Season Updates

BC-Mark

Yesterday I finally made it out for more than a run or two and I have to say the conditions were phenomenal!

With the consistently cold temperatures and nightly snowmaking, the snow felt perfect under foot. No ice, no chatter, just well groomed packed powder that, if I closed my eyes, could have passed for a great day out west.

I hope everyone has had a chance to enjoy this cold spell and the incredible conditions. If not, get out tomorrow and take advantage!

To answer the question about competitions, we did not change insurance carriers, we are actually with the same carrier as in previous years. Our carrier does not permit us to run our own competitions. In the past we have been able to find 3rd party promoters to put on the competition and get around the insurance barrier. Last year and the year before we had EMS and USASA. This year, we have a USASA competition againg but EMS decided not to organize the rail jam series.

Hopefully next season we can get a carrier that allows us to once again host competitions. Until then, we have a few ideas but nothing solid yet.

Thanks for the info Mark the competition rumor has been floating around for a while now i was hopeing it wasnt true.

does anyone know if the usasa comp is open to skiers? its usa snowboard association but i think i remember a couple skiers being in it before...

Thanks for the info Mark the competition rumor has been floating around for a while now i was hopeing it wasnt true.

does anyone know if the usasa comp is open to skiers? its usa snowboard association but i think i remember a couple skiers being in it before...

usasa is open to skiers. in my opinion, it's not worth it unless you do the whole regional series in hopes of making it to nationals. you have to join usasa to do the comps, which is like $50 or $60, and then there's the comp fee on top of that, which if i remember correctly was $25 or $30, plub bib deposit, so expect to drop about $100 initially to do the bear comp if you're not already usasa. you'll get some of that back when you return your bib. that said, skier competition is nonexistent, and therefor it's very easy to do well, but there's no reward. you're not competing against the best, and their prizes suck. i placed top 3 in every usasa comp i did for an entire season and in total, pulled in a can of swix rub-on wax, a backpack, and a t-shirt, and the backpack i won in a raffle. if you're serious about it, and have the funds to travel to nationals and get exposure out there, and can commit to every event on the schedule (or are least place well in enough of them to lock in first place for the series) then go for it. if you just wanna do it because it's a comp at bear, it's not worth it at all.

The big propane tank is 100,000 gal. tank. We also have a 70,000 gal. heating oil tank near the loading dock. We can't get natural gas at the mountain so we use boilers to heat the entire facility. They can run on either fuel and we switch back and forth based on market price/efficiency.

We also use propane for all the cooking appliances and fireplaces in the building. Definitely not a fun bill to pay.