01/10 - Mountain Creek. Wow.

eaf

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, you're right. I should've said "irrational" or "conservative", children generally are more inclined to explore.

You all crack me up. "I've read it sucks", "I've studied map, and it's no good". I've just been there. It's awesome NOW. Don't know what's gonna be there in a week or two. I admit, on average snow here is not good.

But you're all like a broken record. True Blue... Light of Blue... Really, whatever makes you feel good. Yeah BM is great. This doesn't mean there's not something better. Come out of your comfy circles and see for yourself.

I don't wanna ride a slow connector lift, I don't want to use a stand up gondola, I don't want to have to park in Kansas, I don't want to drive 2 hours to ski an inferior place to what I have a half hour away, I don't want to ski in jersey unless it's indoors or involves doing lines off a strippers tits in the backroom of the Bada Bing nightclub..and Bruce Springsteen sucks..I mean his songs are ok, if you're in the mood to cut yourself.  

IMG_2246.JPG

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Mmm. Not wanting to go to Mountain Creek doesn't sound irrational to me. Or conservative. Just has absolutely zero appeal. I'm glad you had fun. I just said if I'm gonna drive 2 hours, I'd rather go to Elk. 

Elk doesn't have four mountain peaks, a stand up gondola or lots of trail merges and connections for exploration...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don't wanna ride a slow connector lift, I don't want to use a stand up gondola, I don't want to have to park in Kansas, I don't want to drive 2 hours to ski an inferior place to what I have a half hour away, I don't want to ski in jersey unless it's indoors or involves doing lines off a strippers tits in the backroom of the Bada Bing nightclub..and Bruce Springsteen sucks..I mean his songs are ok, if you're in the mood to cut yourself.  

IMG_2246.JPG

Haha. Funny you mentioned Bada Bing. I'm watching  Sopranos on Amazon. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, you're right. I should've said "irrational" or "conservative", children generally are more inclined to explore.

You all crack me up. "I've read it sucks", "I've studied map, and it's no good". I've just been there. It's awesome NOW. Don't know what's gonna be there in a week or two. I admit, on average snow here is not good.

But you're all like a broken record. True Blue... Light of Blue... Really, whatever makes you feel good. Yeah BM is great. This doesn't mean there's not something better. Come out of your comfy circles and see for yourself.

Eaf, I'm in the minority here, but you've convinced me to check it out. I like exploring new mountains even if they're not a Vail, Killington, or Blue...

...oh wait, a stand up gondola? Nevermind, I think I'll have to pass.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, momskeeztoo said:

Haha. Funny you mentioned Bada Bing. I'm watching  Sopranos on Amazon. 

My dad grew up in Bloomfield and sometimes visits Holsteins where Tony Soprano got whacked. 

Anyway i like NJ..we do a lot of business in that state as its affluent and the most densely populated state. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Eaf, I'm in the minority here, but you've convinced me to check it out. I like exploring new mountains even if they're not a Vail, Killington, or Blue...

Salty you'll love mountain creek the same way you love impromptu prostate exams behind the dumpster at the Chinese buffet. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My dad grew up in Bloomfield and sometimes visits Holsteins where Tony Soprano got whacked. 

Anyway i like NJ..we do a lot of business in that state as its affluent and the most densely populated state. 

I grew up in New Jersey. A lot of my family is there. I could never live there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I was digging your report until the childish comment. Broken record? How many times have you made comments chastising people on wide skis?

Comfy circles? I'm willing to bet that most of the posters that you're referring to in your comment have skied more places around the country (or countries) than the majority of skiers you'll meet.

Season pass vs no season pass. Narrow vs wide. Who cares? Different strokes and all that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, sorry, I'll pass even if it's a free lift ticket. MC is only 40 minutes away from me but I'd rather take the longer drive to Blue, Shawnee or up into the Catskills.  I'd pay to ski Camelback before I'd ski MC for free.

I grew up skiing at Mountain Creek, only back then it was called Vernon Valley/Great Gorge.  I have some great memories skiing with my dad and brother there.  There's gotta be a good reason why that place changes ownership every few years.  Intrawest killed that place by trying to make it a mini Stratton (village).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Yeah, sorry, I'll pass even if it's a free lift ticket. MC is only 40 minutes away from me but I'd rather take the longer drive to Blue, Shawnee or up into the Catskills.  I'd pay to ski Camelback before I'd ski MC for free.

I grew up skiing at Mountain Creek, only back then it was called Vernon Valley/Great Gorge.  I have some great memories skiing with my dad and brother there.  There's gotta be a good reason why that place changes ownership every few years.  Intrawest killed that place by trying to make it a mini Stratton (village).

