Sochi 2014

toast21602

• 7 months later...

I'm not surprised at all that most countries aren't interested in this. Between the IOC, and the fact that 90% of these facilities are useless after the events are over, it doesn't make any sense to build them in the first place. If everyone could get on the same page and realize that the opulence and insane infrastructure isn't worth it, then maybe the games would scale back into something a little more desirable for host countries. 

The concept of building an Olympic Village in somewhere where there was once nothing sounds like an economic boon at first, but the sad reality of the last few olympics is that it's simply not true. If you look at Vancouver, they did it right. Used existing facilities, and built only a few extras. Currently it seems like almost everything they did for the games has been re-purposed and is in use. 

I'm not surprised at all that most countries aren't interested in this. Between the IOC, and the fact that 90% of these facilities are useless after the events are over, it doesn't make any sense to build them in the first place. If everyone could get on the same page and realize that the opulence and insane infrastructure isn't worth it, then maybe the games would scale back into something a little more desirable for host countries.

The concept of building an Olympic Village in somewhere where there was once nothing sounds like an economic boon at first, but the sad reality of the last few olympics is that it's simply not true. If you look at Vancouver, they did it right. Used existing facilities, and built only a few extras. Currently it seems like almost everything they did for the games has been re-purposed and is in use.

I was up at Whistler a year before the Olympics, and while I don't know what they did with Olympian housing, I can say that the improvements they made to the Whistler base area were very integrated and not opulent additions that would never be used. It was also an excellent time to increase the roadway to two lanes in each direction. Almost all of those improvements should be used for years to come.
  • Like 2

I've been to Sarajevo and saw some of the places. It's pretty beat up. Sarajevo in general still has some rough areas to look at. You would have never guessed it hosted the winter Olympics 

A war will do that to a place.......they hold the record for the longest siege in modern warfare...