Snow next week?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you're moving to Colorado..

Exactly my point, nothing is set in stone, I won't know until mid November. Thankfully the college pass at BB doesn't have an expire date incase shit falls apart. Otherwise I'm getting a Colorado Pass, maybe even an Epic if I can get it in time.

I'd rather have 25 degrees and no precipitation than 25 with, rain and snow will raise the wet bulb temp too much, and cloud cover means the air at night cools slower.

That said, I'll take 25 degrees every night for a week, and if a little snow coats the ground you waste less energy trying to seal the ground heat off from melting the subsequent snow making.

If early november stays this cold we will be skiing in PA by veterans day.

something similar to what mt snow had yesterday...just some rumors though.

I could see that happening. Mountain Creek did something similiar to that last season so it wouldn't be a stretch to see it around here. As for a real opening, last week in October or first week in November is likely.

Although shit, I just realized it is October 20th today! That is a few weeks away.

from what i've heard, thats rather unlikely. temp wise, they might be able to do it, but there are some other things holding them back.

I imagine the economics this winter are going to mean a tighter budget on snowmaking. It probably won't cut into the mid-season product much but I bet they will be less likely to blow for show and waste money here and there you know? There is no doubt people will be cutting back on their skiing this winter. Ski shops are already getting hammered, the ski resorts will be next.

I imagine the economics this winter are going to mean a tighter budget on snowmaking. It probably won't cut into the mid-season product much but I bet they will be less likely to blow for show and waste money here and there you know? There is no doubt people will be cutting back on their skiing this winter. Ski shops are already getting hammered, the ski resorts will be next.

If you haven't heard ski resorts are already getting hammered. Intrawest is in big trouble.

I've had bad dealings with Nestors.

I bought SMITH TURBO goggles there....last one in the showcase...and the lens had a one inch scratch in it

when I bought it.... exxpensive ...something like $150.

I could not find these goggles in any store in the valley. Its the kind with a blower fan defogger built into the goggles.

Nestors told me they would replace the lens for free...place the order and call me back when they got the lens.

They never called.

I've been in the store 4 times in 18 months and they told me the order was placed but not delivered.

I would never recommend Nestors to anyone after that.

They sell snowboards and skis and kayaks at prices double the ARMY NAVY STORE in Whitehall.... right up the street.

I bought 2 kayaks at the Army Navy store for the price Nestors wanted for ONE kayak.

Perhaps they only sell the top of the line products and command those prices.

I just don't see it that way.

I bought snowboard bindings and ski boots at the Army Navy store for hundreds less than

Nestors charged for the same stuff so unless Nestors gets me my goggles lens replaced I'll keep telling people

WHY I don't throw my money away at Nestors anymore.

I normally try to support the mom/pop businesses and stay away from places like DICKS and CABELLAS

but NESTORS has lost my business and anyone elses who hears my experience with doing business with them.

I've had bad dealings with Nestors.

I bought SMITH TURBO goggles there....last one in the showcase...and the lens had a one inch scratch in it

when I bought it.... exxpensive ...something like $150.

I could not find these goggles in any store in the valley. Its the kind with a blower fan defogger built into the goggles.

Nestors told me they would replace the lens for free...place the order and call me back when they got the lens.

They never called.

I've been in the store 4 times in 18 months and they told me the order was placed but not delivered.

I would never recommend Nestors to anyone after that.

They sell snowboards and skis and kayaks at prices double the ARMY NAVY STORE in Whitehall.... right up the street.

I bought 2 kayaks at the Army Navy store for the price Nestors wanted for ONE kayak.

Perhaps they only sell the top of the line products and command those prices.

I just don't see it that way.

I bought snowboard bindings and ski boots at the Army Navy store for hundreds less than

Nestors charged for the same stuff so unless Nestors gets me my goggles lens replaced I'll keep telling people

WHY I don't throw my money away at Nestors anymore.

