Camelback Sold! $69M

RootDKJ

10/10/2013

SAM Magazine--Tannersville, Pa., October 10, 2013--Spirit Realty Capital, Inc., the real estate investment trust (REIT) that owned Camelback Mountain Resort, announced that it has sold Camelback Mountain Resort for $69.25 million, representing a "significant gain on its original investment," says the press release. The REIT bought the area in 2005.

"Camelback was a good investment and profitable holding, but it was not consistent with our core principle of investing in operationally essential properties that are generally smaller and more flexible in terms of potential reuse," said Thomas H. Nolan, Jr., chairman and CEO of Spirit Realty.

The release does not indicate to whom that area was sold. Camelback GM Charles Blier told SAM that it is business as usual at the resort. More to follow.

http://www.saminfo.com/news/camelback-sold-0

Well, I'd hate for the Poconos to lose a ski area because real estate and hotels were the only thing bringing in money.. Even if you don't ski there, it would impact you if all those people started filling the corrals at Blue.

Edited by sibhusky
  • Like 1

Even though Camelback is one of the crappiest places to ski in PA, I think they could have got more money..the mountain coaster, zip line, water park, several lodges and buildings and all the modern equipment..I say that because the new blue mountain waterpark is projected to cost about $30 million to build and there's no way it will do the kind of #'s as camelbeach based on location alone!!!

Once again, wasn't it bought in 05 by a local businessman?

I think he bought it for $48 mil if I remember correctly, so that's a $21 mil gain. That probably includes debt, so they are probably on the hook for even more than the $69 mil. Imagine what it would have cost if they had finished the hotel/waterpark. Is that still going in? They break ground?

Berry was in the papers as the owner of cb. Unsure how he fits into all of this. If you remember he also showed interest in sno at the time of the sale.

When was the waterpark built?

I've been riding CB since 01, and it has been there since then...

It's been there since the 1980's.

I miss Blue even more after seeing those pictures.

Except Blue had closed 2 weeks before. Blue definitely has better terrain and vert, but when it's April 5/6, you've gotta take what you can get. I wouldn't complain about a short drive to keep skiing in PA during April.

And ski dude and skimom... Sibhusky do u still keep in touch with skimom?? I think she unfriended me on Facebook but I'm still friends with ski dude on there.

And Papasteeze had a house in northridge. I miss that guy.

Skimom? Absolutely. And with Adam.

Let's just hope the new owners will keep the alien program and staying open until April.

April 4, 2013

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

April 5, 2013

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

April 6, 2013

IMG_1307.JPG

Skiing Camelback in after Blue closes is a love/hate thing.

while it's always nice to be able to ski somewhere locally after blue closes, conditions were absolutely horrible that day. pretty sure we just stuck it out til barley creek opened and then drank away our sorrows. i can't think of a positive experience i've had at camelback in years, as far as interactions with the mountain/its employees go. that place finds a way to screw me over every time i'm there.

while it's always nice to be able to ski somewhere locally after blue closes, conditions were absolutely horrible that day. pretty sure we just stuck it out til barley creek opened and then drank away our sorrows. i can't think of a positive experience i've had at camelback in years, as far as interactions with the mountain/its employees go. that place finds a way to screw me over every time i'm there.

Maybe the problem is you, Mr Cranky.

• Like 3

Saturday did suck, but Thursday and Friday were awesome days in the sun that I'd like to repeat.