Latest on Montage/Sno Mountain?

snorovr

bear creeks swivel like that. I hate snowboarding on the snow thats just being made because you will be cruisin and then all of the sudden you will hit the new patch and stick.

I did that my first season at JF. I saw a pile that they were blowing on and was excited to see "deep fresh powder." Needless to say, it was like hitting a brick wall. That was the only down side of my visits to Blue last season. I went at the end of the season and they would groom the slopes, then blow a coating of fresh snow on top of it. It was ok, after being ran over a few times, but was tricky until then.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha yea I poached a trail at Mountain Creek maybe an hour after they stopped the guns (so it had a bit of time to dry) and it was really fun. I also once followed a groomer at night (I was riding close to closing, not sure how it happened to be out on an open trail during lift hours) maybe 40 feet behind it, that was probably the best snow condition you can have other than fresh real powder.

As for the fan guns, they still use air but it is usually doesn't come from the central lines, if you watch the BB video there are a bunch of compressors in there. The tower also allows it to spend more time falling, so more time freezing, so it can be made at warmer temperatures. I believe there is also a point where they can run fan/water only when its cold enough, or fan/water/air when its warmer.

http://www.snowmakers.cz/Home%20EN/EN%20Fans.HTM

After CB kept there guns on for like 36 hours on Asp, it was sweet. It wasn't powder, but there were big piles on it, all over the place, and it turned into a bump run, with no hardpack, it was a nice change...But you still can't blow powder...

But you can blow hardpack :devil:

I thought the tubing lodge and tubing runs were being installed next to WL, outside of what's currently inbounds. One of the reasons they cited for getting it off the main hill where it is now was because of liability issues---they saw skier/boarder vs. someone walking to the tubing area as an accident about to happen.

Go to the first SNO thread, the one SKI made after the meeting. Look at the trail map pics, and in the lower left hand corner you will see snowtubing which is right next to the top of boomer and runs down to were boomer and lightning meet. Now it will be over in the woods, and not touching the slopes.

Yep...thanks, SMS:

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...ost&id=1058

• 3 weeks later...

A slope is just right when you can lean over and see your reflection.

:lol Just saw that post. Bring on the urea!

now looking unrealistic.

They're convinced that they can get it done. We are at the < a month point right now till most resorts will start test firing and what not.

Don't you guys use it on the courses? Its great for jumps and lips if the snow isn't too soft.

We used 40 bags for a PA Cup at CB a few years ago...it was about 60 degrees. I think Hood uses a higher sodium-based mix to "salt" their lanes.

I imagine this stuff is a lot better for the vegatation along the slopes, though.

We used 40 bags for a PA Cup at CB a few years ago...it was about 60 degrees. I think Hood uses a higher sodium-based mix to "salt" their lanes.

I imagine this stuff is a lot better for the vegatation along the slopes, though.

I think hood uses a salt, that can also be used to 'soften' water.

I thought they were supposed to mix urea and salt if it was really warm...but either is better than neither ;)