Trip Report - 1/17/2018

saltyant

53 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Northern Lights Lodge. Its cheap, close, and has good reviews.

Thanks for the tips on eateries. Last year at Killington I stuck to the McDonald's dollar menu mostly, although I did expand my horizons a few times by going to Taco Bell and KFC.

Awesome - you are right on the access road. There is a free bus that will shuttle you right to the mountain.  Your first day I think you will have to start on the Spruce side of the street and get your Stowe card.  Then after that you can go right to the lifts. 

And you are a 1/2 mile from the Matterhorn.  Best Apres spot there.  Great food too.  Don't be freaked out that they are serving sushi in a hard core locals bar - it's excellent.  Matterhorn Bowl is the best.  Pizza and appetizers are great too. And they have live music most nights.  Awesome place.

The Shed is the bar at the base of the Forerunner Quad and that's the best on- mountain bar.  If I were staying on the access road and was using the bus, I would end every day at the Shed, then take the Bus to the Matterhorn for an appetizer and beer, then hotel and head out to town for dinner. 

Do you enjoy beer?  As mentioned, don't miss the Bench.  Best beer menu around.   If you are overwhelmed, Hill Farmstead is IMO the best beer on tap in northern Vt.  'Edward' is their pale ale and it's great.   If you like shuffle board, go to the Roost.  

If you don't mind a 20 minute drive, dinner at Waterbury - which you will pass through on your way to Stowe.  Prohibition Pig is exceptionally good BBQ and again, killer beer menu.

I'd skip the Ben and Jerry's tour - we did it this winter.  Kind of lame.

Excuse me if I mis-read your skiing, but if you are looking for mellower blacks, in addition to the aforementioned tails off the Quad and Gondola, Whirlaway - if open - and Smugglers off the Sensation Quad, and also on the lift - Sterling is a great blue trail.   If you need to check one of the front four off your list, and you are feeling intimidated (again, I apologize if I am mis reading your skiing - I don't mean to insult) Lift Line is often groomed on the skier's left side, and honestly after the head wall and first two pitches, it's a pretty normal trail.   The head wall is crazy steep, but you know....just slid down that SOB.... You can also try your hand at lower national off liftline - which, if there is snow - will be wall to wall bumps, but a mellower pitch compared to upper national.

Goat is probably my favorite trail in the world, and really, just a quintessential New England ski trail - if the snow is soft, and you are up for it....might be worth giving it a go...maybe skip upper goat (if it's open - it often isn't) and slide through the trees at the top of the Lifeline head wall.  9 times of 10, that's the start the trail as upper is usually closed.  It's as steep as lifeline, but 1/4 as wide, and always bumped side to side.  So, you can kind of get a sense of what you are in for if you ski the groomed half of liftline.

But really, there is so much great blue and mellow black terrain at Stowe - just an absurd amount really....Perry Merril, Gondolier, Sunrise, Nose Dive, Chin Clip....so many great cruisers.   

On mountain food  -  Spruce lodge has great food - both variety and quality.  But gets wicked crowded.  The Octagon a the top of the Quad is very good, and often a bit less jammed.  I've never eaten at the top of the Gondi - the cliff house I think it's called. But it's a sit down affair.   Skip the lodge at the base of the quad for food - kind of lame and jammed most days. 

Have fun man - Stowe is an incredible mountain and a really, really fun town.

And +1 on the cooler and Heady Topper and Focal Banger.  Their Crusher is also an incredibly good, and smooth drinking, 9% ABV double IPA.  They have a bunch of other beers now, but HT and FB are still my favorites.

Sorry for the long post.  I love that place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I know a guy that eats animal crackers, chocolate bars, and pretzels for dinner and he's 20 years older than me and healthy. True story. So I should be fine.

