Mount Snow Improvements

Papasteeze

Peak Resorts is continuing to show that they know what they are doing. Keep an eye on Mount Snow for next season and plan to make a visit before the rest of the region figures it out. :D

Over $5 million dollars will be spent this summer to install over 150 additional fan guns. When we open for the 2008-09 season, Mount Snow will have 250+, the most new-technology fan guns on the entire continent of North America. No lie.

Fan guns are the kings (or queens) of efficiency. First, they are energy-efficient. Each gun has its own on-board air compressor, eliminating the need to pipe in air from diesel-powered compressors at the base area (we

that simply is not true, compressed air guns will always be better than fan guns at marginal temperatures

These guns blow with compressed air. I'm pretty sure that statement is correct for newer style fan guns. Plus, as mentioned, they get the water in air for longer, longer time to freeze = less lost snow. I think the compressed air gets smaller water droplets, but like I said, these have compressed air on board.

These guns blow with compressed air. I'm pretty sure that statement is correct for newer style fan guns. Plus, as mentioned, they get the water in air for longer, longer time to freeze = less lost snow. I think the compressed air gets smaller water droplets, but like I said, these have compressed air on board.

Fans also increase the ambient air temperature, while the expansion of compressed air actually cools it. Granted, evaporative cooling plays a much larger roll than the heating done by the fans, but it could still have an effect in marginal temperatures.

just saying...

Unless they find a way to give that mountain some more vert, no thanks

You list your home mountain as Bear Creek...

Even though Snow doesn't have some of the vert or steep that other places in Vermont have, its proximity and fun runs more than make up for it. My family and I used to go there and Okemo fairly often back in high school. I always dug the bump run they play music on.

You list your home mountain as Bear Creek...

Even though Snow doesn't have some of the vert or steep that other places in Vermont have, its proximity and fun runs more than make up for it. My family and I used to go there and Okemo fairly often back in high school. I always dug the bump run they play music on.

Right, so if I have to drive six hours to Snow why not add two and get some decent snow and a real mountain. Do they have some fun trails and a sick park ? Sure, but there is better skiing to be had...Hell even S. VT. has a better mountain in Magic.

Thats not to say I wouldn't go if my friends were going or in the early season but I don't really care how many more guns they put in.

Mount Snow will be the place to be in that area, for the same reasons Boulder is in this area.

You kind of have to read between the lines of that to understand what I am saying..

do you get royalties for always having your mouth firmly attached to peak resorts' balls?

Edited by jordan

so 99.9% of your posts should be regarded as spam from now on is what you are saying?

nope not all... Boulder is off the charts in stellarness. If you were there today, you would know what I was talking about. I post for the largest percentage of viewers here who never sign in and just lurk around reading the recent stuff.

I'm assuming that you mean due to the larger amount of snow produced? Otherwise, I don't see the comparison.

It will be the place to be to have fun skiing. This is the best gaper edit so far that I have seen, and guess what? It's from.... Mt Snow!

ooops here is the link:

http://www.ski-block.com/edits.html

Edited by Papasteeze

• 1 month later...
Mount Snow will be the place to be in that area, for the same reasons Boulder is in this area.

You kind of have to read between the lines of that to understand what I am saying..

To our season passholders,

Before we announce this to the public and the media, we wanted you to hear this exciting news first. Along with Peak Resorts, I am happy to announce that Mount Snow will dedicate the entire Carinthia mountain face to freestyle terrain parks when it opens for the 2008-09 season, transforming 95 acres of trails into a massive park system.

Carinthia is about to become Vermont

do you get royalties for always having your mouth firmly attached to peak resorts' balls?

hey man, as much as i get annoyed w/ papa's boulder praising...the dude's right. Boulder had the best jumps in the area this past year for sure, and the best park i skied all season was at mount snow this year and that includes park city and whistler. even though he talks it up, these resorts are killing it with the improvements they're making and they've got a younger group of guys with the mindset to keep on improving. They're taking these mountains that may not be as known for their terrain (although mt snow definitely has some fun trails outside the park) and turning peoples heads in their direction. I'm hoping to be at boulder more often next year and also making a few trips up to mt snow.

To our season passholders,

Before we announce this to the public and the media, we wanted you to hear this exciting news first. Along with Peak Resorts, I am happy to announce that Mount Snow will dedicate the entire Carinthia mountain face to freestyle terrain parks when it opens for the 2008-09 season, transforming 95 acres of trails into a massive park system.

Carinthia is about to become Vermont

• 3 months later...
so 99.9% of your posts should be regarded as spam from now on is what you are saying?

Don't read this, its SPAM..

Game on. Snowmakers are reporting for duty at 11pm tonight - fan guns will run on Launchpad if weather forecasts hold.

Comments:

You've waited long enough.

The National Weather Service says temps will drop into the mid 20s over the next two nights. And as we all learned in 2nd grade, that is below the freezing mark. Randy and the Miracle Makers are reporting for duty at 11pm tonight, and they will most likely fire up the fan guns on Launchpad in the wee hours of the morning.

And oh yes, we planned ahead. The mowing team has kept the grass on Launchpad buzzed short, so it won't take much snow to get 'er open. Remember last year, we opened a small terrain park on the Pad on October 29? We'll probably do that again.

Stay tuned in the coming days - winter is coming early.

-Luke

The Jibhonks were having fun this morning at Mount Snow and they're blowing again tonight..

Comments:

Here it is: the first snow report of the season. Snowmakers reported for duty last night and fired up the fan guns on Launch Pad just after midnight. They blew snow through daybreak and Gaitor and the Park Crew showed up around 8am, shovels in hand. It took some wheelbarrowing and strong backs, but they set up a rail, two boxes and two culvert jibs; a few dozen