Big Snow 10/28/23

AirheadD8

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I’ve only been during the week. Never busy. I wonder if they will stay open in the long run. 

They seem to get a consistent crowd, at least it's been that way on the weekends when I've been there.

I understand that the entire complex is not doing all that well financially.
It's probably being propped up by NJ taxpayers, as closing it down would be a big eyesore.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:54 AM, indiggio said:

They seem to get a consistent crowd, at least it's been that way on the weekends when I've been there.

It's probably being propped up by NJ taxpayers, as closing it down would be a big eyesore.

Especially as it sat empty for a decade once already

• Like 1

i remember reading an article a year ago or so saying they had enough cash on hand for like 1 month debt service.  That cant be great.  so, either they hit the lottery or they are going deeper in debt.  

Here you go.  i might shy away from buying a season pass there....lol..  not sure how you continue to operate like this.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-19/american-dream-mega-mall-lost-245-million-in-2022-filing-shows

57 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Here you go.  i might shy away from buying a season pass there....lol..  not sure how you continue to operate like this.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-19/american-dream-mega-mall-lost-245-million-in-2022-filing-shows

Yeah, it seems as though the big indoor mega-malls have gone the way of the Dodo.
Coming out of Big Snow on the weekend into the mall area, there's just not enough people to seemingly keep the place and various stores afloat.

Even walking around any mall lately, they seem pretty vacant. 
I've always been astonished by clothing stores having so much inventory to keep on hand and never seeing hardly anyone buying stuff outside the holiday season.
I can only surmise that the margins for a single piece of clothing are astronomical to keep the places open, so they need not sell much to make up for inventory, rent, personnel, etc.
if I'd be running a store and not having very much business, I'd be pulling out what little hair I have left worrying about paying the bills.

Edited by indiggio

11 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, it seems as though the big indoor mega-malls have gone the way of the Dodo.
Coming out of Big Snow on the weekend into the mall area, there's just not enough people to seemingly keep the place and various stores afloat.

I've always been astonished by clothing stores having so much inventory to keep on hand and never seeing hardly anyone buying stuff outside the holiday season.
I can only surmise that the margins for a single piece of clothing are astronomical to keep the places open, so they need not sell much to make up for inventory, rent, personnel, etc.
if I'd be running a store and not having very much business, I'd be pulling out what little hair I have left worrying about paying the bills.

The Lehigh valley mall and king of Prussia mall are doing well most most brick and mortar retail is dead. At the promenade there’s about two dozen vacancies so trying out pop up shops.  

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The Lehigh valley mall and king of Prussia mall are doing well most most brick and mortar retail is dead. At the promenade there’s about two dozen vacancies so trying out pop up shops.  

I can't remember the last time I was at the LV or KoP malls, and typically only go to L.L. Bean at the Promenade and that's maybe once a year, if that.

The only stores I really go to anymore are Home Depot, Sam's and Walmart.

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I can't remember the last time I was at the LV or KoP malls, and typically only go to L.L. Bean at the Promenade and that's maybe once a year, if that.

The only stores I really go to anymore are Home Depot, Sam's and Walmart.

Me it’s kohls and Target and I haven’t been inside the mall in years.  

31 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Could it be that the ski slope is really helping to keep the mall open?  maybe it helps boost some traffic?  i havent stepped in a mall in years.  the last time was KOP, and i was just frustrated to be there trying to get to one store to get like a special flour sifter for my SIL for Christmas.  Im not a shopper, so going to browse in a mall isnt my idea of fun.  when i was 14 going to spencers gifts buying fart spray and getting Italian Delight was kind of an every friday night thing.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Could it be that the ski slope is really helping to keep the mall open?  maybe it helps boost some traffic?  i havent stepped in a mall in years.  the last time was KOP, and i was just frustrated to be there trying to get to one store to get like a special flour sifter for my SIL for Christmas.  Im not a shopper, so going to browse in a mall isnt my idea of fun.  when i was 14 going to spencers gifts buying fart spray and getting Italian Delight was kind of an every friday night thing.  

Yes, I think the slope does help to a certain extent to bring people in.
Some of our group hit the Yard House for lunch afterwards.  Others who brought family that didn't ski walked around and probably browsed, so there is that.
I tend to think that the restaurants make out the best overall.  
In the summer when it was in the 90's it seemed like there were more people there for the AC, just hanging out.

Friday & Saturday nights at the LV mall were the place to be when we were teens. 
Dumping loads of quarters in Space Port, eating affordable meals at McD's and hanging out in Spencer's was the thing to do.
Then head over to the theater to catch whatever movie had just come out.

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Yes, I think the slope does help to a certain extent to bring people in.
Some of our group hit the Yard House for lunch afterwards.  Others who brought family that didn't ski walked around and probably browsed, so there is that.
I tend to think that the restaurants make out the best overall.  
In the summer when it was in the 90's it seemed like there were more people there for the AC, just hanging out.

Friday & Saturday nights at the LV mall were the place to be when we were teens. 
Dumping loads of quarters in Space Port, eating affordable meals at McD's and hanging out in Spencer's was the thing to do.
Then head over to the theater to catch whatever movie had just come out.

A girl from my Spanish class worked at the body shop and I’d visit her there when I had the chance…I liked Spencer’s gifts and used to go to Herman’s sporting goods and look at skis.  There’s a Lehigh valley history page on Facebook that talks about the movie theaters surrounding the mall, one was the Plaza theater at the Whitehall mall and the theater by the Lehigh valley mall opened in 1977…I wonder if it screened Saturday night fever.  They still showed the rocky horror picture there when I was in high school.  

I used to sell pogs and slammers at the old trexlertown mall which was reconverted into a shopping center.  They had a movie theater as well and for a time indoor miniature golf… @Johnny Law prob knows about Pizza Putt in south Burlington..sadly it’s closed and Burlington Vermont had one of the coolest now defunct malls off of church street which extended all the way to the back of the Hilton where @PSUFly stayed….I used to read magazines at the Waldenbooks in there no windows cause underground…Montreal has a whole underground I want to explore some day and do wanna see the mall of America in Minnesota just for shits and giggles and Minneapolis has miles of walkway connecting buildings downtown.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

A girl from my Spanish class worked at the body shop and I’d visit her there when I had the chance…I liked Spencer’s gifts and used to go to Herman’s sporting goods and look at skis.  There’s a Lehigh valley history page on Facebook that talks about the movie theaters surrounding the mall, one was the Plaza theater at the Whitehall mall and the theater by the Lehigh valley mall opened in 1977…I wonder if it screened Saturday night fever.  They still showed the rocky horror picture there when I was in high school.  

I used to sell pogs and slammers at the old trexlertown mall which was reconverted into a shopping center.  They had a movie theater as well and for a time indoor miniature golf… @Johnny Law prob knows about Pizza Putt in south Burlington..sadly it’s closed and Burlington Vermont had one of the coolest now defunct malls off of church street which extended all the way to the back of the Hilton where @PSUFly stayed….I used to read magazines at the Waldenbooks in there no windows cause underground…Montreal has a whole underground I want to explore some day and do wanna see the mall of America in Minnesota just for shits and giggles and Minneapolis has miles of walkway connecting buildings downtown.  

I have a lifetime membership card to The Body Shop in San Diego from back in the 90's.

We used to go out drinking at Stahley's and then hit the midnight Rocky Horror movie to watch the dressed up players dance in the isles.

Edited by indiggio