This site makes me depressed

Nidecker

Man this site really goes down the shitters during the off season laugh.gif I haven't had the oppertunity to be a member at this point of the year. When I joined people were starting to get ready for the 09 season. How's everyone doing since there is no more Skiing/Boarding? I heard out west they ride sand dunes... seriously.. wouldn't want to wipe out though it would be like taking 80 grit sand paper to your face icon_smile_banghead.gif

On another note who's joing mayday? ME ME MEEEE!

Actually can a mod be nice and move this to the lounge.. dumbass me posted in the wrong thred icon_smile_banghead.gif

Every year this site gets less and less active both during the ski season and in the off season. Since I joined 4.5 years ago alot of regular posters quit skiing or stopped posting and we've only had a few new active posters. Yeah now that ski season over I pretty much just smoke pot, work and go parking lot pimping. I have been workin out a little but it's not the same as going to Blue the true and getting scanned in by one of the security professionals. Only 7 more months till ski season!!!

Working ticket check was as easy as scratching your tesicals and for a free pass.... please ill do that anyday of the week.... although you would not believe the idiots that ask some of the most retarded questions!!!!

Excuse me sir is that the "quad six pack" pointing at the six pack..... wtf?

Hi, have you seen my brother?

How far do you think I can see in this fog?

What lodge is this?

my sister is stuck on raceway how long do you think it will take for her to get down?

is the big air bag really full of air?

I can keep going! i never knew so many idioits existed!

EDIT: haha

Does that lift go all the way to the top?

Is it snowing up there?

Are all the trails covered in snow?

Edited by Nidecker25

Working ticket check was as easy as scratching your tesicals and for a free pass.... please ill do that anyday of the week.... although you would not believe the idiots that ask some of the most retarded questions!!!!

Excuse me sir is that the "quad six pack" pointing at the six pack..... wtf?

Hi, have you seen my brother?

How far do you think I can see in this fog?

What lodge is this?

my sister is stuck on raceway how long do you think it will take for her to get down?

is the big air bag really full of air?

I can keep going! i never knew so many idioits existed!

EDIT: haha

Does that lift go all the way to the top?

Is it snowing up there?

Are all the trails covered in snow?

Do you know where the Valley Summit is?

...it's really up to the admins to market this site and ThinkSnow Greg only really skis a few days a year and Atomic Jeff moves onto golf and group car washes once ski season is over..if I was ever on staff..I would send all the members PMs to remind them about PASR and get them posting again!!!

IMO, lack of moderation, on line fights, immaturity, and the vulgarity that has become common is what killed the site.

• Like 4

Well, I think there is a point hidden there. The site is heavily tilted towards BOTH an age group AND a geographic area. The other named sites are more diverse. Once stuff drifted too much towards general discussion of Doug's eating habits or whatever and away from trip reports or discussion of ski-related issues, or mindless bickering started taking over, you lost any chance at being considered as a "resource" for skiers.

What you SHOULD be is a resource for people skiing in the mid-Atlantic region, either for meeting or for questions about the areas. You CAN"T compete as a resource for information about SKIING OR BOARDING in general. I think that the owner, whoever that may be these days, needs to focus on the goal here and start tweaking forums and discussions towards the goal if the site is to have viability. Right now it's just hanging on due to the affection of some of the longer term members. From where I sit, you are on "life support".

I miss his passion and his photography..but he took flame wars too far. I always found the Papasteeze and the Ski999 flame wars to be amusing. When I first joined PASR I used to get into stupid arguments and was competitive about getting the most vert but I'm trying to become a steezier Grilled Steeze Sandwich which also means you'll be less likely to see 50 posts a day from me..unless we get a Blizzard. What a drag it is getting older... :huh:

I agree with you about the flame war part, but his skiing knowledge and helpfulness about the area were valuable.

and I don't believe you about the posting until I see it happen. It's like your diets.

I agree the trip reports have been great this year. And I enjoy seeing them. But clearly this site is more social than anything else these days. Hence, the most valuable content is not even about the site's own title. Unless of course, you consider what everyone is doing this weekend valuable to anyone else. Frankly, that is the stuff of Facebook and Twitter-twatter, hence the loss of activity here.

But let's think about what the POINT of a PA Ski and Ride site SHOULD be. Why would NEW PEOPLE come here? To read about trips to Jackson and Aspen? I don't think so. If so, maybe the site should be renamed "Ski and Ride", get rid of the PA part. I think that if the site owners want to stay viable in the future they need to focus on how to differentiate themselves from TGR, AlpineZone, Facebook, and other places. Theoretically, you should be differentiated by offering resources for mid-Atlantic skiers and boarders to meet, exchange rides, ask about conditions, whatever. I think you need to promote this more.