That just sounds fucking horrible.  Why anyone would choose that when you can have a delicious juice piece of hot meat is beyond me.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Awesome - you are right on the access road. There is a free bus that will shuttle you right to the mountain.  Your first day I think you will have to start on the Spruce side of the street and get your Stowe card.  Then after that you can go right to the lifts. 

And you are a 1/2 mile from the Matterhorn.  Best Apres spot there.  Great food too.  Don't be freaked out that they are serving sushi in a hard core locals bar - it's excellent.  Matterhorn Bowl is the best.  Pizza and appetizers are great too. And they have live music most nights.  Awesome place.

The Shed is the bar at the base of the Forerunner Quad and that's the best on- mountain bar.  If I were staying on the access road and was using the bus, I would end every day at the Shed, then take the Bus to the Matterhorn for an appetizer and beer, then hotel and head out to town for dinner. 

Do you enjoy beer?  As mentioned, don't miss the Bench.  Best beer menu around.   If you are overwhelmed, Hill Farmstead is IMO the best beer on tap in northern Vt.  'Edward' is their pale ale and it's great.   If you like shuffle board, go to the Roost.  

If you don't mind a 20 minute drive, dinner at Waterbury - which you will pass through on your way to Stowe.  Prohibition Pig is exceptionally good BBQ and again, killer beer menu.

I'd skip the Ben and Jerry's tour - we did it this winter.  Kind of lame.

Excuse me if I mis-read your skiing, but if you are looking for mellower blacks, in addition to the aforementioned tails off the Quad and Gondola, Whirlaway - if open - and Smugglers off the Sensation Quad, and also on the lift - Sterling is a great blue trail.   If you need to check one of the front four off your list, and you are feeling intimidated (again, I apologize if I am mis reading your skiing - I don't mean to insult) Lift Line is often groomed on the skier's left side, and honestly after the head wall and first two pitches, it's a pretty normal trail.   The head wall is crazy steep, but you know....just slid down that SOB.... You can also try your hand at lower national off liftline - which, if there is snow - will be wall to wall bumps, but a mellower pitch compared to upper national.

Goat is probably my favorite trail in the world, and really, just a quintessential New England ski trail - if the snow is soft, and you are up for it....might be worth giving it a go...maybe skip upper goat (if it's open - it often isn't) and slide through the trees at the top of the Lifeline head wall.  9 times of 10, that's the start the trail as upper is usually closed.  It's as steep as lifeline, but 1/4 as wide, and always bumped side to side.  So, you can kind of get a sense of what you are in for if you ski the groomed half of liftline.

But really, there is so much great blue and mellow black terrain at Stowe - just an absurd amount really....Perry Merril, Gondolier, Sunrise, Nose Dive, Chin Clip....so many great cruisers.   

On mountain food  -  Spruce lodge has great food - both variety and quality.  But gets wicked crowded.  The Octagon a the top of the Quad is very good, and often a bit less jammed.  I've never eaten at the top of the Gondi - the cliff house I think it's called. But it's a sit down affair.   Skip the lodge at the base of the quad for food - kind of lame and jammed most days. 

Have fun man - Stowe is an incredible mountain and a really, really fun town.

And +1 on the cooler and Heady Topper and Focal Banger.  Their Crusher is also an incredibly good, and smooth drinking, 9% ABV double IPA.  They have a bunch of other beers now, but HT and FB are still my favorites.

Sorry for the long post.  I love that place.

My suggestion to Salty is to not take the bus..it stops at a ton of places and with Salty arriving for opening at 730ish he'll get front row parking and be able to ski back to his car. Salty doesn't drink beer suggestions are a waste of bandwidth. 

I agree with goat and whirlaway being nice runs. Also lookout under the lookout double to the skiers right of Starr is nice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

There's Mexican food in Stowe at tres amigos.  I know you're an adventurous guy but waitsfield is awfully far to drive for some tacos. 

We usually stop on the way back to Stowe after skiing MRG or Sugarbush.

It's not only for the food, the atmosphere is pretty cool too.

