4 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Mussels are the baloney of the sea! $14 is a lot. Regardless, he is not on the coast and mussels are one of my faves. He’s skiing Stowe and eating well. One more 1/2 gold star for NaCl-ty. My guess is Moe Ghoul vibes rubbed off on him

Wow I never really order mussels so didn't know but at my local oyster house they're actually only $9.  I just figured they were expensive like other seafood..I'm not familiar with the salt lyfe like you. 

Wow I never really order mussels so didn't know but at my local oyster house they're actually only $9.  I just figured they were expensive like other seafood..I'm not familiar with the salt lyfe like you. 

It’s cool. Make sure you get a good hunk of bread to soak up all the sauce next time (white or red)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

So that's what it's called. Brand new concept to me.

Next time you run chin clip, from the top of the bump reach waaay forward and plant your pole and drop down and do a turn around your pole. Link that and you are in business. Maybe practice from a standing stop on top and after the turn stop, take a breath and do it again.

And then stop and go play!
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tarponhead said:

Next time you run chin clip, from the top of the bump reach waaay forward and plant your pole and drop down and do a turn around your pole. Link that and you are in business. Maybe practice from a standing stop on top and after the turn stop, take a breath and do it again.

And then stop and go play!

Thanks. Great tip. That's what I was trying to do later in the day. I think that definitely helps. Skiing moguls is not easy and seems to separate the n00bs from the pros. I'll keep working on it. I'll probably be getting a pass for Blue soon so I can practice Barney the Dinosaur's bumps.

Thanks. Great tip. That's what I was trying to do later in the day. I think that definitely helps. Skiing moguls is not easy and seems to separate the n00bs from the pros. I'll keep working on it. I'll probably be getting a pass for Blue soon so I can practice Barney the Dinosaur's bumps.

This is for natural bumps and skied out glades. Zipper line on seeded bumps is a different critter
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Rotary motion. Off piste skiers do it all the time. Required technique in bumps.

Carve carve carve = no soul

More carve = more acceleration = more fun ;)

Learn to both carve and rotary/smear turns......one needs to do it all in real world skiing.

FYI....check out the trees around the chapel. Good low angle gladed terrain in there. Some entrances may be "steep" but are very short and it is worth that initial "shock".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Barneys bumps are actually named after Ryan Tuthills dog Barney..Salty you did more today than many of the PASRs did and took a lesson. I had a couple beginner lessons but never something like what you had today.  I don't have the patience for lessons I just wanna get down to the bottom as fast as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

More carve = more acceleration = more fun ;)

Learn to both carve and rotary/smear turns......one needs to do it all in real world skiing.

FYI....check out the trees around the chapel. Good low angle gladed terrain in there. Some entrances may be "steep" but are very short and it is worth that initial "shock".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who told you about those woods???

• Like 1

Seeded bumps are harder right??

Ahhhh idk. Depends what you are trying to do. Bomb the zipper line on seeded bumps , especially troughed out mofos gets real interesting fast (I originally was going to say uniform bumps but any bumper will tell you the shapes of a seeded run are not uniform). Natural bumps by definition have no uniform pattern or shape and makes it interesting to flow down. My favorites are those shark fin shaped bumps. I feel like a park rat keeping a flat ski on top before dropping down.

All good. Like pizza or sex
  • Like 1

Salty do you have any thoughts of going back to Vermont in the spring time??  I think this could be a year where we get another PASR trip to Vermont.  In 2009 it was me, dime, Johnny style and Melissa at stowe.  I stayed in the town and country resort which is similar accommodations to where you're staying. How do you like staying in a ski town old school motel compared to the typical holiday inn express??  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty do you have any thoughts of going back to Vermont in the spring time??  I think this could be a year where we get another PASR trip to Vermont.  In 2009 it was me, dime, Johnny style and Melissa at stowe.  I stayed in the town and country resort which is similar accommodations to where you're staying. How do you like staying in a ski town old school motel compared to the typical holiday inn express??  

Could be a possibility. My job is pretty lax about when I take off as long as I give them sufficient notice.

I love this hotel and actually am enjoying it a lot more than the run of the mill Holiday Inn. It's more interesting because they decorate the lobby, breakfast area, and hallways with knickknacks and ski memorabilia. Plus they have 2 giant teddy bears sitting at tables in the dining area which I lol at everytime I see them.

Thanks Root, that's a good analogy. I frequently notice my hands too far back, which is out of habit, so that's something I'm working on. I found it helpful to focus on the spot where I plan to pole plant and kind of reach out towards it. 

Keep your hands up and forward. The moment you put them down at your sides, you're transitioning you mr center of gravity rearward, hence riding on your heels.

Always keep your weight on the balls of your feet and your shins engaged with the tongue of your boot. Keeping your hands up and forward helps maintain this position.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeded bumps are harder right??

