Trip Report - 1/17/2018

saltyant

8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I need to get back to Jay.

I always liked stowe better..more sustained steeps and most of the good woods at stowe are off the map.  Both stowe and jay peak are both good places to visit last minute as the weather is so fickle in northern Vermont between wind, rain and -20 below temps. 

My first time to jay peak was during the great ice storm of 98. Me and my friend Ben who went to SUNY Binghamton went up in his Ford Explorer sport..it ended up raining the two days we skied so we then went to Montreal and spent two nights there during the ice storm...hit up Peel pub and club supersex.  Then that march I hit jay peak again after like 3 feet of snow and it was incredible..skied the face chutes and lots of woods...I sadly threw out pictures from that day back when I moved.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nosedive is the easiest black..and there's skiable woods on both sides of it..hayride and centerline are also both groomed black diamonds.  If you want to try a long natural bump run try Chin clip off the gondola.  That's a neat run.  Also there's some really fun blue trails off the big spruce chairlift. 

Thanks. I was wondering what black trail to start on, since I've yet to ski a black outside of NEPA. I'll start with Nosedive. I plan to ski as much of the mountain as I can. I wonder if I'll have bad luck with the conditions like you guys had in the past. That's surprising to me because I thought northern Vermont would have great quality snow throughout most of the winter.

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks. I was wondering what black trail to start on, since I've yet to ski a black outside of NEPA. I'll start with Nosedive. I plan to ski as much of the mountain as I can. I wonder if I'll have bad luck with the conditions like you guys had in the past. That's surprising to me because I thought northern Vermont would have great quality snow throughout most of the winter.

Conditions are a roll of the dice.  The best things about going to bigger mountains is skiing longer runs and New and steeper terrain.  You can have good and bad conditions anywhere.  It can rain all the way up to Canada or snow all the way down to northern Florida.  

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I hate mentioning Stowe on the Camelback forum, but the weather is looking great so far! 5-8 inches of freshies inbound next Monday, and then cold temps all next week. Looking excellent so far, despite a few brief warmups and rain showers forecasted.

It doesn't matter the weather now. What matters is when you are there.  It won't be crowded when you're in Vermont 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Its your thread hijack it to your hearts delight. 

I think an admin told me that it's against the rules to hijack your own thread.

It will be a fun experience regardless of the weather. Maybe I'll stop for some Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

It will be a fun experience regardless of the weather. Maybe I'll stop for some Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Hit the Cabot store up for unlimited free cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, saltyant said:

If you get there early enough on arrival day take the tour at Ben and jerrys.  I don't know if you like cheese but check out the Cabot creamery in Waterbury center it's just after Ben and jerrys on the way to stowe on the left and if you like apple disarm and cidar donuts check out the cold hollow cidar mill which is on the right side of 100 north. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Hit the Cabot store up for unlimited free cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just typing that.  I actually got kicked out once for grazing. They said I can have as many samples as I want if I make a purchase so from then on I'd buy a small jug of apple cidar and graze. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

24 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I was just typing that.  I actually got kicked out once for grazing. They said I can have as many samples as I want if I make a purchase so from then on I'd buy a small jug of apple cidar and graze. 

Nice, you were just like Producer Joe.

http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/pg/jsp/media/videoplayer.jsp?pid=22680

Can't wait to get some free cheese and also to take the B&J tour. Thanks for the tips.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Where are you staying at Stowe?  With family?  Friends?  Solo?

Northern Lights Lodge. Its cheap, close, and has good reviews.

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

Be sure to hit "The Bench" restaurant for some Putin!

Also, take a cooler with you and stop at The Alchemist and bring us back some Heady Topper and Focal Banger!

Thanks for the tips on eateries. Last year at Killington I stuck to the McDonald's dollar menu mostly, although I did expand my horizons a few times by going to Taco Bell and KFC.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for the tips on eateries. Last year at Killington I stuck to the McDonald's dollar menu mostly, although I did expand my horizons a few times by going to Taco Bell and KFC.

Yuck!   For the price you pay for crap, er, fast food these days, for a couple bucks more, you can get some good, local food.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Are you trolling again or is this for real?

5 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Are you trolling again or is this for real?

No I am serious. I've stopped trolling a long, long time ago. The problem now is even though I post true statements, people think it's trolling because most of what I do is bizarre to other people.