Blue Mt. 11-29

Tyler

k2rider and i rolled into blue today around 8. hit the snow at 8:15. only a few trails open and the grooming was typical blue mt with all the little death cookies floating around. anyway the park wasnt too bad, it was fun for a while. park crew was around a few times, but they are more worried about painting the lips blue then fixing them. we rode the park for most of the day and just messed around, went in for lunch around 12, came out and took one run and it was a zoo, then we left.

oh yeah, and this...

SDC10074.jpg

haha a real life celebrity, an everyday hero. :wub:

i'll probably be up tomorrow morning, and i probably wont go anywhere near mainstreet either. i was up tonight and conditions were pretty near the worst i've ever skied up there. it was borderline dangerous actually. i wish they would start blowing better snow sometime this decade. maybe it would give park crew something to work with instead of ice and granular crap.

why is blue's snow sooo shitty? is it the temperature or they just going for quantity over quality(is that possible, idk)? last season when i was there i felt i would have done better with ice skates at the top but i need floaties and a boogie board for the bottom...

this might be totally off but I think CB, BB, etc have much newer snowmaking technology that blue. JF uses fan guns and most of CB's guns look relatively new, whereas as Blue's guns are older than most of the people on this site

That is true and also Blue is significantly lower in elevation than either of those mountains so you can add 3-4 degrees to the temperature at any given time, which makes the conditions for snowmaking a bit wetter and you get the death cookies in abundance.

i'll probably be up tomorrow morning, and i probably wont go anywhere near mainstreet either. i was up tonight and conditions were pretty near the worst i've ever skied up there. it was borderline dangerous actually. i wish they would start blowing better snow sometime this decade. maybe it would give park crew something to work with instead of ice and granular crap.

I was up at Blue right at 8 AM. Kind of a mix of sleet and misty rain. Almost no one on the mountain. It swiftly changed to all rain. Fun times. The snow was pretty much like wet sand or mashed potatoes and was getting foggy. It started getting "crowded" around 9:30 or so (not actually because there were that many people there, but because there were only like two trails open). People in trash bags started rolling in, which is always a good look. As you would ride the lift, you would occasionally get doused with what looked like black dumpster juice coming off the cables. Watch those eyes! I rolled out at around 11, pretty bored of the same terrain, exhaused from pushing through wet cement, and covered in something which probably causes cancer.

Can I exchange my season pass now? ugh.... I need a drink, and a big one.

That is true and also Blue is significantly lower in elevation than either of those mountains so you can add 3-4 degrees to the temperature at any given time, which makes the conditions for snowmaking a bit wetter and you get the death cookies in abundance.

spring mountain and bear creek both have better conditions than blue. my local landfill had better conditions than blue during the ice storm a few years back.

ill still probobly end up going to check out that new trail. and ive heard decent things about sidewinder

That and I think they aren't properly training the people who are making snow. Sounds to me like this year they were running with too much water in the old air/water guns. If they ran the old air/water guns with too much water in marginal conditions (they only have old air/water guns on Main Street) that explains the poor snow quality, especially after grooming. Blue normally has poor snow quality in the beginning, but this year it sounds even worse then in prior years. That's why I suspect they aren't training people properly, the experienced people are slacking off, or they just rushed like hell to get open.

I will say this. There were nights I would look on the web cam and I was surprised they were making snow. When I would check nearby weather stations, it was near impossible to make snow. Snowmaking is an art. Take some inexperienced average Joe off the street and don't train them decently, you get poor snow quality.

Edited by skifreak

I was up this morning - the first one scanned in at 7:57 after picking up my season pass. I don't know what all the whining about conditions is for, they were ok until right before 10 but it was raining and foggy. lower main ALWAYS seems to have the worst snow quality, not sure if its the guns there or the way it sits in that gulley that the fog gets it?!?!? i thought the top half of main was actually pretty good and was holding up well even at 10 when i left. the bumps were fun, soft and medium/small - spent most of my 12 runs there with 3 down come around - snow seemed fine on come around and midway...gotta love skiing in the november rain

i was up yesterday from opening til about 1. i find it really sad/pathetic/absurd/retarded that the best snow conditions of the weekend were actually when it was raining. hopefully they get the snowmaking situation figured out, because a lot of people are gonna be disappointed if what mainstreet's excuse for snow ends of being mid winter conditions on the rest of the mountain. i'll chalk it up to the older guns and early opening, since skiing in november in any form is still pretty fun. the park was pretty on point yesterday while i was there though. park crew was doing a great job of maintaining everything and taking rider input on what needed to be changed. the park actually got better as the morning went on as they came through and tweaked the lips on some of the rails and the jump.