Blivers

Dude I'm glad you're able to write off Pennsylvania all together and ski bigger hills. I'm happy for anyone that can pull that off. But not everyone has that luxury bro so "just fuckin move away" isn't always an option. I don't think any one of us who lives in PA and skis Bear Creek, Blue or whatever and loves this sport chooses to live here for the amazing skiing. Some of us have reasons that keep us here - important reasons like kids. For me, at least until my kids get older and I can move to the Salt Lake Valley, I'll continue to get stoked on the elevator, tunkhannok or challenge glade or whatever with a trip to a real mountain once or twice a year to stay sane.

Tunkhannock.... damn good slope. There was so much snow on that pitch at the end of the season i swear you coulda skied that another month after they closed. I was up there the last day and it was epic as usual. I'd put Sno's White Lightning up there if they coul dkeep good bumps on it.

x2

I've had the good fortune to go all over this rock and when its all said and done, when you make the calculation based on all factors I choose shitty Reading, PA. LOL

Pa is actually a pretty great place, best beer selection in America, I spend all summer at the beach, all winter skiing, lots of jobs with decent pay, dutchy food and the real big dog, excellent hard pretzels.

Mmmm... Pretzels (with mustard or peanut butter) and beer!

Man BC sucks and management doesn't give a fuck about the mountain!

"It looks like our next snowmaking window arrives on Saturday. We will be putting all our guns to work in hopes of opening by Christmas. The window looks brief and the temperatures are going to be fairly marginal during the majority of the cold snap.
Our system was originally built to open 90% of the mountain with 120 hours of snowmaking at 25F Wet Bulb temperatures. This was viewed as a aggressive approach to snowmaking that should serve us well in moderate temperatures. The 2006/2007 season redefined the worst case scenario for a warm winter. As a result we upgraded the system to open 100% of the mountain in 85 to 90 hours of snowmaking at 27F wet bulb. The 2011/2012 season again redefined worst case scenario so we upgraded 21 snow guns to further boost production in marginal temperatures and further decrease the number of hours required to open.
This December has followed a similar trend to last year and the snowmaking windows we have been presented have been miniscule. As we approach this next window we spent $100,000 this morning to add 6 new guns to our fleet and and give us the best opportunity to open some terrain by Christmas. The guns will arrive in time for Saturday snowmaking and hopefully will be just what we need to make the holidays white!
Keep your fingers crossed and think cold thoughts!"
Edited by burton71
  • Like 2

6 new guns will change the weather

No, but it's extra firepower in marginal temps when guns are basically at half production. Basically it's a 100g gamble. But hey it's ear creeks money not mine so if they want to go out and drop thousands of dollars on stuff so be it.

Wonder what type of guns exactly? Would have to guess they are portables, it would be dumb not to buy something you can put where most needed. Good for them, smart investment. 100g isn't much in the scheme of things. The news reports last year said they lost $2m before new years and $6m overall last winter. Maybe this will get 'em open.

They can drop 100k at the last minute for fan guns but there's no room in the budget for cheese fries with bacon? That's horse shit.

I'll start there soon enough........I'll get to floodin the suggestion box ASAP. Also, if they're so dang hoity toity maybe we can get em to put poutine on the menu or app list for the bar.

Viva La Cholesterol!!!!

I'll start there soon enough........I'll get to floodin the suggestion box ASAP. Also, if they're so dang hoity toity maybe we can get em to put poutine on the menu or app list for the bar.

Viva La Cholesterol!!!!

From the bar menu at the Grille.
American "Poutine"

gravy fries with cheddar cheese

• Like 1

You can order those without the gravy and you have cheese frys so there you go all your complaints about no cheese frys were uncalled for and under $6 is a bargain.

Nah, these are different. They are still good, just different. The bucket of cheese fries was just epic in both flavor and proportion. It took quite the man to take down a bucket on his own.

Temps didnt cooperate last night. It was hovering around 34 degrees at midnight in kutztown. I'd rather see them push for a 26/27th opening rather than Christmas. It would probably work out in their favor as ticket sales would be almost non existent.