Colorado skifari booked 4/7-4/14....

I haven't booked car rental yet due to the number of options and variable rates. I'm glad I didn't cause now a mid size SUV rental from Alamo which was $460 last week including taxes and fees is now $386. I'll wait another couple more days and see if it drops anymore.

It's also snowing now in summit county with snow in the forecast the next few days and next week.

5" new at Abasin...4" new at Copper...6" new at Aspen!!!!

have fun man...

Why does jackson close so early?  I guess people just get tired of skiing?  Seems impossible....

Jackson is very isolated from major population centers unlike Tahoe, Utah, Colorado and New England resorts so they just don't get many skier visits after March therefore their national forest service lease ends in early April. Also Jackson Holes base is fairly low elevation at just over 6,000 feet which means that it melts out quite fast as well. Grand Targhee typically stays open until mid-late April. Last year when I was in Colorado the second week of April all the resorts I visited were dead except Loveland and ABasin which are reasonably priced and a little over an hour from Denver. Places like Telluride, Steamboat and Crested Butte which are to far for the day trippers shut down in early to mid April.

Even most Jackson hole locals are sick of winter by this time of year and ready for hiking, mountain biking, golf and fishing.

Booked rental car...price dropped another $20 since two days ago. I don't want to chance it going higher. Was $360 for a week in a midsize SUV from Alamo including all taxes. 4" new snow at ABasin, 3" new at copper and 1" new at Aspen. Looking dry the next week and then a break in high pressure around the time I arrive.

Gotta say Doug, conditions are pretty bad here. I thought it just sucked at Eldora, but also bad in Winter Park. Had some friends fly in from back east and they got in very late1:30ish, so We all slept in. Got on the snow a little before 11am (which felt super weird for me). Slushy, mashed potatoes about 50 degrees today. Hanging out on the sun deck at the base of Mary Jane was nice though. I think I am hanging my skis up for the season, can't imagine it getting better with all this warm weather.

• Like 1

Just booked a room from the 7th-13th at the Silver Inn in Silverthorne. I stayed there two nights last year and the location is great near lots of bars and dining options...right next door to Target. The cheapest rate online is $80 a night...I called them direct and they said $75 a night which is reasonable so accepted that amount. The final night I'm staying in Boulder so I can see this girl who's from Emmaus. Anybody have any lodging suggestions in Boulder?? Anyway the trip is getting close. Tomorrow Im gonna start packing!!!

• Like 2

Not too many hotels in Boulder. The Outlook hotel is one of the more reasonable ones.

When I stayed in Boulder with my parents 8 years ago I stayed at homewood suites which is about 3 miles from the center of Boulder...I believe there are some other chain hotels around there. Hotel boulderado is the only one I know downtown and that may be just over my price range. I had brunch there when I visited.

So far everything has come in under budget...airfare, lodging, rental car and likely lift tickets thanks to Barbs buddy passes at copper and likely at least a day at ABasin and possibly a day at Loveland.

Philpug is gonna be in Vail as well...don't think I'm gonna visit Johnny Law in Aspen..a little far from where I'm staying. This trip isn't as much of a skifari as last year. I'd rather drive less and stay in a more centrally located area. I really like the Dillon/Silvershorne area. There's a Smashburger and an Einsteins bagel..reasonably priced Irish pub 1/2 mile from where I stay and you feel a Rocky Mountain high just walking around. Gotta remember to get cash...weed stores are cash only!!! I might visit with Chippy as well.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

The Boulderado is a boutique hotel. Prob $250-300 per night. There is also a Best Western I have stayed at when we were house hunting. Prob in the $150 range. If you are flying out the next morning just make sure you book a place "in" Boulder, or even Louisville which is the next town south. Don't book what you think is a Boulder location and end up staying in Gunbarrel because it will add at least 30 min to your airport commute. Louisville actually has a decent amount of hotels all grouped together for reasonable rates. Its about a 15-20 min drive from Boulder and you will be heading south in the direction of the airport

Edited by Barb