All depends on what you're looking to get out of them. If you want to zipper, they're easier, since you can get into a rhythm.

Zipperlining natural bumps, to me, is far harder as you have to make faster decisions with faster feet to maintain the speed.

25 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Could be a possibility. My job is pretty lax about when I take off as long as I give them sufficient notice.

I love this hotel and actually am enjoying it a lot more than the run of the mill Holiday Inn. It's more interesting because they decorate the lobby, breakfast area, and hallways with knickknacks and ski memorabilia. Plus they have 2 giant teddy bears sitting at tables in the dining area which I lol at everytime I see them.

Wow that's cool..I'm just happy to have a vending machine. Stowe definitely has a lot of skiing history and I believe there's a skiing museum in Stowe.  The CCC civilian conservation corps cut some of the origional ski trails and the Von Trapp family lodge is also somewhere to visit could stop in for a root beer. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, indiggio said:

All depends on what you're looking to get out of them. If you want to zipper, they're easier, since you can get into a rhythm.

Zipperlining natural bumps, to me, is far harder as you have to make faster decisions with faster feet to maintain the speed.

I like natural bumps cause you can ski all over the place..true seeded bumps you stay in one line as switching lines is reserved for the pros and the stupid 

• Like 2

Day 3: Today was another excellent day at Stowe. Pregamed before breakfast by getting the car loaded, and then had breakfast at 7:30 sharp. This time woofed down coffee, Cherrios, 2 glasses of OJ, sausage, scrambled eggs with Tabasco sauce, and a blueberry scone. Then ate a slice of bread on the walk to the car. Chewed as fast as I could and made it to Four Runner quad only 5 minutes after 8, which was fine because the line was non-existent. Guess everyone took the day off.

First run of the day was Lord to North Slope, which was much easier to ski today as it was groomed overnight. Then I headed to the gondoobie just because it's fun to ride the gondoobie. Got there at 8:20 and there were about 20 people in line who were also there just for the gondola ride. The line gradually got longer and at 8:30 I was crammed in with other 7 people which sucked. Then fellow riders started smoking MJ, which was not cool because they closed the window and I got some second hand.

My first run on Gondolier was probably the best run of my life. Since the gondola was shut down yesterday, all the powder was untracked. I skied down it like a badass playing my favorite song Hard Times by the Jetzons, and made some awesome turns in the fresh powder at a high rate of speed. Skiing next to the gondola made it an even more memorable run and got me so stoked for skiing, a feeling I hadn't had in weeks. I felt like the best skiier on the mountain. Then I skied into the gondola RFID reader with my skis on and turned into a complete gaper. Hopefully toast won't use the gaper tag on this thread as a result.

The rest of the day was a lot of fun. Made a few more runs on the gondola side, then ran Spruce trails for a while until my 10 am lesson. After the lesson and lunch at the Cliff House Restaurant, made some runs on Upper Perry Merill (???), Cliff Trail, Lower Cliff Trail, then over to 4 Runner to Lord, Ridgeview, Toll House, and Easy Mile which was lame-o! Also tried a few blacks today which weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be. Hayride was a piece of cake and would be a blue at another mountain. Upper Nosedive was full of moguls so was more challenging, but I made it down ok.

Another gaper moment was in the 4 Runner line when I had my skis pointing in a V shape to move forward, and then my left ski took out the "Alternate" sign and I fell. Took a minute to get up and the lift attendant yelled "jerry of the day". Just kidding, they are very professional at Stowe, he only thought that.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

Wow what a report.  Did you really try and ski into the gondola RFID reader??  Was hayride really like a Blue?  Easiest of the front four is liftline..it's usually groomed. Goat is very challenging from the top..much easier cutting straight left from the top of liftline which is considered the middle section. One gondola run take cliff trail over to lower nosedive from the gondola side..cliff trail is a fun run and you can play along in the woods on the right side to get small samples of tree skiing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow what a report.  Did you really try and ski into the gondola RFID reader??  Was hayride really like a Blue?  Easiest of the front four is liftline..it's usually groomed. Goat is very challenging from the top..much easier cutting straight left from the top of liftline which is considered the middle section. One gondola run take cliff trail over to lower nosedive from the gondola side..cliff trail is a fun run and you can play along in the woods on the right side to get small samples of tree skiing. 

Yes I actually did. Completely forgot that I should take my skis off before getting into the gondola line. Then after that I remembered the rest of the day. Hopefully no one saw that or they might think I'm a gaper.

I thought Hayride was pretty easy. Liftline looks tough, it's currently ungroomed, a double black, and right under the lift so everyone can point and laugh at me when I fall dramatically. Not sure I'll be doing any double blacks this time around, maybe next time.

I made the Cliff Trail/Lower Nosedive run twice I think, which was fun. Tomorrow I'll look for some glades in that area.