Atomic's Aspen Adventure

AtomicSkier

What a day today. I will remember Snowmass by some of the awesome terrain we skied. We arrived at johnny's secret campground entrance around 9am, and hoped on the lift at 9:15ish. The snow report was saying 2" in the morning, but on our lift ride up, it was evident there was more. We worked our way over to the poma which wasn't open yet, so we took some runs through some trees until 10am when the poma lift to the top of the mountain opened. After two runs, it was open, so we hopped on. Visibility was nonexistent and pretty much a whiteout from the snowfall. The visibility pretty much ruled out dropping into Gowdy's/AMF/Cirque, so we took the crazy ass traverse by following lolipops over to hanging valley. We hit the hanging valley wall and then down into some trees, with about 5 inches of fresh. There was nobody out skiing today, so there was fresh as far as the eye could see. We worked our way down through some steep trees and and traversed out to Alpine springs lift and then up the old ass High Alpine lift. We decided to check out some of the "extreme" terrain on the map. Our first choice was Possible but it was closed, so we skied down a few hundred yards to Baby Ruth. It was pretty obvious only one or two people had been down it, but it was so narrow it wasn't going to support too many more skiers. After the few hundred vert of steeps, we were dumped into an awesome powder field which let to more steep trees and more fresh pow. We took a break at Gywn's high alpine for lunch, and then headed out in search of KT's Gully. The best turns of the day were had after the headwall. Faceshots, steep trees, and wide open pow. It was a solid 9" with much higher accumulations in the trees. We did that another time, and by then we were both pretty beat. I'm sure I missed a run or two, but wow, awesome day of skiing in terrain that's not found at Jackson Hole. Epic.

Oh, and people bitched about no action shots, so here:

me at the top of the hanging valley

img17.jpg

baby ruth...picture is deceptive in terms of pitch. notice the angle of the trees to the snow.

img18.jpg

johnny style gettin the goods!

img19.jpg

dick deep!

img20.jpg

jstyle buttering around in hanging valley

img21.jpg

wow..that is a deep two inches..and your day 2 report was much better than day 1...what's on the agenda for tonight??? You really should roll into town with Johnny Style..but watch out for the cougars..

We went to the Woody Creek Tavern (awesome mexican) last night which is a locals place as it's kind of in the middle of a trailer park, but there have been some pretty famous people there. Today we're rolling into Aspen to eat at Little Annie's. Probably drink a few beers ;)

Little Annies...Glass of Pinot Grigio, Full Beef Stew, Apple Crisp and call it a night. This meal will give you enough fuel for AJax tomorrow. :wiggle

I was just talking to Jstyle's wife about this...I generally eat red meat when I go out as my parents cook mostly chicken and fish, so maybe I'll have some pinot noir. :nana

Today was awesome (again). We skied Ajax (Aspen) today, and after a fresh 7" fell at Aspen overnight, we were ready to track the f*ck out of the place, and we did. We opened up with a run on Walsh's which only had a few tracks and the rest was totally untracked. We then hit the Face of Bell which was freakin awesome (see action shots below). We headed over to the FIS chair to check out the former downhill course which was pretty well groomed for a quick run at mach 2. We skied a run off of Ruthie's and then worked our way over to Bell's again. We eventually skied Kristi which was the ROTD. Super steep and so soft. There wasn't any crusty stuff underneath. I'm having a hard time remembering where we skied today, but today was definately the best vert day, and we had so many deep turns in the fresh pow. We were still skiing fresh on Bell and the backside of bell at 1pm. Today was awesome, and a storm is rolling in tonight for some more freshness at Snowmass tomorrow. Enjoy.

img22.jpg

img23.jpg

img24.jpg

Bingo glades and some of the dumps were the only areas I encountered Mr Rock at AJAX. The two days I skied AJAX were powder days so not much was exposed. My core shot occurred at Snowmass on KT hammering through the lower half of the trail. Don't forget-SAM"S SMOKEHOUSE...Pulled pork sandwich and organic apple crisp for lunch tomorrow. Report back when your done :D