Blue Mountain Death

toast21602

http://www.wfmz.com/689855039

L. TOWAMENSING TWP., Pa. - The Carbon County coroner said one person died after a skiing incident at Blue Mountain Ski Resort Sunday.

A spokesperson for the resort said a man was fatally injured on one of the double black diamond trails.

The coroner's office was called to the mountain around 9 p.m.

State police have not released any information.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim's family," Blue Mountain said in a statement to 69 News.

The man's identity has not yet been released. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.

• Sad 4

Wow. Wonder how it went down . . .

Sunday just didn't feel right on the slopes to me. Pops and I quit after a half dozen runs, I told him I just felt weird and was done with the day. Between the snowboarder who tried to take 4 PASRs swimming, the dude walking over everyone's skis to cut across the line to get with his group, the hundred race tots on Burma, my annoyance at the race training on Widow, it was just a day I was ready to get off the snow.

Not that any of that compares to this, just I felt strange and *then* this that night . . .

46 minutes ago, saltyant said:

These stories are so depressing. Every time I ski Hump at CB I think of the snowboarder who died last year. Wonder if it was someone who was skiing beyond their ability, or a collision with someone? 

Ski deaths are almost always somebody that gets out of control and crashes into a tree, lift tower or snowmaking equipment.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Wouldnt it have to be challenge cause razors was closed? Unless it was a racer. Weird cause i didnt ski challenge all weekend

Could have been nightmare as well that's a double diamond but I assume challenge.  Most skiing deaths occur on Blue square trails that's where lower level skiers go the fastest. 

54 minutes ago, saltyant said:

These stories are so depressing. Every time I ski Hump at CB I think of the snowboarder who died last year. Wonder if it was someone who was skiing beyond their ability, or a collision with someone? 

You slid down so whatever

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, indiggio said:

And typically w/out a helmet.

"The increase in the number of people who wear helmets hasn’t resulted in fewer fatalities. Helmets are designed to protect riders at about 12 mph, while a skier or snowboarder who collides with a tree or another rider is typically going 25 to 40 mph."

Source:  http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/03/26/7-surprising-facts-ski-deaths-injuries/

• Thanks 1

Just now, indiggio said:

Feel free to test their statistics, but I'm wearing one.

Same. Couple of years ago I spent three months in the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Neurology ICU watching a family member recover from a traumatic brain injury from falling off a step ladder. Ditched my then-current helmet and got one with MIPS in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What is MIPS??  

Supposed to turn a direct hit into a glancing blow sort of, but having a slipping layer inside the main helmet. 

http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

I don't know how much better, if any, it is than a regular helmet but I decided I wanted the best protection I could get and figured it couldn't hurt. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've never done a tombstone for a skier..now for motorcyclists we've done several...imagine skiing amoung cars and tractor trailers. 

I do it all summer long.

If I go on the ski slope, at least I will have been doing something I enjoyed up until the bitter end.

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCat said:

Supposed to turn a direct hit into a glancing blow sort of, but having a slipping layer inside the main helmet. 

http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

I don't know how much better, if any, it is than a regular helmet but I decided I wanted the best protection I could get and figured it couldn't hurt. 

Gotcha. I have my first and only helmet from 12 years ago..I've never fallen on my head so far.  Actually just one fall so far in 31 days out but I'm sure I'll fall once or twice in Jackson hole.