Looking at Windham or Hunter Thoughts

Mess

Crowds and jerks on skis are more of an issue at Windham than Hunter, though if you stick to the hardcore stuff on Hunter West you will avoid that.

Hunter has the tougher terrain and skis longer, but Windham is tougher and longer than anything in the Poconos and has the better ambiance.

If by weekend getaway you mean two ski days, I would use two different mountains rather than skiing one both days. You can ski everything on either one in a single day.

Belleayre and Plattekill are both well worth considering as well.

Plattekill needs some natural snow cover to rock, but when it gers it it is the best terrain in the Skills. If you like Mad River Glen you will like Plattekill. Never a lift line there, which makes up for the slow lifts.

Belleayre has some real nice stuff as well including a good amount of glades and ungrommed areas. But, despite stats, it skis no longer than Platekill as no TTB lift and the only lift as long approaching that only serves less than half the Mt. And that high speed lift gets some long lines.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

I will add that, if Snow Conditions are iffy, Hunter tends to be the best at making the best ski surface on the most trails of anywhere in the Skills.

The main reason that I had a Windham ticket that went unused last season.

Delco.  I am still up in the air.  Are the Catskills much better than Poconos?  I love Vermont but it is tough skiing with my wife.  She is only comfortable on beginner and intermediate trails.  I don't leave her except when she takes a break to hit a black diamond.  

Hunter is as challenging as anything in S.Vt and much more challenging than the Poconos, and the runs are as long as most S.Vt other than Stratton or Okemo (which are actually probably less challenging than Hunter).

But there is a large selection of runs to choose from, better ambience, and smaller crowds in S.Vt.

Also worth considering Gore as an alternative to S.Vt.

I like Gore. Definitely on par with S VT. Whiteface (although not even close to where you were looking to go originally) is my favorite in the East. You and your wife should head up to Lake Placid ski during the day, enjoy the night life in town. Have a good time. It's far from the Catskills but worth it.

• Like 2

Hm.  

I'd think about Plattekill as much for the town of Roxbury as anything.

Great skiing there, if there is snow, and great laid back feeling.

But honestly, if you are going to spend a lot of time on greens and blues, I would make the drive to Okemo or Stratton.  Much better, longer, more scenic cruisers.

The fun of the Catskills IMO is, when there is snow, there is some legit advanced terrain and glade skiing that you won't find in the poconos.  For groomed intermediate/beginier skiing, I suppose it's a little better, but not much.  And you don't really have the nice mellow, but full service resort vibe of say Okemo....

Any deals on Jackson Gore at Okemo?

• Like 1

The Skillz are much better imho than the Pokes. I much prefer Platty and Bell to Hunter and Windham. Windham and Hunter have the best infrastructure in the Skillz, but Windham gets boring fast, while Hunter gets crowded and icy due to the trail funneling at the top. I'll take the ambiance, terrain, and no lift lines at Platty any day. I have a soft spot for Bell, but it's really nothing more than a soft spot for no reason. It is slightly less crowded than Windham or Hunter.

Platty gets the same amount of snow as Okemo and has better woods. Gore gets equal snow to Platty but has better trees. I enjoy Gore, but at that point, you might as well go to Northern VT (SB/Stowe). The drive is negligible and the snow is better.

Stratton has a big village at the base right?  Aim for someplace like that.  The village might keep her occupied, like if she were to go in a little early, and you ski, at least she wouldnt be just starring at the trees, and looking at her watch.  

Keep in mind most of the areas in the "skills" and "daks" dont have much going on village or town wise.  Lake Placid is cool, but i dont remember much at the mountain that would keep someone entertained, who might be done skiing for the day, for any length of time.  And there is nothing going on at Gore.  That place is in the middle of fucking no where.  

• Like 1

Whiteface (although not even close to where you were looking to go originally) is my favorite in the East. You and your wife should head up to Lake Placid ski during the day, enjoy the night life in town. Have a good time.

Ding ding ding! My wife barely skis but insist we do the family trip to WF every year. The town of LP was designed for that other Nordic sport - shopping [emoji14] The lower mountain is ideal for beginners and intermediates. You can also bang out some quick laps on the mountain run pod when she cuts you loose. You could spend the duration of your extended weekend at WF and not be bored ( as opposed to the Catskills (minus platty if woods in play). Downside is it's a lot farther but it's really easy driving - nys through way to the northway.

• Like 3

Ding ding ding! My wife barely skis but insist we do the family trip to WF every year. The town of LP was designed for that other Nordic sport - shopping [emoji14] The lower mountain is ideal for beginners and intermediates. You can also bang out some quick laps on the mountain run pod when she cuts you loose. You could spend the duration of your extended weekend at WF and not be bored ( as opposed to the Catskills (minus platty if woods in play). Downside is it's a lot farther but it's really easy driving - nys through way to the northway.

QFT and lift tickets at WF are cheaper than in Vermont..

I had heard North Creek (Gore) was having a little bit of a renaissance downtown with train service being restored, but not sure what that means exactly. If that is true, then that's only a very short drive from the mountain.

I remember driving through North Creek 2 years ago and it was pretty dead. Would be cool if they revived it. Lots of ski town potential.

I haven't been up to hunter, windham and belleayre in several years. Are the Catskills still a super depressed area? The last time I was up there a lot of the former motels and restaurants were shut down...I feel like the Catskills were much more popular in the 90s. I know back then hunter used to do 500k skier visits per year amoung the leaders in the east and I don't think they do that much anymore.