MLK Day: Best conditions yet this year

indiggio

Unbelievably cold morning to start the day off at 9 degrees, no wind, dry air. Cool valley clouds coming down mountain road to lot.

They're blowing snow mad on bottom and full-tilt on Challenge, Sidewinder, Central Park and Finish Line.

Snow was the best that it's been at Blue so far this year, IMHO.

They finally opened up Nightmare and Dreamweaver about 9:45 after finish grooming shortly before. As expected, lots of chunks, marbles, ditches, etc., but it was breaking up fast with the crowds hitting it pretty hard. It started to become a pinball run about an hour after it opened.

Lines at both the six and quad weren't too bad at all, at most a 2-3 minute wait. The six lines were shorter than the quad.

We'll probably see Challenge open tomorrow or Wed as they've got nice deep wells on it. With any luck, we may see Sidewinder by the weekend!

just throwing this out there, but i'd say there's near 0% chance sidewinder will open this weekend. they blew on it what, 24 hours now? no snowmaking tonight or tomorrow. we probably won't see snowmaking temps til wednesday night. judging by past experiences there, and how this season's been going, sidewinder is probably going to be a more or less once and done build for the season. it's not like bear where things get switched up every week or two. everything on sidewinder is much bigger, for the most part, and takes a shit ton of snow to set up properly. i doubt they'd rush to get it open with a smaller feature set, and to make 30 and 40 foot jumps, you need an epic crapload of snow; a lot more than they'd be able to make in 48 hours of snowmaking, with some rain thrown in for good measure tomorrow. believe me, i would love if they opened sidewinder saturday with a full build, but i really doubt it's gonna happen, and i'd rather wait a few more days for something of better quality.

just throwing this out there, but i'd say there's near 0% chance sidewinder will open this weekend. they blew on it what, 24 hours now? no snowmaking tonight or tomorrow. we probably won't see snowmaking temps til wednesday night. judging by past experiences there, and how this season's been going, sidewinder is probably going to be a more or less once and done build for the season. it's not like bear where things get switched up every week or two. everything on sidewinder is much bigger, for the most part, and takes a shit ton of snow to set up properly. i doubt they'd rush to get it open with a smaller feature set, and to make 30 and 40 foot jumps, you need an epic crapload of snow; a lot more than they'd be able to make in 48 hours of snowmaking, with some rain thrown in for good measure tomorrow. believe me, i would love if they opened sidewinder saturday with a full build, but i really doubt it's gonna happen, and i'd rather wait a few more days for something of better quality.

Epic crapload of snow, great quote.

Oh yeah, I totally agree that it requires "an epic crapload of snow" and I'm not one that's even begging for it to be open. Frankly, I'd rather have Challenge and Switchback open! :)

I'm just thinking that because Blue gets pestered so much, by so many to get it open, they may just do the minimum they need to get it open, just to say it's open.

Pure speculation on my part.

Sidewinder is definitely my favorite trail but it makes sense to get everything else open first. From a business perspective, the holiday crowds are where the money comes from, not a bunch of kids that dress like they can't afford properly fitting clothes. haha but like Justo said Id rather wait an extra week rather than have a terrible park the rest of the season.

I don't ride blue often if at all but i completley agree with blue on just blowing the Fuck out of sidewinder and opening it with a solid park build. Bears doing that now with cascade and your premier park should be something you take your time on, not something you rush.