Here’s a little history Salty. Back in the 1930s, thousands of folks would line the sides of nose dive to watch the races. (Meatheads have a great movie that captures the story and images of this)

http://www.stowetoday.com/things_to_do/spotlight/a-stowe-legend-the-nose-dive/article_d129ca83-66bf-535d-a829-049f0a31f936.html

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Here’s a little history Salty. Back in the 1930s, thousands of folks would line the sides of nose dive to watch the races. (Meatheads have a great movie that captures the story and images of this)

http://www.stowetoday.com/things_to_do/spotlight/a-stowe-legend-the-nose-dive/article_d129ca83-66bf-535d-a829-049f0a31f936.html

Nice and nosedive has significantly been mellowed out over the years.  There used to be 7 turns and now there's only two turns..3 if you hike up above the top of the quad where the original downhill race began.  Back in those days air travel was only for the wealthy so people who lived in the east mainly skied the east.  

Midway is also a pretty cool run and most of S-53 remains in the woods skiers left of liftline. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Nice and nosedive has significantly been mellowed out over the years.  There used to be 7 turns and now there's only two turns..3 if you hike up above the top of the quad where the original downhill race began.  Back in those days air travel was only for the wealthy so people who lived in the east mainly skied the east.  

Midway is also a pretty cool run. 

I remember my boys as elementary schoolers shooting in and out of all the little rabbit holes off of midway while I acted as a spotter for oncoming traffic. I always ended those runs with a “don’t tell your Mom” admonishment which always elicited smiles from them.

I love the history of east coast skiing. Meatheads “Epoch” is a must see for anyone interested in the early days of ice coast skiing!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Midway is also a pretty cool run and most of S-53 remains in the woods skiers left of liftline. 

Part of S-53 is back on the map.  Skiers right of lift line to lookout.

I've never skied the left woods of lift line.  Have to look for that next time.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Part of S-53 is back on the map.  Skiers right of lift line to lookout.

I've never skied the left woods of lift line.  Have to look for that next time.

I've skied every area of woods at Stowe from the toll road to the notch..pretty much I went to college at UVM for Stowe..I know freshman year i skied 66 days. This thread sort of makes me want to go back to Stowe..maybe in march in between ski trips when I'm bored of Blue..would have to be last minute when I know it's good conditions and lots of coverage.  As of yesterday the mount Mansfield snowstake was only at 36" and I'm sure today's rain sucked up tons of natural snow. 

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've skied every area of woods at Stowe from the toll road to the notch..pretty much I went to college at UVM for Stowe..I know freshman year i skied 66 days. This thread sort of makes me want to go back to Stowe..maybe in march in between ski trips when I'm bored of Blue..would have to be last minute when I know it's good conditions and lots of coverage.  As of yesterday the mount Mansfield snowstake was only at 36" and I'm sure today's rain sucked up tons of natural snow. 

Such a great mountain.  So many nooks and crannies.

Would love to move to Waterbury and have Stowe, MRG and Sugarbush all within 20 minutes drive.

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

Such a great mountain.  So many nooks and crannies.

Would love to move to Waterbury and have Stowe, MRG and Sugarbush all within 20 minutes drive.

I'm gonna be spending my winters in the Rockies in the next few years. I just need to save a little more money. My retirement in about 11ish years will likely be spent all over the place. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

That just sounds fucking horrible.  Why anyone would choose that when you can have a delicious juice piece of hot meat is beyond me.

Eating should be done as quickly and efficiently as possible to allow the eater to move onto other more interesting activities. As long as you don't feel hungry anymore, it does not matter what you eat. Captains Wafers are also a good choice for quick meals.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Eating should be done as quickly and efficiently as possible to allow the eater to move onto other more interesting activities. As long as you don't feel hungry anymore, it does not matter what you eat. Captains Wafers are also a good choice for quick meals.

Man. You're doing it wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1