Season Updates

BC-Mark

The previous strategy was make as much as we can for as long as we can, right up to opening.

Missdemeanor is correct that this would sometimes lead to inconsistent and sticky conditions through the early morning until the snow had a chance to dry out a bit. On the positive side, it gave us more production on a nightly basis and you will still see us employ that strategy when we need to make huge volumes of snow to open or recover from a warm spell.

Our hope with this new approach is to have even better, more consistent conditions and fewer features in the parks buried at opening.

why not just close down cascade for a day or so and blow the shit out of it? Get some good jumps and snow in there...why all the aggravation of blowing every night having to dig out the rails and still not having the amounts needed for the jumps that will eventually go in there. same for black bear...close it for a day during the week and make tons of snow...no body is gonna miss it that much for a day when you will only be benefiting from it

Why is the cliff being removed??? I have yet to ski Bear Creek but if I ever get the chance, I want to stomp it...is the landing steep and powdery????

if you like flat icy landings then go right ahead.

the cliff would have been good if it actually had a landing on it.

can lowering the price of everything at bear creek be included in that strategy

quit bitching bring your own damn food if it bothers you that much, look at the swarms of people in the lodge, obviously it isnt that expensive nor do people have a problem paying it.

And what the hell is with park crew this year. Its by far the most pathetic showing i've seen in the last 5 seasons. Half of them seem incapable to use the rake. I'm sick of seeing the rails get horribly rutted out to the point they cant be fixed, how about jumping on them 2 hours earlier while its an easy fix up.

I didnt realize park crew was getting paid to build fucking igloos while rails 50 feet from them are getting destroyed. What a joke.

• Like 1

oh and everything you said about park crew is the truth, i was going to say something but didnt feel like being the one to say it.

x2. i was there on saturday and almost every rail had something wrong with it by 10 am, and was not touched until late afternoon. dont get me wrong theres some kids on it who actually do their jobs but others its just like what the hell do you do all day

Edited by Kyle

The point of exposing the stairs is to scare the families away from skiing down the back side and getting squashed by people who actually hit it.

I'd like to think that the crew is approachable. If you guys see a real problem with something that we don't see, please don't hesitate to go "hey! there's a problem with this". You guys are the ones paying money I encourage you to tell us what you want/don't want. And I promise when we have the snow to do a serious build on Cascade, you guys will get the 'true urban' stuff. 90% of the rails are on Black Bear which is the intermediate park so the setups have to stay intermediate.

Oh, and about the igloo lol. There were a few guys who finished their shifts and had a strange ambition to build an igloo with the snow that fell off the yurt. If it's really that big of a distraction to the guests I can have it taken down.

• Like 1

The point of exposing the stairs is to scare the families away from skiing down the back side and getting squashed by people who actually hit it.

I'd like to think that the crew is approachable. If you guys see a real problem with something that we don't see, please don't hesitate to go "hey! there's a problem with this". You guys are the ones paying money I encourage you to tell us what you want/don't want. And I promise when we have the snow to do a serious build on Cascade, you guys will get the 'true urban' stuff. 90% of the rails are on Black Bear which is the intermediate park so the setups have to stay intermediate.

Oh, and about the igloo lol. There were a few guys who finished their shifts and had a strange ambition to build an igloo with the snow that fell off the yurt. If it's really that big of a distraction to the guests I can have it taken down.

good to hear about the urban setups. not sure if there's a reason for it, but why build the pseudo urban stuff right now? those of us who like hitting urban style stuff find it weird, and for everyone else, it seems like people just ollie straight on anyway? i saw a ton of people just straight ollieing onto the downflat down. it seems like a lot of the stuff would be more fun either full on urban, or not urban at all, instead of the weird halfway thing. what seemed strangest to me is that the top of a rail would be maybe 6" higher than its really long mellow lip, tops, but as soon as you're on the rail, its 2'-3' off the ground. maybe its just me, but its a very uncomfortable feeling to almost have to keep yourself from popping at all to get onto the rail, only to be that high off the ground for what seemed like almost a ride-on lip, if that makes any sense.

complaining/suggesting aside, the candy cane was pretty fun, as was the super old 'red' rail (palmer rail maybe? the double wide flatstock thing thats been around forever since before andy was park crew mgr.) and the flatbox in the baby park was set up perfectly for learning pretty much anything. should be back up tomorrow night after work to play around a bit.

good to hear about the urban setups. not sure if there's a reason for it, but why build the pseudo urban stuff right now? those of us who like hitting urban style stuff find it weird, and for everyone else, it seems like people just ollie straight on anyway? i saw a ton of people just straight ollieing onto the downflat down. it seems like a lot of the stuff would be more fun either full on urban, or not urban at all, instead of the weird halfway thing. what seemed strangest to me is that the top of a rail would be maybe 6" higher than its really long mellow lip, tops, but as soon as you're on the rail, its 2'-3' off the ground. maybe its just me, but its a very uncomfortable feeling to almost have to keep yourself from popping at all to get onto the rail, only to be that high off the ground for what seemed like almost a ride-on lip, if that makes any sense.

complaining/suggesting aside, the candy cane was pretty fun, as was the super old 'red' rail (palmer rail maybe? the double wide flatstock thing thats been around forever since before andy was park crew mgr.) and the flatbox in the baby park was set up perfectly for learning pretty much anything. should be back up tomorrow night after work to play around a bit.

no i understand completely and feel the same way.

I like the halfpipe line with all the rails. The new flat down is sick and was amazing the first day i got to ride it.

personally id rather see the families ski down the stair cases then eating it on the wood.

Edited by Saurus

i have to say park crew was much better today. first time all year i have seen them out really doing a good job keeping the lips in good shape. I understand crowds on the weekends make it tougher than days like today but there seemed to be some motivation today, so props to them.

The candycane is set up really well down, the palmer is good as always, and the blackbear jumpline is pretty fun.

everythings pretty sick right now but i still have yet to see anyone get the middle rail on the big staircase. and the lip doesnt pop enough to get onto it IMO barely enough to land on the backside of the stairs. That feature would be so sick now that the middle up rail is gone.

Edited by MISSDEMEANOR
  • Like 1

no i understand completely and feel the same way.

I like the halfpipe line with all the rails. The new flat down is sick and was amazing the first day i got to ride it.

personally id rather see the families ski down the stair cases then eating it on the wood.

Why the sudden change of outlook Saurus?

Backing down big buck comes at you.

• Like 1

Conditions are better right now methinks than they were at their best points last year... that's kind of impressive. There's no way you guys couldn't have an 70-80" base by the time this cold spell is done (which looks like the 15th if not later.. thats a shitload of time...

I would second the complaints on the waffle pricing.. way too much for what you get.

I would second the complaints on the waffle pricing.. way too much for what you get.

The real problem is its a waffle hut not a waffle haus. In my experience the waffle haus's are infinitely better, the waffle is fresher and they know how to work with pearl sugar. The hut at bear pre-makes your waffle and then just heats it up, total bs and really destroys the waffle experience.

Seriously though how cheap does everyone want a fucking waffle to go for I mean its four fucking dollars. The lowest they could go is maybe three so whats the big deal. If a dollar is going to break your bank account than maybe you should stop eating waffles and get a job.

• Like 1