Sno Mountain

Ski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Rob's history, it seems he figures the more baloney he spews, the more people will take him seriously. He calls true experts incompetent, then backs off and says he's just the harbinger. Happens just as much on his fishing MB's as it does on ski MB's.

He still believes taping a kid to a chair and leaving him in a public square to be rubbed on and touched by adult strangers isn't hazing.

His goal in this thread is to attempt to upset people. When BC wants to cut a trail, did he start talking about tree huggers and how nearly impossible it'll be? He's hating on me with this bullsh*t. He hasn't seen a topo map, proposed trail map, or read any of the documents presented to the County by SMLLC. He's simply spewing negative crap.

Does Rob know whether the County had applied for and received permits for expansion in 2001? No, he doesn't know sh*t. He doesn't know whether or not extentions for renewal had been granted, or what the terms were. His only goal is to missinform and be negative about my home hill.

But it's okay, I've dealt with 3 yr olds, 4 yr olds, and Robyearolds.

He hasn't seen a topo map, proposed trail map, or read any of the documents presented to the County by SMLLC.

Do you have a link to the proposed trail map? I missed out on sno mountains TV proposal so i am kind of in the dark about all of the improvements... I'm still wondering if they are planning on moving snowtubing and if so where?

Do you have a link to the proposed trail map? I missed out on sno mountains TV proposal so i am kind of in the dark about all of the improvements... I'm still wondering if they are planning on moving snowtubing and if so where?

its on the first page of this thread. Also Snow tubing will be moved to over by the north face, next to boomer but still away from it. It will be right next to the parking lot, and a new lodge will go over there for tubers and quick acess for the north face.

its on the first page of this thread. Also Snow tubing will be moved to over by the north face, next to boomer but still away from it. It will be right next to the parking lot, and a new lodge will go over there for tubers and quick acess for the north face.

ah thanks i guess i read right over that. Well since they are moving snowtubing and putting in a magic carpet that frees up where snowtubing is now. And i think i read that they are installing a carpet for the new snowtubing? If so i'm assuming that means the tow rope won't be used? If not hopefully it will get thrown into the park that would be pretty nice..or leave it where it is, do some grading, and throw a pipe in to replace the old snowtubing area.

Ha, not so fast, Sno...according to Rob and his amazing insight into the current SMLLC agreements with the County, they may be years away from being able to build the snow tubing lodge and clearing all those tubing runs down that slope.

ah thanks i guess i read right over that. Well since they are moving snowtubing and putting in a magic carpet that frees up where snowtubing is now. And i think i read that they are installing a carpet for the new snowtubing? If so i'm assuming that means the tow rope won't be used? If not hopefully it will get thrown into the park that would be pretty nice..or leave it where it is, do some grading, and throw a pipe in to replace the old snowtubing area.

Isn't the Iron Horse lift convenient enough?

I'm just asking...I just always assumed it was. It's great to have it for NASTAR laps, although it's soooo freaking slow.

If not hopefully it will get thrown into the park that would be pretty nice..or leave it where it is, do some grading, and throw a pipe in to replace the old snowtubing area.

To my understanding thats what will be done. I was calling that one out since last season on the first day, because the park guys told us we were getting a pipe, and i told them thats were it should go.

Ok here's my 2 cents. I"m now starting to get into the civil engineering field. I'm going to PSU to get a degree in Civil Engineering, I work at a firm full time all summer and learn every aspect of this field from the ground up. I can't claim to have a huge wealth of knowledge just yet, but I definately know a decent amount.

Yes Erosion and Sedimentation control is a huge deal. I can't possibly imagine how it could take years for a control plan to be devised and approved though. Anything built anywhere needs an Erosion and Sedimentation Control plan. It is the first thing you look at when you get to a site and it is the last thing you look at before you leave. I'm on a relatively small site for now only 2.8 acres (in 2 weeks I'll be traveling around the state to 100+ acre sites). We've got slopes on both sides, a major water runoff problem and will need retaining walls. The Erosion plans (ES1 and ES2) are only 2 pages out of 42 pages of plans. The original set of plans with an approved ES1 and ES2, were approved in January of 2005. Since then There have been many changes, and work has been going on (rather slowly because the owner didn't have any money).

The fact of the matter is that we got permits for the erosion, as well as sewer, electric, cable, construction, excavation etc. in a relatively short time. This is in Wilkes-Barre Township too so everything is very controlled. I've personally seen a years worth of red tape be cut down in 5 minutes by a CivE going and talking to the governor. With a county backing it, I can't possibly see how this could turn into a huge problem. From an engineering perspective, with a great crew, this could be finished before this season. Will it? No way, SMLLC has bigger fish to fry and won't devote that energy right off the bat to a relativlely small improvement. I do believe however that it can be done for next year.

Whew, I'm kind of tired now :thud

i dont know if it will be done by next year, but the tow rope will be used for the halfpipe

Like I said I am sure the new owners know exactly what they are doing.

I am sure that the county has all the say and authority to approve what ever they want.. ha!

Schiff.. the one thing schools don't teach is the politics and diplomacy of the submission and subsequent approval process at each municipality. Small projects like 2 acres are typically simple and go quick.

Are montage's proposed trail expansions over 25 acres?

