Atomic's Aspen Adventure

AtomicSkier

I'll be Aspen bound as of 5pm this afternoon out of Philadelphia en route to Denver, connecting on to Aspen, hopefully touching down around 9:55pm MST. As of last night, JohnnyStyle was in Salina, Kansas and should be motoring across the plains as we speak. I've never been to Aspen, so I'm pretty stoked to get there after being in Jackson Hole earlier this winter, and the prospect of some snow has the stoke market through the roof. I don't know if the purple wig will be out this trip, but I'm sure it'll be fun nevertheless. I'll be skiing four days, with a stop at Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and a repeat to one of the mountains.

Stay tuned for updates, pictures, and TR's...

I'll be Aspen bound as of 5pm this afternoon out of Philadelphia en route to Denver, connecting on to Aspen, hopefully touching down around 9:55pm MST. As of last night, JohnnyStyle was in Salina, Kansas and should be motoring across the plains as we speak. I've never been to Aspen, so I'm pretty stoked to get there after being in Jackson Hole earlier this winter, and the prospect of some snow has the stoke market through the roof. I don't know if the purple wig will be out this trip, but I'm sure it'll be fun nevertheless. I'll be skiing four days, with a stop at Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and a repeat to one of the mountains.

Stay tuned for updates, pictures, and TR's...

have fun man. looking forward to your pics.

Ok...well on to the skiing. Today it was decided that we were going to hit Aspen Highlands and hike the Highlands bowl. After a kickass breakfast in town, we headed over to Highlands, and after a delay getting my ticket, we were on our way and headed straight to the Highlands Bowl. After a 1 cat wait, we took the cat up to the start of the "real" hike, and got on our way. It was the perfect day for it. Not a cloud in the sky to start, but as you'll see, a storm starting rolling in really quickly. It was 50 degrees about 10 minutes ago, but now he's puking here at Jstyle's house. The highlands bowl took it out of both of us, but the hike up (for me at least :nana ) was a piece of cake and even got some comments from some people on my pace. The expression on their faces when I said I was from PA and landed last night was priceless. We got some food after doing highlands, skied a few more runs and then called it a day. Skiing highlands bowl was awesome and something every skier should do. The work that goes into that bowl to get it skiable is amazing. They have hundreds of people bootpack it in November and December (for free season passes) to ensure the safety of everyone. The line we took had a maximum pitch of 43 degrees with an average of around 37 degrees.

Walked out of the garage this morning to this awesome view.

img2.jpg

What we were about to undertake...the highest peak is our destination

img5.jpg

Our ride to the top (well, this picture was taken at the top)

img4.jpg

Me waiting for the cat...

img12.jpg

JStyle all ready to begin the ascent...

img14.jpg

And me...

img13.jpg

Beginning the hike...doesn't look too bad.

img6.jpg

Jstyle smiling...enjoying the view

img7.jpg

Nice view off the backside...watch your step :)

img8.jpg

are we there yet?

img9.jpg

yes...yes we are :)

img15.jpg

oh hello there.

img16.jpg

johnny takin in the view after skiing Highland's bowl...wow...from the bottom it looks huge. Some awesome turns were had on the way down. Sorry for no pictures, but the light was getting so flat because of the storm it was time to get back to the lift. you can see the sheer size of the bowl by the little dots (people).

img11.jpg

Breathtaking photos! Amazing, living the dream!

I love evergreens, there's something about being surrounded by evergreens when skiing/riding that adds that special something to it, don't know what it is. I think that's the main reason I fell in love with Jay Peak a few years back, they seem to have the most evergreens.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Snow was windbuffed pow. Definately worth the investment in time. It'd be a waste for me to come out here and not hike what highlands is famous for.

A+

I've tried to be more lenient in what I consider good posts but to be honest lots of tr's here just plain suck, this however delivers.

Killer work and the pictures were nice too.