Well, you know what, that's been my attitude for years. I've even been less than enthusiastic about getting that WNEP card this year because contrary to the PA Card instead of BM it has MC on it. I've been to MC many times in the past, long, very long ago. I remember visiting it in early spring with the South/Bear peaks completely melt down while there was still snow on Shawnee, remember struggling with ice on the Granite peak and falling hard on the Vernon. It was kind of hit and miss most of the time, the tickets were cheap, so were the season passes, and since driving distance to MC or PA mountains for was kind of the same, on average I gravitated toward PA.

But this year, due to the cold weather and good opportunity of snowmaking in NJ, conditions at MC have taken me by surprise. I am actually sorry for not visiting it earlier this January while it was cold. With tomorrow's rain and increased temperatures, IDK what it will be like in a week. But in my books yesterday's MC was far, far better than my this year's visits to Shawnee, JFBB and even BM because frankly I know most of nearby PA mountains by heart now, sometimes it's hard to stay on the lift w/o counting time till the next lodge visit because you know what, it's the same run over and over again, the same one you've skied 5 times this visit and a gazillion times this or prior seasons. At MC yesterday snow conditions were as good as at BM. And not for a moment did I feel bored of traversing a familiar terrain.

It was pure joy of good snow and fun of relearning all the major trails and connectors.

11 hours ago, saltyant said:

Dude, plenty of that in big mountains. Get used to it while you can. The real bad part though is that here you have to do it often.

21 minutes ago, eaf said:

Well, you know what, that's been my attitude for years. I've even been less than enthusiastic about getting that WNEP card this year because contrary to the PA Card instead of BM it has MC on it. I've been to MC many times in the past, long, very long ago. I remember visiting it in early spring with the South/Bear peaks completely melt down while there was still snow on Shawnee, remember struggling with ice on the Granite peak and falling hard on the Vernon. It was kind of hit and miss most of the time, the tickets were cheap, so were the season passes, and since driving distance to MC or PA mountains for was kind of the same, on average I gravitated toward PA.

But this year, due to the cold weather and good opportunity of snowmaking in NJ, conditions at MC have taken me by surprise. I am actually sorry for not visiting it earlier this January while it was cold. With tomorrow's rain and increased temperatures, IDK what it will be like in a week. But in my books yesterday's MC was far, far better than my this year's visits to Shawnee, JFBB and even BM because frankly I know most of nearby PA mountains by heart now, sometimes it's hard to stay on the lift w/o counting time till the next lodge visit because you know what, it's the same run over and over again, the same one you've skied 5 times this visit and a gazillion times this or prior seasons. At MC yesterday snow conditions were as good as at BM. And not for a moment did I feel bored of traversing a familiar terrain.

It was pure joy of good snow and fun of relearning all the major trails and connectors.

You and your freaking lodge visits lol do you have any ski trips planned soon?

1 hour ago, eaf said:

I'm going to Austria about same time you're flying to JH.

Nice how many ski days?  Where are you skiing?  My plan is to travel to Europe this summer..maybe return to amsterdam(last time was with ex so I could do all the fun stuff) and then ski trip over there soon thereafter and also gotta ski in Japan while I'm still relatively young. 

Nice how many ski days?  Where are you skiing?  My plan is to travel to Europe this summer..maybe return to amsterdam(last time was with ex so I could do all the fun stuff) and then ski trip over there soon thereafter and also gotta ski in Japan while I'm still relatively young. 

I’d like to do Japan. And I’d like to do a heli day or two sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

For a week. Arlberg. https://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/panorama/

It's one giant ski area, once on the snow you can roam around by taking lifts and skiing down. We'll be living in Warth, which is the quieter place compared to the more famous and hence busy St. Anton and Lech.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eaf said:

For a week. Arlberg. https://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/panorama/

It's one giant ski area, once on the snow you can roam around by taking lifts and skiing down. We'll be living in Warth, which is the quieter place compared to the more famous and hence busy St. Anton and Lech.

Nice are you going with a ski club?

39 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice are you going with a ski club?

Frankly, every time when that Princeton ski club posts a trip, it ends up costing more than if I just went there by myself or with friends. Plus I'm antisocial. ;) So no, there is just a group of 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

One trail with any excitement. Lifts bite. Crowded, mostly with boarders. Went there some when I lived 45 min away, but even then I would often go to the smaller Hidden  Valley across the street instead.

When Ski2Live is the voice of reason you know we have an oddball poster. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing

Jeez, I'm amazed there is just no love for a NJ mountain even among New Jersians. I'm gonna be there next Thursday night. And it's gonna snow on Wednesday. I'll live you all envy me evading biting lifts, listening to rap with girls, high-fiving drunk boarders and looking for that single trail that gave Ski2Live so many happy memories.

Edited by eaf