---- interesting that 2 acres is currently having huge run off problems.

the plans were approved 1/05 how long did it take to get them that approval point? I'm doing the math. 2 years from design to completion for a 2 acre improvement?

the plans were approved 1/05 how long did it take to get them that approval point? I'm doing the math. 2 years from design to completion for a 2 acre improvement?

No money?? I doubt that, I bet there was arguments over the extra billing due to the storm water run-off problems and instituting the BMP's not on the plan as mandated by periodic inspections by the LCD. Schiff - you will see soon enough when you start hitting all those projects.

As of today July 19th...has the sale been finalized? Has the county received their 5+ million dollars? Do you think it's being bought with cash by Sno ltd. or do you think they need to borrow the money for the purchase of Montage mountain?

Sale isnt complete yet. Noithing on the news yet. I called the other day and asked about pass prices, and the girl said that by the end of the month, the sale will be final, so its from now until the end of the month for it to be final.

Doug, the first time we bought a house, I got all upset that after our offer was accepted, the FOR SALE sign didn't come right down that minute. But there's a whole bunch of paperwork that needs to be collected and signed at a closing date and realtors and lawyers are incredibly casual about the days running up to closing, while it's such a huge deal for the buyers/sellers....

And, yes, if Sno Mountain feels confident that there will be no major snags---and the president said he's 100% certain every last detail is going to be worked out---they can ABSOLUTELY pay SMI and have them begin work on the order. Why the hell not? Oh, I forgot...it was just another chance for Rob to get his jollies by saying it can't happen.

Sno Mountain can also begin placing orders for new pipes and fittings.

Sno Mountain can also order new plastic season pass holders and leashes.

"All it takes is one fanatic (tree hugger) in the county conservation office to make getting approvals difficult.

The complexity becomes expotential when you are dealing with steep slopes, combine that with acres of rock along with inexperienced developers and you have the word DELAY written all over the project.

There are so many approvals needed that I am not sure that I can list them all.

Wouldn't I feel like a real ass for not letting someone know?

I just wanted you guys to have the info/ammo to make sure that the new owners hold true to thier promise of trail expansion.

I do not have engineering degrees. ...the one thing schools don't teach is the politics and diplomacy of the submission and subsequent approval process at each municipality."

Rob, do you ever reach a point where even you recognize what you do? That your post about feeling like a "real ass" should have already happened countless times? You went from going with the 'tree huggers' going to nix the deal, to so many approvals needed it boggled your mind, to admitting you don't have an engineering degree (do you have a high school diploma?) and just wing this shit for your uncle's business.

Do you know more about contract law than the president of Sno Mountain LLC?

Do you know more about engineering than the staff engineer at SMLLC?

Do you know more about architecture than the company hired by SMLLC?

Rob, what do you think the guys on a job site say about you when you walk away?

wow... you figured me out.. I am stupid and don't know nuthin, I made all those regulations up. I have no experience at all. I only do this to get under your skin. Thats the only thing I do well.

Question: When and who got the last trail expansion completed? Not Widening, that doesn't count, not connectors either. All you have to do is look at the history in PA and realize that new trails rarely happen in PA for what reason(s)?

Schiff.. the one thing schools don't teach is the politics and diplomacy of the submission and subsequent approval process at each municipality. Small projects like 2 acres are typically simple and go quick.

Understandable, yeah this current one is just a start for me, I'll be down in Quakertown for a while in a few weeks working on a big shopping center, thats when I'll really get a taste of how everything works together. Right now its easier for me to work on a small site with one thing happening at a time because when I started I was a complete n00b.

The problem lies in the fact that we're between a U-haul and a parking lot on a downslope. There is a short steep bank on the u-haul side (high side) and a more gradual one on the other. Being an empty lot for so long, most of u-haul's storm runoff just shoots out of a pipe, or gushes along over our bank. Never a problem before, but won't work well for a store on the lot.

It was solved by putting in an enormous underground system of holding pipes, and a specially designed slow release into the city's storm sewer.

I'm sorry, I'm not totally sure where I got that from, I just checked my plans and it says that final plans were completed and opened for bids on October 19, 2005.

No money?? I doubt that, I bet there was arguments over the extra billing due to the storm water run-off problems and instituting the BMP's not on the plan as mandated by periodic inspections by the LCD. Schiff - you will see soon enough when you start hitting all those projects.

I will definately learn more, I never tried to say I had all the answers, just some knowledge I've gotten in 2 months in the field. Yes it was definately a lack of money from the owner. Its a local business who is building a big new store as well as 4 commercial properties in a shopping center to be owned by the the owner. The contractor's arent' too happy now that the owner has money and they have to start working faster than they've been used to.

'dawg, 42 pages of site plans for 2 acres? Holy Shnikey!! Do you guys charge by the page or does that include building architecturals/MEP's etc?

Yeah, that includes the architectural plans etc...

so, now that ozzfest is rolling around, and the sale will be final by then, does that mean they have to rename everything associated with it? (kind of a stupid question i know) so when will they do that?

"sno pavilion at sno-mountain"

so, now that ozzfest is rolling around, and the sale will be final by then, does that mean they have to rename everything associated with it? (kind of a stupid question i know) so when will they do that?

"sno pavilion at sno-mountain"

The pavillion is separate from Sno Mountain; they didn't buy it. I'm sure Sno can confirm this, since he listened better than us at the meeting.