I normally try to support the mom/pop businesses and stay away from places like DICKS and CABELLAS

but NESTORS has lost my business and anyone elses who hears my experience with doing business with them.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the goggles. I'm sure it was just a miscommunication somewhere along the line, and it's something that's getting worked out. As far as prices go, compare apples to apples. Are nestors prices really any higher for the exact same product, barring any sale that either store might be running? In season prices, for the most part, are set by the brand, not the retail outlet. If army navy is selling something cheaper, it's more than likely not the same product, is temporarily on sale, or they got a closeout deal on the product and can therefore sell it for less. Also, the level of service you get at army navy really does not come close. Good luck getting someone at army navy to do medial side expansion or custom sole canting on a pair of boots. In general, you get what you pay for, and on the odd chance that the same item is priced higher at nestors, there's a level of personal attention and service that isnt there at many other stores.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the goggles. I'm sure it was just a miscommunication somewhere along the line, and it's something that's getting worked out. As far as prices go, compare apples to apples. Are nestors prices really any higher for the exact same product, barring any sale that either store might be running? In season prices, for the most part, are set by the brand, not the retail outlet. If army navy is selling something cheaper, it's more than likely not the same product, is temporarily on sale, or they got a closeout deal on the product and can therefore sell it for less. Also, the level of service you get at army navy really does not come close. Good luck getting someone at army navy to do medial side expansion or custom sole canting on a pair of boots. In general, you get what you pay for, and on the odd chance that the same item is priced higher at nestors, there's a level of personal attention and service that isnt there at many other stores.

Exactly, you have to compare the same product from the same year when you are comparing price. The difference between this year's and last year's model is 30% at a minimum, and then when you get to brand there is a huge difference. Comparing A Kayak, to ANOTHER Kayak, who knows. Maybe one is just a hunk of shit plastic in a mold that someone thought looked good and the other is a quality plastic. If you kayak, you know that you can spend $150 for a cordura life jacket or $75 for one that feels the same but isn't actually cordura. After a season in the sun, one is going to look brand new and one will be worn to shit. Did you really get a deal? I've had the same vest for 5 years 40+ days a year and it hasn't worn out, it was definitely worth the extra money. I bought the cheaper one for my girlfriend, she used it <5 days a year for 2 years and it is showing its age already. All shops know this, the question becomes if you are the kind of shop that refuses to sell the cheap shit and so therefore your prices start out higher, or are you the kind of shop that suckers people into buying stuff that will break down? Nestors never struck me as a place that sold cheap shit or ripped people off.

Did you ever think that maybe they DID place the order and Smith is really the problem? Did you try to return the goggles and get a different pair and they wouldn't let you? I would be pissed about that, but to be honest I would never have paid for the goggles until they got the replacement lens. If I worked out that deal I would say to the store, you get the lens and when you have it I will buy the goggles plus lens. Often times the shop calls up the manufacture, they have none of the part left, and you are left holding the bag. These are small businesses with little leverage on the people they buy from, the store WANTS to keep you happy, but they can't uf you really only want the turbo goggles, no other goggles are going to satisfy you. If I were you, I would go back, get a refund or a different pair of goggles, thought at this point 18 months in I doubt it will work.

Soooooooooooo. Snow next week ehh? Looks like it may happen out here on the western side of the state (I'm in Pittsburgh right now.) but the forecast is not good for the Lehigh Valley area. The 15 day on Accuweather for the north Philly burbs looks pretty warm, into the 60's through early November.

My vision is impaired and I have not driven a car in 8 years.

I use magnifiers to read and use a 50 point font for email and web browsing. Try it some time. Its a bit slow going.

I called Nestors on the phone and asked them if they had goggles with the anti fogging fan built in and they said yes so

I took a Greyhound bus to Whitehall to make this goggle purchase.

When I got to the store they showed me these goggles and said they had only this one.

They had only that one because nobody would ever buy scratched goggles.... except me... because I already have screwed up vision and wouldn't be bothered so much by the scratched lens.

BUT

because they were so expensive they told me they would get the lens replaced for free.

Ripping me off by not making good on this lens promise was about the same as stealing from any blind man.