Buying skis online, maybe ebay? What do you think?

CO 14ers

I am looking at new Volkl Allstars for next year and found some decent deals online: $600. to $700. The local shops treat me well and I like working through them, but the price is hard to pass up. What to you think?

show your shop the price including the shipping and the cost (if any) of binding mounting and see if they will match it. Also keep in mind that you may not get much of a warranty by buying on line. Be aware of some black market products (not that is necessarily a problem with the quality) - I have seen Canandian/European products not available here in the states.

Hey, Ted, some people can't get over the fact that they had a bad experience online, while the REST OF THE WORLD buys and sells skis online everyday THOUSANDS of times.

I've bought over 100 skis on eBay and NEVER had a problem. If there's ever a question, I ask BEFORE buying. I buy for me, my family, friends, and to help out our local private ski hill.

And as you know, most skis are made in shady places like Europe....

Make sure you're buying exactly what you want...confirm the shipping price if it's not listed...buy from someone with good feedback...AND JUST GO FOR IT! If it's a regulat eBay seller, you are protected by eBay from a bad deal. If you use your credit card, then you're protected by that.

I usually pay 1/3 the price of a shop. A shop would have to have one HELL of a warranty for me to want to blow an extra $400. And I've been skiing a long, long time and NEVER had a ski fall apart.

Good luck!

We have a small ski area in our gated community. It's not much more than 120' vert, with a double chair and a J bar. It's an awesome grass ski hill, though...

that is so cool.. i think you should have psar day next year. a meet and greet type day. everyone bring something to eat and have barbeque

Ted, you know that I'm a big EBay guy, and I think it's pointless to buy in a shop. I paid $480 shipped for a pair of last years Atomic GS:11s (Race stock) w/ Race 614 bindings, both skis and bindings were brand new. I know Volkl 5 stars in the stores go for like $800. The allstars, even more. Definatly go with Ebay, save the extra $$$, and maybe save it for your next Deer Valley trip. If you buy Atomics, I mount them free for any PASR member :rock

ebay is amazing! i got a pair of race skis really cheap(NEW), my whole ski rack for like 1/4 of what i would have payed if i bought it in a shop, and a helmet that i paid 35 for and it should have been 150!i've also bought 4 or 5 pairs of bindings, it's great. just look for sellers with good feedback, and if they have negitive feed back read why, some are stupid reasons and the buyer was at fault

show your shop the price including the shipping and the cost (if any) of binding mounting and see if they will match it. Also keep in mind that you may not get much of a warranty by buying on line. Be aware of some black market products (not that is necessarily a problem with the quality) - I have seen Canandian/European products not available here in the states.

i didnt even think of that. would nestors do that?

That is usually the main way that I buy something if I can't get it through industry discounts or whatever. Many shops are more than happy to do that, the worst they can do is say no. This way you're still giving them your business, and in the process establishing a customer/shop relationship that almost always is beneficial (when you need mounts or a light tune etc...) This country was established on a barter and trade style of economy, but you wouldn't know if you looked at modern retail. If you travel to other countries, it is no problem to barter for a few dollars or cents off of an item, it is expected by the retailer. I guess many people don't realize that you can ask. I guess some people see it as rude, but you're the consumer, so what should you care?

yeah, the allstar comes with the motion binding system, which is based on a rail built into the ski that the binding mounts onto, but there is drilling involved for the piston lever arm, so its not just sliding a binding onto the ski and locking it with a pin as the motion system has been in the past. i know jeff will disagree with me on this one, since he mounts his skis himself, but, i dont trust a binding until it has been tested for accurate release. i like the reassurance of knowing that my binding will come off when it should. a few dollars for at least a binding check could end up saving you thousands in medical bills and a shortened ski season.

yeah, the allstar comes with the motion binding system, which is based on a rail built into the ski that the binding mounts onto, but there is drilling involved for the piston lever arm, so its not just sliding a binding onto the ski and locking it with a pin as the motion system has been in the past. i know jeff will disagree with me on this one, since he mounts his skis himself, but, i dont trust a binding until it has been tested for accurate release. i like the reassurance of knowing that my binding will come off when it should. a few dollars for at least a binding check could end up saving you thousands in medical bills and a shortened ski season.

