Atomic's Aspen Adventure

AtomicSkier

Hello everybody. Some of you may have wondered why I remained silent during Jeff's trip. The one post in this thread is by my wife under my user name.

Mainly, I just can't top Jeff's TRs. He nailed it every time. My goal was to give Jeff a quick four day survey of the valley. Obviously that is impossible to do, but at least I was able to show him some of my personal favorite haunts. There is a reason our family chose this valley as a home and I just wanted to share some of that with Jeff. I think he got it, and some of it may have rubbed off on him. I often use the term magical when describing Aspen/Snowmass and I hope Jeff was able to feel some of that magic while he was out here. I know I did.

I hope these trip reports motivate you to go find some of the Aspen magic yourself.

Crappy quality pictures because they got washed out by the sun and my macro mode shoots in shitty quality, but here is me ripping a turn on the former "america's downhill" course, now claimed by Beaver Creek. Not bad for 105mm waist skis.

Macro? Wrong term perhaps? Macro is for closeups.

Well, I made it home safely last night. My take off from Aspen didn't have perfect visibility, but I grabbed a view of the take off (no sound, I think i had my headphones plugged in), and managed to snap a overhead shot of Johnny's valley and his house.

johnnyvalley.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4NpzxC-m84

Nice.

FWIW today is absolutely bluebird, heading up in a few. I wish you had one of these days while you were out here but I know you won't be complaining about all that powder either.

Don't worry, Sunday was sunny enough for me :) I got a nice goggle tan going from the sun we had. Enjoy.

looking back at the pic of jstyles view from his house... ive cleaned some windows up in that neck of the woods. living it up for sure.

hey johnny... if youre gonna be up there for a while im coming back out on the 28th i believe if you want to do another aspen adventure.

looking back at the pic of jstyles view from his house... ive cleaned some windows up in that neck of the woods. living it up for sure.

hey johnny... if youre gonna be up there for a while im coming back out on the 28th i believe if you want to do another aspen adventure.

Are you implying that you want to stay at his place? Doug has already warned him about you :yes

Having watched these events live, many people crash and burn and are carted off in the patrolers sled while screaming in pain. The winners are truly insane. The gnarliest line of the day wins the sickbird award. I forgot to mention that this is all inbounds stuff.

Edited by Johnny Style

Wow thats freaking awesome. Thanks for the photos. I've never skied in CO, skied Utah a ton, and pretty much wrote CO off after all the 'bros' I've talked to who have skied both. Everyone talks UT up for having way bigger lines and CO having basically nothing big mountain wise. People I talk to always talk about CO as being groomerland. Those photos are exactly what I needed to see.

Wow thats freaking awesome. Thanks for the photos. I've never skied in CO, skied Utah a ton, and pretty much wrote CO off after all the 'bros' I've talked to who have skied both. Everyone talks UT up for having way bigger lines and CO having basically nothing big mountain wise. People I talk to always talk about CO as being groomerland. Those photos are exactly what I needed to see.

You need to get some new friends :nana I think the part that I like so much about aspen is that 99% of the people stick to the groomers, unlike at most the places. Never at JH or Alta would you have even a trail that is 1/2 groomed, 1/2 ungroomed, and the ungroomed still has fresh at 1pm. People just refuse to ski powder, period. As you can see from our pictures, there is never anyone else in the background, and at Ajax, those pow shots were right underneath the lift, and still, we couldn't see anyone skiing in the area. Hiking the Highlands Bowl is the real deal, and with a max pitch around 46 degrees and the average pitch of the bowl is in the high 30's, that is some legit skiing. Or, hop into Gowdy's for 50 degrees. If not for JohnnyStyle, I may have never visited Aspen/Snowmass because of its reputation, but I am sure glad I did. :yes

Here you go GSS, Brad Holmes from 1999's MSP film Global Storming and Shane McConkey's response from 2000s There's Something about McConkey. They synch is off and Holmes has a better rap from Ski Movie I, but you get the idea.

That's Right...I'm cocky as hell, and if you want to talk smack I'll ring your bell.

So fools don't give me a reason, to come to your mountain and school you next season!

for real trevor... CO is pretty much the same skiing as utah if not better, you just got to look for it.

you dont remember some of glenns pics at WP? ive skied some of the craziest shit there.

Haha yea, when I showed myself around WP I was kind of like "this is fun but its not crazy", and then I started riding with glenn.