Belleayre

OutCold

I honestly don't remember the last time they actually hit their projected opening... Maybe 3 years ago? Unless I am mistaken, the trail in the Pic of the Day looks like the one they were making snow on... If thats the case, it doesn't look like any of the snow they made last week stuck around... Its a shame, but whats a couple thousand more dollars added onto the top of the NY state budget deficit?

I honestly don't remember the last time they actually hit their projected opening... Maybe 3 years ago? Unless I am mistaken, the trail in the Pic of the Day looks like the one they were making snow on... If thats the case, it doesn't look like any of the snow they made last week stuck around... Its a shame, but whats a couple thousand more dollars added onto the top of the NY state budget deficit?

I am assuming the state run ski areas (Gore, teh face, and Bell) have budgets set aside for snowmaking. So its not like they are continuously sucking money from the state each time they blow. lol I said suck and blow in the same sentence.

If a ski area has a 6 hour snowmaking window before a week of warmth..they are wasting money blowing snow....doesn't matter to me..I'm not a NY state resident..

Well: 11/11/10 Better call up Brenton Woods and tell them to shut those snow guns down...

PB109025.jpg

• Like 1

I doubt it will be spared... Long range forecasts show good temps resuming next Thursday night... That gives them a week to get some expansion? I think SR and K-Mart can pull out 10 trails T2B, but my guess is that it will be a stretch for other resorts... I wouldn't put some wildcards out of it, but it would be a stretch to say that any variety will be possible... Think snow...

Did Belleayre make any snow during this last cold stretch? They are having budget issues and just shrank their full time workforce from 55 full time to 10ish, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had waited... I just can't seem to get any confirmation either way... Hunter waited... I was surprised considering a Thanksgiving opening would be a bonus holiday for them and usually sees decent skier visits...

I haven't seen any evidence of snowmaking on their website or anything. They're most likely holding off til right after Thanksgiving when the true cold snap sets in. Let me know when you want to go up to the 'skills. I'm down for a jaunt up there one of these weekends.

This is serious shit, they have proposed cutting 45 of the 55 full time workers at the Bell. http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/blogs.detail/display/942/List-of-DEC-positions-scheduled-to-be-cut.html

Some of these people can choose early retirement and some can choose to take a lower paying no benefits position but bottom line is NY state is broke and people at Bell are getting the axe.

With all these full time operators getting canned I'm sure there not thinking about making sure the public knows when they are going to blow snow, additionally I'm sure there is a chance that they may not open or be in just a weekend mode.

Lot of politics on his - http://online.wsj.com/article/AP1b7fb19d2496453bb564d9ec85d4aca4.html so I'm sure some of this is just bs posturing but its a fucked up situation for sure.

Beast riders check out Platekill, great mtn.

This is serious shit, they have proposed cutting 45 of the 55 full time workers at the Bell. http://www.adirondac...-to-be-cut.html

Some of these people can choose early retirement and some can choose to take a lower paying no benefits position but bottom line is NY state is broke and people at Bell are getting the axe.

With all these full time operators getting canned I'm sure there not thinking about making sure the public knows when they are going to blow snow, additionally I'm sure there is a chance that they may not open or be in just a weekend mode.

Lot of politics on his - http://online.wsj.co...ec85d4aca4.html so I'm sure some of this is just bs posturing but its a fucked up situation for sure.

Beast riders check out Platekill, great mtn.

Huge thread on AlpineZone about this. Sounds like they might have been a little over-staffed. How many full-time (with benefits) employees does Blue or Camelback have?

Yeah, the lodging sucks... I think I posted earlier in another thread that they were cutting all these jobs... The bottom line is that they started blowing (wasting taxpayer money) several weeks ago... I am sure that this job cut idea didn't hit them blindsided up the head... At least the management... I am sure they will blow and be open for most of the season... I just want updates!!!