This is the kind of thing us old guys think about when we analyze things. You know, "what is our mission?", "why is there air?", whatever.....

• Like 2

immaturity has really had an effect on it. and unfortunately, its from the people who are "mature" and not the highschoolers....

There were certainly at least three "adults" who should have known better, but beyond that, I don't know the ages of many of the remaining idiots who continue to sling mud around on this board. I know this site was founded to avoid the moderation that was going on the Camelback message board, but that was corporate censorship of stuff critical of the resort. However, moderation of silly name calling threads would go a long way to ensuring there is "value added" instead of drivel. Who wants to wade thru all of that when there are plenty of competing ski forums out there already?

If everyone would just take a deep breath and decide whether there's really a "value add" before they post something here, EVEN IF YOU'RE 12 YEARS OLD, this site would improve. If you have nothing to say worth hearing, then shut up or tell the clothes in your closet.

• Like 1

I agree the trip reports have been great this year. And I enjoy seeing them. But clearly this site is more social than anything else these days. Hence, the most valuable content is not even about the site's own title. Unless of course, you consider what everyone is doing this weekend valuable to anyone else. Frankly, that is the stuff of Facebook and Twitter-twatter, hence the loss of activity here.

But let's think about what the POINT of a PA Ski and Ride site SHOULD be. Why would NEW PEOPLE come here? To read about trips to Jackson and Aspen? I don't think so. If so, maybe the site should be renamed "Ski and Ride", get rid of the PA part. I think that if the site owners want to stay viable in the future they need to focus on how to differentiate themselves from TGR, AlpineZone, Facebook, and other places. Theoretically, you should be differentiated by offering resources for mid-Atlantic skiers and boarders to meet, exchange rides, ask about conditions, whatever. I think you need to promote this more.

This is the kind of thing us old guys think about when we analyze things. You know, "what is our mission?", "why is there air?", whatever.....

I would have to agree with this.

I'm kind of torn here. I also get annoyed with some of the ridiculous stuff that gets posted on here. There's bickering and flame wars on every message board I've seen or been apart of but some of the stuff here takes the cake. I hate the fact that lots of people who once contributed to this place are now gone or rarely post.

On the other hand, I've thought about not posting on PASR a time or two in the past, but looking back that would have been stupid. Where else can you find this many people who make Pocono ski areas their home Mts.? Not much of that on AZ, Epic or TGR. I have resigned myself to simply weeding though some of the nonsense to get to the valuable stuff (TR's, etc.). And there can be plenty of good reads, especially during ski season. I've also met and skied with a bunch of really cool people because of PASR. I've even met people that I now consider good friends solely because of PASR. And of course PASR days are always some of the funnest days of the season.

Bottom line is, we need more of this...

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/topic/15314-jack-frost-2-27-10/

And less of this...

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/topic/14671-it-was-fun-while-it-lasted/

Edited by PA Ridge Racer
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I would have been the worst RA ever... I don't think I would enforce anything unless it was a serious safety violation... I'm sure I could figure it out, I just know I'll fuck it up the first couple times lol... I was a business student Jeff... We are held to different standards... You know that...

I got me a camera this year and I plan on taking detailed pics of TRs... Hopefully AJeff can explain how to embed so I don't football bat it...

It's amazing how you've degenerated from computer nerd in high school to a computer illiterate old man. You should sign up for some lessons at a senior center or something. Lol

• Like 1

Hey guys...Well, I am admittedly a seasonal member of this forum...but hey, it is a forum devoted to skiing and boarding so..... Regardless of that, I personally am going to make an attempt to get TR's on here everytime I get out somewhere. I agree with the majority on this thread, that the forum is a bit overrun with shenaniganry (new word) and flame wars. The topic of new members could be solved with something as simple as business cards. I am a member of a car forum 8thCivic.com, and it is a huge community with tons of knowledge. I ordered a sticker, and they sent me a bunch of business cards with a little blank box for "membername". I stuck said cards in windows of sweet 8th gen civics, and just about every single one pm'd me and said they joined or they were already a member. Just throwing that out there. I realize that a car forum for one of the most popular cars in the country and a forum for PA skiers aren't really on the same plane, but there seem to be at times a lot of useless posts on here that have absolutely nothing to do with skiing or riding, or PA.