the loft II

Shadows

sort of goes along with my original post. gonna keep it short though.

went in today to get my friends skis mounted. i listened to the conversation when they were discussing where he wants them mounted. he didnt know much. he thinks core center is "around 7" and my friend says he wants them mounted at 9. so the guy goes "ok mounted around 9, so thats like right here..."

im sure the actual tech will measure them and what not, but its a little shaky still. keep in mind that mine were mounted there - tested ok - but were crooked.

now, as for service, if we asked for help, they were right there. but me and this other kid were roaming around, looking at product, tryin stuff on for at least an hour and a half. no on asked us if we needed help.

than we sat in the boot area for around 15 minutes waiting for my friend to buy something. we finally got asked right when we were pretty much leaving.

now go visit my cb park update thread

Got some boots today. The employee helping "eyeballed" my foot size. She was a 1/2 size too big. At first I was miffed, but it's the fit of the boot rather than the number on the tag that matters. When I got back, I checked against my previous pair and they were the same, so it all worked in the end.

BTW :yes

post-60-1162262887_thumb.jpg

I hate when I go into a store to look for something and within 3 seconds somebodys asking me if I need help...I like to be left alone..and pick things out myself. I don't thing I've ever been in Nesters or Eastern Mountain Sports for more than 45 seconds without somebody coming up to me.

:werd

:werd

I hateeeeee getting pestered by people, especailly when they don't know what they are doing...Don't like going to Nestors for just that reason....

funny.................... I always greet the sales people first with a "HEY! how ya doing? Stoked that the season is almost here?" or something along those lines.

I like talking to most of the shop (or store) guys...I just don't like them trying to sell me stuff...

On the subject of retail..has anybody ever been mistaken for an employee? It's happened to me recently at Borders and the Army Navy store.

'

Happens to me allllll the time in ski stores..."haha I'm happy to help you, but just to let you know, I don't work here..."

I like talking to most of the shop (or store) guys...I just don't like them trying to sell me stuff...

do you actually buy anything, I always got the impression you buy used gear, yeah I guess I would be aggravated too if I was browsing and got approached to buy stuff that I would never buy.

Happens to me allllll the time in ski stores..."haha I'm happy to help you, but just to let you know, I don't work here..."

Haha I sold a pair of skis in my buddies shop in Seattle cuz they were so busy someone just started asking me questions. Its happened at a few other shops I've been in, including nestors. I look just like your average employee so it'll probably keep happening.

It sounds like a personal preference thing. I like people sayin hey to me and asking if they can help me out. It is definitely weird being on the receiving end of that having worked in retail for a while now.

do you actually buy anything, I always got the impression you buy used gear, yeah I guess I would be aggravated too if I was browsing and got approached to buy stuff that I would never buy.

I am cheap :lol:

And I look for good deals. Buying myself a pair of new SL skis tonight for my halloween present (Ok actully I'm just getting around to it now)...

Skidude...the PASR community wants details on these new skis...

And being cheap/thrifty...whatever is part of being a skier or rider. We know that between tickets/passes, trips, and gear it going to cost us hella money...in most cases at least a grand..$1,000 is less that 3 dollars a day. A red bull and a bag of chips..I'd love to have a case of Guinness cans right now for $38 bucks..but that money could be gas for the ride to Vermont or great meals on a ski trip...So I settle for the 10 dollar budweiser 10 ounce cans...and skip the red bull and chips at lunch..No expensive take-out..MCDoug is cooking...right now I'm preparing for a journey....the 06-07 ski season...

It's the closest I've felt to being an atronaut...make sure my shuttle(car) is serviced..Doing exercises to stretchen the core and legs...and preparing for the final countdown...because once the space shuttle is in orbit(the ski season)..things move fast...your hair suddenly is long..your car is covered in salt..and the sesame street charecter that lives in the garbage can criticizes how messy your place is...bring on the season...

I saw Nordica boots that I like in Skiing magazine..maybe they have them at the Loft..I never even heard of the place until PASR...

The guy I'm buying them from decided to tell me that there now 510 insted of 430 :banghead Eff him if he keeps that up :no

Still might be the cheapest place to get 07 race skis tho...

I think a bait and switch price raising move is a real D#ickH#ead move and Karma will be a B3itch for him.

A bricks and mortar establishment as such high fixed costs that they'll never be able to compete with an online retailer..unless they cut big-time into their profits.. I wish skiers could buy skis directly from the manufacturers..that would be the bomb deezy..

bait and switch deals like that i am pretty sure are illegal, but i'm not positive. you might wanna look into that. maybe i should have paid more attention in my personal selling class...

and doug, brick and mortar shops can compete with online retailers very easily. after shipping is accounted for, there often isnt much of a price difference on in-season gear. also, online retailers dont tune your skis, or check or mount your bindings. can we let the brick and mortar vs. online retailer thing die now? both have their place.

Papa---remember our deal???

I certainly do, but I guess you forgot as evidenced by this comment.

that they'll never be able to compete with an online retailer........................

and then still..................

The entire online vs. ski shop debate is played out..plus Justo is a nice guy and it indirectly insults him...

Play nice guys. We might have to sponsor you two on one of those Sandals couples getaways...

Ah, that just wouldn't work...Doug's not gay.

(Shop v. online: when shipping skis starts to cost over $150, then the prices will be comparable. Okay, not necessarily dead, but in remission.)

I bought skis from a ski shop in Maine, that happens to sell online. Aren't you proud of me? And I paid what I would've paid directly from Atomic (actually less, they cut me a deal on shipping) :)

more importantly, i paid less for them from a shop then i would've on ebay..

No ebay this year! :bow: