BB midnight madness report 1-14-07

bigdaddyk

Well, I sort of ate my own words from an earlier post. As I turned onto the access road about 9 pm, I had 4 cars in front of me and 2 behind me. Arriving at the lot, I was surprised to see that the lot was at least 3/4 full. There was a really good crowd of people there for the midnight session, especially considering the shitty weather. A number of employees that I spoke to also were surprised at the high turnout, even though it was raining. If it was a nice night, I'm sure the place would have been jammed. There weren't any real lift lines, but I always had two or three people in front of me and at least every two chairs had people on them. The snow was re-groomed and really soft and in good shape. I quit skiing at 1 am and got something to eat. I left at 1:40 and there was still a good number of people skiing and in the lodge. The thing that surprised me was that there were a lot of families out at that hour of the night. Hats off to BB for having a unique event. I'm sure it was a success and the next one on President's weekend should be just as good, if not better.

Edited by bigdaddyk

is it fair to count the midnight madness as two ski days..even though you only booted up once?

yes. if you went out and got soaked and skied those crapass conditions then feel free to put down two days. Should I get three since I skied all morning at Blue too?

My question to BigDaddyK is that is it fair to count the midnight madness as two ski days..even though you only booted up once? I saw it in top 10 stats and I'm not quite sure..

I listed it under two different days, because technically it was, since it was after midnight. Also, the number of days "counter" isn't completely accurate anyway. If you go to two different places in the same day, it will count them as two different days, even though you put down the same date.

Went up with niftyshifty and skipoleupmyass. It wasn't that bad. I was bitching the whole time because i was soaking head to toe. All bitching aside, it was pretty fun. I was falling all over the place in the parks, landed a handful of tricks, but whatever. I got in for 10 bucks so i can't complain. Boulder park is huge. The jumps absolutely scared the shit out of me. I hit the first one twice and ate it, but it was fun. The jibs were super smooth. We all left at 3am. Now i'm beat and i gotta work at blue from 4-8. :banghead

Awesome park setup. Boulder Park was AWESOME. Loved the jumps. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to hit all them, but then I got a good flow going off the first one and went through the next two. That last one boots you up so extremely high...probably the highest I've been ever. The wallrides were alright, but the snow up to them was beat so I couldn't get up and over like I wanted to. I also really liked the rails in Widow park. It was a really fun night, and I'm happy my dad already volunteered to take us up to the next one.

Edit: Does anyone know the exact measurements of thoses jumps?

Edited by NiftySHIFTY

Oh come on Doug don't pull that crap, your 'days' are like 4 hours long tops. If I go to Jack Frost for more hours than you go to Blue, take my boots off, go to Big Boulder and spend more hours than you do there, then drive home, I count that as one day, but it is clearly equal to two of your days since I booted up twice and equaled your hours (but only bought one lift ticket, but my lift tickets are usually free so that doesn't help with the counting). So should I get two days? Or are we putting vert minimums for a day? How many runs do I do if I hike the pipe for 6 hours? It might be a tiny bit of vert but I did a hell of a lot of snowboarding and hiking, that has to count for something. If count a few hours at the end of the day as a day, don't give him crap for doing it, or we're going to have to go by hours. But we ski at differrent speeds, so we'll have to go by vert. But a lot of green trail vert is easier than some glade vert, so lets rate the trails by difficulty and multiple it by number of runs and go by that. But wait, sometimes snow conditions differ so we'll add that rating in there somewhere - if you make it too specific, it will never end. The stats will never be perfect, and will never be a fair comparison between people. It is just a record for you individually.

I think the only clear delineation is the date.

Thus if you went for the day, the night, and then the next day, I would call that 2.

I did 28 6 hour plus days last year, and I hope to beat that this year. The weather isn't helping but I'm up to 9 full days (6 hours was the shortest, 9 the longest) already. I wouldn't compare my days to anyone elses, but thats my number and I'll compare it to myself.

Went up with niftyshifty and skipoleupmyass. It wasn't that bad. I was bitching the whole time because i was soaking head to toe. All bitching aside, it was pretty fun. I was falling all over the place in the parks, landed a handful of tricks, but whatever. I got in for 10 bucks so i can't complain. Boulder park is huge. The jumps absolutely scared the shit out of me. I hit the first one twice and ate it, but it was fun. The jibs were super smooth. We all left at 3am. Now i'm beat and i gotta work at blue from 4-8. :banghead

anyone see the guy that did the front flip and overrotate and get knocked out?

and holy shit it was cold and wet and goddamn i was soaked and i only stayed till 10

uhh im really not sure.. i heard it from someone i rode with last night, just wondering if anyone else saw it..but i think it was later?

I know that the patrolers brought a sled down Merry Widow somewhere between 10 and 11...it looked they didn't have anybody on it. I think they went over toward the west side of the mt.

remember, listing it as 2 days hurts your average vert/day :P

i personally would probably listed it as one...it's one session at a mountain.

I put in longer sessions when I was younger. I've never had a pass so I have to get the most of my day when I go. I'd go to big boulder and ski from about 10am to 8pm, with maybe 30-60 minutes for lunch/bathroom breaks. nowadays, i usually put in 5 hour days. not my fault, the people i'm with usually tire out and want to leave. i'm starting to get annoyed as they are holding me up and keeping me from skiing longer. i'm gonna head up to blue on my own a few times this year and just ski as much as i can.

Here is an edit from EC156 http://media.putfile.com/big-boulder-mlk-weekend

For the upteenth time please change that category to what it is ............ It is a VISIT not a DAY!! the fact is that the mountain closed and you had to get a separate ticket, so that counts as a separate visit.. errrrr day.. furthermore if you strap/click in and you are on the snow, so it is a visit regardless of hiking or runs or comps or silly little 2 hour visits.

remember, listing it as 2 days hurts your average vert/day :P

i personally would probably listed it as one...it's one session at a mountain.

I put in longer sessions when I was younger. I've never had a pass so I have to get the most of my day when I go. I'd go to big boulder and ski from about 10am to 8pm, with maybe 30-60 minutes for lunch/bathroom breaks. nowadays, i usually put in 5 hour days. not my fault, the people i'm with usually tire out and want to leave. i'm starting to get annoyed as they are holding me up and keeping me from skiing longer. i'm gonna head up to blue on my own a few times this year and just ski as much as i can.

I don't keep track of vert. I know that it will hurt my ave. runs / day, but I use the stats manager for my own personal records. I'm not competing against anybody for any of the categories. My reasoning is that I did 21 runs on Sunday 14th and 9 runs on Monday, 15th, since it was after midnight. To me, it was two different days that I skiied on, not two different visits. I want to keep track of the dates that I skied and how many runs I did on each date; therefore, I consider it two different dates. Besides, if I go to Blue, CB, JF, and BB all on the same date and put these all in individually (all on the same date) it will credit you for 4 days. I looked at other stats and it did this. P.S> If I end up with the most days by one, I will return the trophy.

Edited by bigdaddyk

yeah it was a good old time

super

yeah, even with the rain it was still pretty sweet. As the night progressed, it became less crowded. I think it's rained every time i've snowboarded so far.. thank god for this new temp drop, it's about time.

I can't wait to finally hit the mountain and not worry about a soggy boot afterwards.

I was there. Great time, rain wasn't too bad. And then it happened.......

Around 12:15 I was unstrapping from the bottom of Merry Widow and going to head over to Freedom. I look at the nose of my board and its completely blown out. The edge was bent out, sidewall blown, and a solid inch of base was missing. I'm freaking out now and hoping that it just happened on the wallride at the bottom and i was only on the snow for a few seconds afterwards. (I really can't think of anything else my nose would have been even close to except the wallride). So I go into the repair/rental area and confirm that my board is indeed done for the night. The guy gives me tape and I tape up the hole so no more moisture would get in. I go put the board in the car and then go back to the snow.

My friend felt bad, but didn't want to leave just yet so I said he should just go on without me. He then suggested that I go try to grab a rental board. I wasn't about to drop the cash for a rental, but maybe the people in the shop would feel bad for me. So I go in and ask as nicely as possible if I could just take out a rental for the next hour or so. The guy that hooked me up with the tape was there and a few other people. As soon as I asked this fat lady in there just started shaking her head and kept telling me I had to go and pay for a rental and then come back. The tape guy agreed. So I'm walking back out and I'm on the snow chilling and waiting for my friend to come down. A few minutes later the guy from in the shop comes out and comes up to me. He said that the fat lady was the boss so he couldn't do anything with her there, but she just left and he was going to hook me up! So I go in with him and he hooks me up real quick with a board and boots. I run out real quick so the fat lady didn't see either of us.

So I spent the second half of the night cruising around on a terrible rental, but at least it was a board. I couldn't thank the guy in the shop enough, and he referred me to Mike and Matt's to get my board fixed. The night with the rental wasn't all that bad. I didn't feel solid enough on it to try to jump, but it was really soft so I had a lot of fun on the rails. I got some funny looks when I showed up on Freedom the first time and the stupid step ins wern't working right for me. It took me entirely too long to get into them.

Mike and Matt' is a great place. My brother bought a board there last season. It was his first board and they spent so much time with him and answered all of his questions. This season he needed one of his boots remolded and they hooked him up for free. I don't know if that's standard but I thought it was nice

That happened to me more than once, it is fixable so the board is rideable again but it will never be the same. They will cut/grind out the broken crap, epoxy the edge back in, fill the area with ptex, stone grind it, wax it. Maybe a $75+ repair. The problem isn't that it wont be rideable, but that the front is going to be super fragile from now on, I broke mine once and fixed it, then when I hit it again, it just got worse and worse.

When I did it to my board I ended up just buying a new board but it was closer to the end of the season, with the cold weather coming back you won't find many great deals until end of march. If you are looking for something in particular, I can check my shop for last years stuff and I might be able to cut a sweet deal so what are you replacing?

When I did it to my board I ended up just buying a new board but it was closer to the end of the season, with the cold weather coming back you won't find many great deals until end of march. If you are looking for something in particular, I can check my shop for last years stuff and I might be able to cut a sweet deal so what are you replacing?

Thanks a lot method. I'm replacing a 2001 Burton Floater. They don't make them anymore. I'm definately in the market for a new one now. I'm looking for something that I can play with in the park, but will still hold its own in the trees and steeps. Here comes the death blow though, I wear a size 12 boot :banghead so I guess it'll have to be a wide board.