at it I think. 

I'm about to give up and just hand it over to Blue's shop and see what they say. 

Thanks for the help, though! 

Yeah, without actually seeing the ski/hole/threads, it's a bit hard to tell.

If you're gonna be at Blue tomorrow, could take a peek at it then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, indiggio said:

f you're gonna be at Blue tomorrow, could take a peek at it then?

Absolutely. I should be in the lot early.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with all the swapping and trying it's too late for a loctite now. So it's either drill bigger hole, put new threads and use bigger screw, or drill, put some thread repair coil in it and reuse old screw. Either way this will affect a resale.

Where did you score these RTMs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eaf said:

Where did you score these RTMs?

Got them online for a slight discount. Not worth it it seems. 

I don't necessarily care about resale, just not killing myself on sketchy bindings

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCat said:

Got them online for a slight discount. Not worth it it seems. 

I don't necessarily care about resale, just not killing myself on sketchy bindings

2018 RTM 84, 172?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eaf said:

I think with all the swapping and trying it's too late for a loctite now. So it's either drill bigger hole, put new threads and use bigger screw, or drill, put some thread repair coil in it and reuse old screw. Either way this will affect a resale.

Where did you score these RTMs?

Most likely threads are stripped.

Blue guys might have helicoil in house or bigger screw to put in there if it's shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×