I have a way to replicate a binding release check, and all bindings I mount release when they should, and when they shouldn't. Though if you don't have experience doing it, then definatly have a release check done. I can confidently mount a pair of Atomics and know for a fact, they're going to release. The atomic system is truely doug-proof. :rofl

Wow, you guys should have seen the great lengths Jeff went to test the binding release on my GS:11's...he put them on his boots, got them up to about 45mph, then crashed so hard he bounced off his head and skidded about 50 yards.

Both skis released properly.

I bet Nestors wouldn't do that for you.

Edited by ski999

i didnt even think of that. would nestors do that?

Yes nestor does it, but they draw the line on what they paid for the item. Peter Jr will not move out dated stock for prices lower than he paid for it. Even though I got a quote on the phone from a sales associate and when I go there Peter Jr would not honor the quote. Not cool.. He offered a good price but it wasn't what I expected. I ended up buying them any how.

Wow, you guys should have seen the great lengths Jeff went to test the binding release on my GS:11's...he put them on his boots, got them up to about 45mph, then crashed so hard he bounced off his head and skidded about 50 yards.

Both skis released properly.

I bet Nestors wouldn't do that for you.

And my boot is 2mm too big for your bindings :rofl I thought that after I got up, "dam, thank god those things released, that would've REALLY hurt"

And my boot is 2mm too big for your bindings :rofl I thought that after I got up, "dam, thank god those things released, that would've REALLY hurt"

you're still safe, most bindings adjust in 5mm or so increments. my brother and i have boots that are 2mm apart and we can swap skis without any problems.

Hey, I won't tell anyone what to do. I bought my Volkl's and my sons Volkl's on ebay for about 50% off of even the end of season sales at the local ski shops.

But please remember, that the local ski shops have more overhead because they have to pay for the store, the lights, heat, etc. So they aren't "ripping you off" when their prices are higher.

If you don't support them, they won't be around in the future. Then where will you go to compare prices, get advice on the right ski or board, get service, etc.

I know that there is a lot of young people on this board who don't have a lot of money and are looking for the best ride for the best price. I am too. I'm a single father who is making less money than I could because I have to take care of my kids. But do support the local shops when you can or they won't be around too much longer.

you're still safe, most bindings adjust in 5mm or so increments. my brother and i have boots that are 2mm apart and we can swap skis without any problems.

Atomic's actually adjust at 1mm invervals using a micro adjustment screw in the back, when it's flush with the housing, it's at the correct adjustment, but 2mm isn't a big difference. Any more then 3mm and it starts getting a bit snug.

Atomic's actually adjust at 1mm invervals using a micro adjustment screw in the back, when it's flush with the housing, it's at the correct adjustment, but 2mm isn't a big difference. Any more then 3mm and it starts getting a bit snug.

fair enough. i stay away from them myself. i've seen quite a few pair actually break while being tested on the huber, but i can also say the same thing for markers.

fair enough. i stay away from them myself. i've seen quite a few pair actually break while being tested on the huber, but i can also say the same thing for markers.

Good for racing, bad for freeride. Go with Look, a company thats great at both! Haha I can never see Atomic skiing anything else.

Nah, my friend is repping for Nordica and has promised excellent deals on race stock gear. I'm not going to even consider any of his gear until he gets his *ss on this MB, though.

i cant comment on any of their race stock skis, as i havent skied on any of them, but the hot rod nitrous and modified are both really really fun skis. both are a little wider than what you guys might like, but they are fun none the less. ski, if you're planning on getting a pair of dobermann boots, i wish you the best of luck. those things are painful, and i have really skinny feet too.