2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Today's just one of those days. I just want to sit in the lodge and drink coffee all day. Yesterday they practically had to restrain me at 4 pm when the lifts closed while freshies were coming down.

Then go to ben and jerrys.  If you're not mentally into the skiing call it a day. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Tried to survive on fig newtons and granola bars. Didn't work. 

Also tried glades near chapel. They started off flat and then turned into a steep drop off. Because I didn't want to die took my skis off and slid down. Glades look like so much fun but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to turn in the deep stuff. I tried walking on it but my leg sunk like 2 feet deep.

Found lots of untracked powder a few inches deep on runs near Toll House lift So I'll do 1 or 2 more runs there and then go to Ben and Jerrys for an ice cream tour.

Salty don't take your skis off. Especially in the woods.  Not safe at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty don't take your skis off. Especially in the woods.  Not safe at all. 

Ok. But Not sure what to do when I feel like I would ski straight into a tree with my skis on...??? This is why I'd prefer to be with someone experienced when skiing glades.

Edited by saltyant

3 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

So because I’m keeping score:

1) fell and yard saled while trying to walk up stairs to lodge
2) tried to ski onto gondola with skis on
3) fell while standing in lift line
4) slid on your butt while holding skis to escape glades

Did I miss anything?

Hey easy Salty rode 4700 miles on his road bike in 2017.  

5) got snow in his ski boots because he can't stand on one foot booting up.

I don't remember seeing #1...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

So because I’m keeping score:

1) fell and yard saled while trying to walk up stairs to lodge
2) tried to ski onto gondola with skis on
3) fell while standing in lift line
4) slid on your butt while holding skis to escape glades

Did I miss anything?

#1 is wrong. I was trying to walk up a hill and kept falling because it was steep. Wouldn't call it yard sailing but it was just so damn hard to get up that hill while carrying skis and poles.

#3 is also wrong. I was "skating" in the line for 4 Runner and my left ski snagged a sign so I fell. I was making the V form to move forward. The lift attendant was cool and did not even call me a gaper.

#4 is mostly true. However I threw the skis ahead of me so I didn't have to hold them and then slid down to escape Glades.

Wow what would PASR do without my daily entertainment? Is there a way to tell how many people have me on ignore??

• Haha 1

Just now, saltyant said:

#1 is wrong. I was trying to walk up a hill and kept falling because it was steep. Wouldn't call it yard sailing but it was just so damn hard to get up that hill while carrying skis and poles.

#3 is also wrong. I was "skating" in the line for 4 Runner and my left ski snagged a sign so I fell. I was making the V form to move forward. The lift attendant was cool and did not even call me a gaper.

#4 is mostly true. However I threw the skis ahead of me so I didn't have to hold them and then slid down to escape Glades.

Wow what would PASR do without my daily entertainment? Is there a way to tell how many people have me on ignore??

#1 being the hill from the parking lot to the quad lift..you put one foot in front of the other..dig your toes in a little for extra grip. 

IMG_2578.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

#1 being the hill from the parking lot to the quad lift..you put one foot in front of the other..dig your toes in a little for extra grip. 

IMG_2578.JPG

That was a rough day. Had breakfast late, missed FirstTrax, couldn't get car up hill due to snow, got stuck in slow traffic, and then as you mentioned got snow in boots. Then that damn hill made it even worse. But after that it was a good day. I started taking the stairs behind Mansfield Lodge everyday after that.

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Sally and Root and Shadows and JFDan and Indiggio this is great pure gold!!!  

Pretty sure JF Dan has me on ignore because he stopped commenting on all my threads and posts altogether lol. Shadows might have me on ignore also but once in a while he'll still post to call me a gaper. Its cool though I have some haters and some fans. Probably more haters at this point but haters gonna hate.

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

That was a rough day. Had breakfast late, missed FirstTrax, couldn't get car up hill due to snow, got stuck in slow traffic, and then as you mentioned got snow in boots. Then that damn hill made it even worse. But after that it was a good day. I started taking the stairs behind Mansfield Lodge everyday after that.

I've walked up the hill 99% of the time I skied stowe..I'd try to park right along the snow so I could ski back to my car..

• Like 1

Pretty sure JF Dan has me on ignore because he stopped commenting on all my threads and posts altogether lol

Ehramagerd I thought you and JFDern were pals.  I doubt he has you on ignore. He just doesn't post that often.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've walked up the hill 99% of the time I skied stowe..I'd try to park right along the snow so I could ski back to my car..

Wow you're in better shape than I am. I biked up Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road but walking up hill in ski boots is more difficult.

Salty and don't mind people's comments. I like reading your reports.  They're unique and shows me how different others are.  Me personally I'd probably already be in Killington by now and wouldn't have messed with spruce or toll house..or gone in the lodge for chicken wrap or coffee. Would have prob just skied ten forerunner  laps and maybe 3-4 off gondy by noon and bounced stopping at Cabot creamery on the way and perhaps a hoagie at the Moscow general store if it's still there. 

• Thanks 1

Wow you're in better shape than I am. I biked up Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road but walking up hill in ski boots is more difficult.

I'm not in good shape but I have a high threshold for pain..everyday at Jackson hole to get from bus to gondola you walk 300 yards uphill on snow or pavement in ski boots.  I don't love it but I just do it..

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

As ski boots get more packed out you have to tighten the buckles more and in choppy snow they usually need to be tighter than in groomed snow..if the perder is deep straight run until you have the desired speed then just shift your weight from left to right and make real light turns..don't even think about using your edges.  

OMG NaCL-y, I have to tighten my boots numerous times in a single ski day.  In the morning I have to tighten them, as everything is cold and the liners have expanded slightly overnight. As the outside temperature increases, the shell softens and the liners pack a bit and my body warms up and I can put more flex into them.  This can be worse, if the day starts our super cold, with an inversion and the sun hasn't come up over the ridge.

Boot buckles aren't something you set once and forget.  They don't have micro-adjustments for nothing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Glades look like so much fun but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to turn in the deep stuff. I tried walking on it but my leg sunk like 2 feet deep.

patience and not too much rotary motion with the feet/legs.

the side cut on today's skis make it super easy for the ski to turn w/o us inputting much rotary motion. here's an easy way to test it out: on a flat-ish and groomed trail, try to initiate a turn by putting most of your weight on one foot...see what happens. what you'll find is that the ski with the most weight on it will begin to turn automatically b/c of the side cut. i.e. if you weight your right foot, you will turn to the left. now, if you want a tighter radius and/or more edge grip through the turn, roll your ankles into the turn. but here's the trick.....you have to be patient and let the SKI do most of the turning instead of you twisting your feet and/or legs. THAT's the patience in the turn. it also helps to keep the skis pointed down the fall line for like a second or two to gain a little speed.....deep snow will slow you down really quickly, so you don't have to worry about getting out of control like that.

play around with these concepts on groomed terrain first to get a feel for it, then find a nice deep spot to give it a shot. :) 

Edited by guitar73
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Glades look like so much fun but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to turn in the deep stuff.

Yet again, learn to ski moguls.  Feet together, pivoting (NOT CARVING) skis simultaneously to form a platform on which to turn, which in perder, all you really need to do is shift your weight from foot to foot.  Also, view the trees as moguls and you turn past them, so you don't hit them.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1