Loon 1-3-13

Ride Delaware ?

So today, as a little change of pace, the lady friend and I decided to use our New England Pass and head over to Loon for a half day or so. We left the SR area about 7:15 and headed west toward New Hampshire. The theme today was cold weather. It was a balmy 1 degree in Bethel, but as we headed west, it began to drop. Just east of Franconia Notch I recorded the lowest temperature I have ever seen firsthand:

EFBAB735-1636-49CF-BB22-B70A7162FBCB-155

We arrived at Loon around 8:40 to -2 degree temps, and were surprised to see how quickly the lot was filling up. We decided to skip the PLB due to the temps, and headed into the lodge since they have sweet cubby spaces to store your gear. We headed to the Gondola and scored a cabin to ourselves. The greeting board was very informative and helpful:

F6678A0E-C3D2-4A42-A56D-FB5FE7852C63-155

Once we got to the top, we headed down to the Tote Road Quad and headed over to South Peak. We proceeded to hit Boom Run, Upper Twitcher, Jobber, and Cruiser. Snow was super dry and grippy, but there was full coverage on the groomers and very little traffic:

197CCAC0-C3B1-45A3-83B1-3CECD83F0A04-155

We then headed back over the Tote Road Quad and headed back down to the gondola. The parking lot was full by this time, and the line at the Gondola was getting to be crazy long since nobody wanted to be outside on the lifts today. We decided to hit the Seven Brother Lift, an old triple, to get us out of the base:

2D505005-A86F-4AA9-989F-CA407136CD2A-155

We then headed over to the North Peak Express where we were greeted by another awesome greeting board:

D29EB456-F0EF-47C6-B6BE-E75B6F66CC0F-155

After hitting Flume which was half groomer, half bumps, and mostly icy, we hit up the Camp III lodge at the base of the North Peak Express to get warm. After a 20 minute warming session, we hit up Walking Boss, Sunset, and Haulback off the NPE and then headed down the meandering wooded pathway Brookway back to the main base area. The Little Sister beginner area was getting a bunch of love:

F7B614AB-0ABD-42E9-9877-97E2E0AF2F85-155

We got in line for the Gondi, which had like 50 people waiting, but the line was really only 3-4 minutes long, and we decided to head over to the Governor's Lodge area and hop on the Kancamangus Express. We hit Rampasture, Rumrunner, Lower Speakeasy, and Snubber before heading back over to hit up the upper half of Loon Mountain Park. They were grooming out the bottom section. It had several rails and a couple table tops. Some jibbers were present:

61F16EC7-0820-4EEE-B74C-6382FEDC4101-155

Finally we decided to call it a day around 1 PM. The cold was finally getting to us and we had a great day. Loon must have the first super pipe in the east this season, and we decided to hit that last:

B40037EE-DADC-4424-BB49-BF2F1722D06E-155

All in all, another great change of pace day at Loon. They had great coverage and plenty of terrain. They still had some trails that hadn't been open yet, but their snowmaking crew was pretty busy and they should have that taken care of in the next week or two. It was nice getting back to the South Peak, especially since the last time I was there 3 years ago, Twitcher and Jobber hadn't even been cut yet. I was surprised at how busy they were, but apparently NH has longer breaks than Mass and ME, so there were still people on vacation there. The one thing they really lack there is glades, but I'm sure they will start working on that. It's a small compact mountain, but it gets a bad rap. It's fun and has plenty of terrain to keep you entertained for a couple days, especially if your a park rat.

• Like 5

I'm not ashamed to admit it, especially because there isn't even one inkling of proof to the contrary, but she is the better rider... Hands down...

Nothing wrong with that dude, your living the dream. You plucked one the .00000000001% of women who like and are good at snow sports.

I wish my wife was going hurry up JL your slow ass means we are missing pow pow LOL

• Like 2

Now if you could just learn to spend more time on the lady friend and less on this site worrying about PA mountains….

Actually more time on this site with pics of the lady friend wouldn't hurt. (joke - can't find a wink emoticon)

Seriously nice TR - Is that Tuckerman's in the background of the last picture?

Seriously nice TR - Is that Tuckerman's in the background of the last picture?

I'm still getting acquainted to the geography of the region. If Tuck's is right beside Mt. Washington, than no, that is not it. Mount Washington is farther off to the left. If not, then that could be Tuck's...